Sons of Liberty | The Boneyard

Sons of Liberty

Reaction Score
Three part series just ended on History Channel. Taped it but havent seen yet.

Any reviews? Worth watching?

Reaction Score
G0UCONN said:
Three part series just ended on History Channel. Taped it but havent seen yet. Any reviews? Worth watching?

Entertaining, hits the major events, but I wouldn't call it accurate by any means. Some things are embellished, others are just made up.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally believe that The History Channel should change their name to The Sort of History Channel.

It looks like the mini-series was merely an attempt by Sam Adam's Beer (Boston Beer Company) to elaborate, embellish and exaggerate the role of their beer's namesake in the American Revolution. He was an important figure in the early resistance. In the series he was portrayed as basically the resistance.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Agree with pretty much all of these posts. Sam Adams was a married, middle aged, pudgy, balding tax collector (and had been 9 years, not the 1 portrayed in the series) not the young, single, brooding guy who single handedly sparked the American Revolution that is portrayed in the show.

sons23tvf-2-web.jpg

I get it though, I mean who wants to watch a show about this guy...

Sam_Adams.jpg

The poetic license quote above was generous. They pretty much rewrote the American revolution to make it a beer ad. Some of the choices were pretty curious. One of my favorite parts of the Lexington/Concord narrative is how after the British stomped the 'disorganized rabble' of the minutemen on the green, the colonials proceeded to pepper them with gun fire all the way back to Boston turning a clear British victory into devastating engagement. That's a pretty compelling storyline that they wrote out of the narrative.

That said, it was thoroughly watchable.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Saw the first episode thinking the series was over three weekends. Oops.

Anyway...hate how Sam Adams, John Adams and Dr Warren all look alike Confusing as hell.

First episode was a sleep inducer.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Couldn't get over the cop from Breaking Bad as Franklin.

Reaction Score
Saw the first episode thinking the series was over three weekends. Oops.

Anyway...hate how Sam Adams, John Adams and Dr Warren all look alike Confusing as hell.

First episode was a sleep inducer.
If you missed the last 2 episodes, they have been rerunning them at various times on History Channel & History Channel 2. Probably are also available on demand.

As for them all looking alike, pony tails, tricornered hats, long overcoats & stockings will do that to you.;)

Reaction Score
A pretty fair effort for what was obviously a closely watched production budget. It looked and felt right. They tried mighty with varying success to get the big "Bruckheimer" type shots into the Bunker Hill scenes. Which we all know is really Breed Hill. The eastern European set work is very good. There is a lot of production over there and you can tell that the craftsman have become very skilled.

There were many liberties taken in Liberty but I enjoyed it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I decided to not waste my time on this. The real story is good enough. Why don't they just change the name to the Historical Fiction Channel?

Reaction Score
I personally believe that The History Channel should change their name to The Sort of History Channel.
Ha, agreed....at least for their "series". The upside is at least they are mixing it up a bit in the programming department over the past year or so. For years my wife called it The Hitler Channel b/c about 75% of the programming had to do with WWII or something related to the Nazi Party. Not that I minded b/c I am fascinated by history, especially military history, but glad to see they've bringing new programming.

Reaction Score
When Sam Adams killed a soldier at the "Massacre" in the first episode I was out for the rest. Maybe I have read to much about Sam & John Adams and Joseph Warren who if not killed at Bunker Hill could have been one of the greatest patriots this country has ever seen and one of the 'founding fathers'.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom