Sorry, Chip Malfronte | The Boneyard

Sorry, Chip Malfronte

Reaction Score
Once again a reporter got it wrong. Writing for the New Haven Register, Chip Malfronte said that there's a lack of depth in women's college basketball and that UConn has a lock on the top recruits. Saniya was a one player class and not at the top of the rankings. Gabby and Kia were next. Then Katie Lou and Napheesa. This past year Crystal was a top recruit. Along the way we lost Sadie Edwards and Da'Janae Boykin. As far as monopolizing recruits, where have the following players gone: Aja Wilson, Kelsey Plum, Brionna Jones, Nina Davis, Kelsey Mitchell, Lauren Cox, Alaina Coates, Mercedes Russell, Asia Durr. Do I need to keep going. How ridiculous of him to say so. There are another 50 or 60 names at least of top recruits that didn't go to UConn. Open your eyes, Chip. Stop perpetuating the lie that Geno and UConn get all the top recruits. Coaching has made the difference, and the type of player UConn recruits.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You would think a paper who covers the team full time would have a sports editor who would immediately question the validity of this premise with having the reporter present facts vs. poor opinion. Jim Fuller should immediately write a repudiation.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Once again a reporter got it wrong. Writing for the New Haven Register, Chip Malfronte said that there's a lack of depth in women's college basketball and that UConn has a lock on the top recruits. Saniya was a one player class and not at the top of the rankings. Gabby and Kia were next. Then Katie Lou and Napheesa. This past year Crystal was a top recruit. Along the way we lost Sadie Edwards and Da'Janae Boykin. As far as monopolizing recruits, where have the following players gone: Aja Wilson, Kelsey Plum, Brionna Jones, Nina Davis, Kelsey Mitchell, Lauren Cox, Alaina Coates, Mercedes Russell, Asia Durr. Do I need to keep going. How ridiculous of him to say so. There are another 50 or 60 names at least of top recruits that didn't go to UConn. Open your eyes, Chip. Stop perpetuating the lie that Geno and UConn get all the top recruits. Coaching has made the difference, and the type of player UConn recruits.
Sorry, while he was wrong (I believe) on both counts you list, you then go off into nonsense land as well.

UConn gets recruits that are, collectively, among the best available. Annually. Only a few teams are anywhere near as talented (at every position) as UConn. Top to bottom, there are few years where UConn would not be in the top 5 teams if talent was measurable, and many years I sincerely believe the most talented.

That isn't a knock on anything. They excel to the level they do because of the type of players they are - and how they are coached. But don't insult the quality of players that - because of his success and style - Geno is able to recruit.

Reaction Score
The arguement that UConn gets all the top recruits is factually wrong and intellectually lazy. Geno gets enough of the type of players that he wants, but the large majority of what the ranking services term 'top recruits' go elsewhere.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno gets many top recruits: Nykesha, Shea, Tamika, Diana, Annie, Tina, Maya, kaleena, Stewie, KLS, Megan. He's also done some great evaluating: Rizzotti, Kara, jamelle, kelly Faris, Stef, etc. However he does it, Geno gets a ton of talent to come to UConn and does terrific things developing that talent when the kids make it to Storrs.

I don't see a problem or anything controversial. Eleven NCs, six perfect seasons, and four the five longest winning streaks in wcbb, are all you need to know about Geno Auriemma.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In the last 20 year there have been 5 transcendent players in WCBB. A transcendent player is one that if surrounded by good talent and adequate coaching that team is almost assured of wining a Championship. The transcendent players in the last 20 years have included Candice Parker, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Elena DelleDonne & Breanna Stewart. So there should be no argument that UCONN When you surround a transcendent player with better than good players you form a dynasty & BTW the UCONN coaching has been more than adequate.

Reaction Score
KnightBridgeAZ, you're the one who's delusional. Saniya Chong, Kyla Irwin, Molly Bent, Natalie Butler are not top tier talents. How many guards would you rank above Kia and Saniya? More than a few would be ranked above both on talent. It's the coaching that makes these players reach levels they wouldn't normally. Yes, even the "stars" reach levels that they wouldn't in other programs, but if Saniya, Kyla, Molly and Natalie had gone to other colleges, how successful would they be? Natalie was the Big East freshman of the year, and when she transferred to UConn most UConn fans had no idea who she was. The only insult is you insulting me. I didn't insult any of the players. You read into my post something that wasn't there. Read more carefully next time.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The guy is a hockey scribe. For whatever reason, he was publishing beyond his range. It's OK, Chip. But don't make a habit of it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
KnightBridgeAZ, you're the one who's delusional. Saniya Chong, Kyla Irwin, Molly Bent, Natalie Butler are not top tier talents. How many guards would you rank above Kia and Saniya? More than a few would be ranked above both on talent. It's the coaching that makes these players reach levels they wouldn't normally. Yes, even the "stars" reach levels that they wouldn't in other programs, but if Saniya, Kyla, Molly and Natalie had gone to other colleges, how successful would they be? Natalie was the Big East freshman of the year, and when she transferred to UConn most UConn fans had no idea who she was. The only insult is you insulting me. I didn't insult any of the players. You read into my post something that wasn't there. Read more carefully next time.
I happen to think that it is precisely the coaching that gets the performances out of the players UConn gets. If Geno gets lets say the 20th best player at her position, I'll bet that 9 times out of 10 that, at UConn, she plays like she was one of the 10 best players. If he gets the 10th best at her position, she plays like a top 5. Then you have the top 5 he gets - Maya, Brianna, etc.

This years team is not - in my opinion - as naturally talented as some of UConn's past teams. How are they playing?

But most - I say most - college teams simply do not have the talent that UConn has. And certainly not year in and year out. This year for sure there are other teams, although none have Geno to make them play as spectacularly as UConn. But who really could equal last year's team with the players that came back this year and the 3 WNBA top draft picks? Some other team had more talent?

My argument is not with you, per se, (as I said in my post, you are correct that the writer was incorrect) it is with all the UConn fans who think that acknowledging the skills of the great players that Geno brings to UConn (and then makes better than they could imagine they could be) somehow diminishes what Geno does. To me, it is an integral part of what he does.

As I have said before, I don't think UConn wins simply because of the talent - but I believe when they are dominating and beating top teams by 30 points, it is their level of talent that is the difference between simply winning and dominating.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
this season I would have thought Russell and DeSheilds would have been dominating like Stewie and Jefferson... coming out of HS with all the fanfare

Reaction Score
Sorry, while he was wrong (I believe) on both counts you list, you then go off into nonsense land as well.

UConn gets recruits that are, collectively, among the best available. Annually. Only a few teams are anywhere near as talented (at every position) as UConn. Top to bottom, there are few years where UConn would not be in the top 5 teams if talent was measurable, and many years I sincerely believe the most talented.

That isn't a knock on anything. They excel to the level they do because of the type of players they are - and how they are coached. But don't insult the quality of players that - because of his success and style - Geno is able to recruit.

I frequently disagree with you and on this count I disagree as well. We've had two years of not landing a top 5 recruit - how do you explain this year? SO the "annually" comment you made is frankly wrong.

Yes Geno can't win without recruiting well - and it is the recruits that are most important. But to say "annually" that is just so wrong.

Reaction Score
There is no question that UConn lands some top recruits, but nothing like all of them. Geno gets the top recruit some years, but often the top recruit is not a UConn-type player and goes elsewhere. If reporters would say something like that, it would at least be accurate,

Reaction Score
Please send what you wrote to New Haven Register and Chip Malfronte and ask him to follow his own state's college WBB closer.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What is clear is that most of the time UCONN lands the right top recruits. Ones willing to commit to a team concept suppressing personal accolades for the benefit and goals of the team's. If the personal accolades come, great, but that is not what they are pursuing.

They, also, find the right support players who are willing to endure practices maximizing their growth and development and giving it all in practice for team, as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom