Some reasons to look forward to this season. | The Boneyard

Some reasons to look forward to this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
1) I believe we've bottomed out. The Army & SMU losses were horrible. I think those days are behind us.
2) The new helmets & uniforms ... they're not as good as the block "C", but they're better than what we had.
3) Diaco was a disaster last year, but I think (hope) he's a quick learner.
4) The QB situation should be better. Many years we've wondered how good we could be if we just had an average QB. We may now have that.

I'd like too see other positive opinions from those that follow the program closer than I do.

Reaction Score
A glass half full thread. I like it.

I agree with #1. I like the new unis better than the block C. I think HCBD did favor development over W/Ls, which wasn't a bad thing LAST YEAR. This year W/Ls are more important -- think the jury is still out on game-day management. I will reserve judgement on the QB situation until I've seen the two transfer newbies in a significant amount of action.

We are still very young. Therefore, I think this year we will see further development, which in turn will translate into a few more wins. However, I am REALLY excited for 2016.

Reaction Score
New uniforms (particularly the helmets) have grown on me a lot since they debuted. Helmets seemed ridiculously generic at first, but when compared to traditional programs like Nebraska or LSU, you get a better sense of what they're going for. Personally, I hope they have gray pants to go with the gray uniforms. White helmets with home blue jerseys and gray pants might be a nice look for them at home. Somewhere between Patriots/Giants.

Reaction Score
I look forward to every season.

There is usually pessimism on the BY because this team has disappointed when it has had the chance to surprise. They have had the talent to play much better than they have performed. But that is on the coaches not the kids.

Reaction Score
No cynicism or pessimism here. Only realism and optimism. It's our time to be the surprise team of 2015. Great preparation leading to nearly flawless execution. I see 7-5 or better. Join me on the bandwagon. Come jump onboard and get excited! Watch out Villanova--this isn't the team that played Fordham. Be afraid.

Reaction Score
1) I believe we've bottomed out. The Army & SMU losses were horrible. I think those days are behind us.
2) The new helmets & uniforms ... they're not as good as the block "C", but they're better than what we had.
4) The QB situation should be better. Many years we've wondered how good we could be if we just had an average QB. We may now have that.

I'd like too see other positive opinions from those that follow the program closer than I do.
the better the football team, the better we look to other conferences. my hope is that we go to a bowl game this year. then next year make the top 20 in rankings.

Reaction Score
Things to look forward to:
  • Better QB play and that will be accomplished by....
  • Better O-line play which should also lead to....
  • A better running attack, opening the door for....
  • A more effective option play.
  • Looking forward to UConn beating the teams they should beat (Villanova, Army, USF, Tulane), then.....
  • Beating a couple they CAN win(Navy, ECU, Houston, Temple) and maybe....
  • Pulling off an upset
  • Looking forward to reading the Boneyard discussion in late November about which bowl the Huskies might end up in :)

Reaction Score
- The QB situation may not be average but it should absolutely be better than last year
- the number one thing I look forward to this year is Ron Johnson having a breakout year and becoming the face of this program... Nike jersey # and all
- getting back to having a dominate D
- the ECU night game, if Uconn is over .500 that game day crowd atmosphere should be electric!
- while it's our home the American making a name for itself with a bunch of high profile p5 wins.... Lots of good games to open the season and I'll be watching them and rooting conference mates on
- Rutgers falling back to irrelevancy

Grain of salt

- this is a tough tough schedule so .500 and a bowl maybe too much to ask for considering where we are coming from vs opposing teams
- crozier was a huge loss in a time where we are begging for oline improvement
- loss of our top returning TE
- Again....scary opponents to start things off, it's very possible we are 1-5 heading into USF... Not because we haven't gotten better but because of the programs we play who are at the top of their games. Yet the end of the season could be marked as all wins and a bowl... That would be serious momentum going into next year. USF may be this programs turning point if they keep their heads up.

Reaction Score
Things to look forward to:
  • Better QB play and that will be accomplished by....
  • Better O-line play which should also lead to....
  • A better running attack, opening the door for....
  • A more effective option play.
  • Looking forward to UConn beating the teams they should beat (Villanova, Army, USF, Tulane), then.....
  • Beating a couple they CAN win(Navy, ECU, Houston, Temple) and maybe....
  • Pulling off an upset
  • Looking forward to reading the Boneyard discussion in late November about which bowl the Huskies might end up in :)
On better QB play. I like Bryant Sherriff's dual threat capabilities and Garrett Anderson looks like he has similar characteristics. I know going into the season that Sherriff's is the lead candidate for the job. From what I have read and seen, I like Sherriffs and have no problem with him being the starter. I just have a premonition that Tim Boyle is going to emerge. I am not a Xavier, Tim Boyle loyalist but he has tremendous talent and I have a feeling that the talent, leadership, maturity, experience and desire is going to come together for this kid. I believe the fear is gone and he wants it. I could be wrong but I think everyone should keep there eye out for Tim Boyle in 2015. Having said all this, I believe this team will send out a message to other teams that we have different capabilities at QB. The coaching staff will want to make things difficult for teams to prepare for UCONN. Regardless of who starts, I think we will see different looks at QB at various times in the game depending on who we are playing.

Reaction Score
I'm optimistic for several reasons: the improved OL play at the Spring Game, the first year of a new HC is usually tough and he basically "cleaned house", we had negative turnover margin last year (if we can flip that around it will make a huge difference), great talent at RB and WR (Noel Thomas), we start off with three home games in the first four so we can build momentum, and a new QB who can run a little which can open up our running game and keep opposing defenses honest.

I liked our helmets and uniforms but the last two years have left a stench that requires a change. Maybe once we regain our swagger the helmets will look cool (think old Buccaneers / Patriots helmets). I like our new helmets / uniforms as well (but I want shiny chrome helmets like the Ducks).

I'm optimistic we can go to a Bowl game this year and win the Conference next year (year 3 of Diaco).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Redding Husky said:

I have no idea if we've truly bottomed out. I'm hopefully for a turnaround but a 3-4 win season is still the bottom.

Helmet and uniforms are just that. I'm glad the are moving away from the domes of humiliation because it's just bad juju at this point. I thought the block C had the potential to be iconic a left enough room to experiment with alternate looks. Wearing a holiday tie on a holiday is fine. Looks silly on your average Tuesday.

Again, I have no idea if he is a quick learner. Seems fairly stubborn to me, but if he's right then that will be a good trait. If he's not...

We've been waiting 10 years for a better QB situation. The best we've done is not disastrous and doesn't turn the ball over. The day we have a no doubt starter who can stay on the field is the day we can begin to ponder this question.

The positive is the raw material we have on the roster. Years of suck haven't reduced the measurable on the roster.

The strength and conditioning seems to be trending in the right direction.

The defense is still very good.

Our WR group is still better than we've seen even after losing Graham and Phillips.

Secondary looks good despite losing a first rounder. LBs look better and DT look solid. Getting an edge rush and OLB speed could make this a special unit.

We have some talent at RB, not enough to overcome poor line play, but capable of a vast improvement is the line blocks just a little better.

New talent in the return game might make ST a net positive once again for the program. Kickers will be fine, a lot of depth there.

QB, Oline, turnovers, and consistent running will determine this year's outcome. My guess is a 25% improvement in any area nets one additional win over last season. Improve in all four and I say we go bowling.

Reaction Score
- The QB situation may not be average but it should absolutely be better than last year
- the number one thing I look forward to this year is Ron Johnson having a breakout year and becoming the face of this program... Nike jersey # and all
- getting back to having a dominate D
- the ECU night game, if Uconn is over .500 that game day crowd atmosphere should be electric!
- while it's our home the American making a name for itself with a bunch of high profile p5 wins.... Lots of good games to open the season and I'll be watching them and rooting conference mates on
- Rutgers falling back to irrelevancy

Grain of salt

- this is a tough tough schedule so .500 and a bowl maybe too much to ask for considering where we are coming from vs opposing teams
- crozier was a huge loss in a time where we are begging for oline improvement
- loss of our top returning TE
- Again....scary opponents to start things off, it's very possible we are 1-5 heading into USF... Not because we haven't gotten better but because of the programs we play who are at the top of their games. Yet the end of the season could be marked as all wins and a bowl... That would be serious momentum going into next year. USF may be this programs turning point if they keep their heads up.

I must be living under a rock lately, but what happened to Crozier? I've tried looking up info all over the web and couldn't find anything. Mildly off topic, I know.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I must be living under a rock lately, but what happened to Crozier? I've tried looking up info all over the web and couldn't find anything. Mildly off topic, I know.

Multiple threads here on a torn ACL.

Reaction Score
Look under the thread about the Season Ticket Holder BBQ. There was mention of it there.

Reaction Score
I am excited for the season. Had a newborn in the house last fall so My attendance was awful. Looking forward to getting a full season in this year. Don't tell my wife but I am also thinking of pulling off a trip to Mizzou as well.

Reaction Score
The new OC and other moves on the coaching staff on that side of the ball give me hope for improvement. Kudos to BD for making changes here and not standing pat. We have 2 quality offensive tackles, the guards should be fine and the choice at center will be huge. I imagine it will be open auditions at center with the loss of Crozier. As far as QB we need a play maker, a threat. Not sure if we will have that and it seems we have been sending players (outside of the CC run) out that have struggled to manage a game. Have to get improved QB play to keep up with a league that will feature offense.

Reaction Score
BD has been working 24/7 since the day the season ended. I have to believe that he is better, his approach is better, his game plans will be better, his coaches will be better. He isn't a dumb guy. He knows that some of the on field results are on him and the staff. He will demand excellence from himself and the staff as well as the players. Which has to mean we are better, yes?

(At least that's what I'm hoping)

Reaction Score
I get much of the frustration and desire for Boneyarder's to see UCONN football return to winning but frankly all this talk about we should have won this or that and Bob Diaco was on training wheels last year is getting old. Were mistakes made? Of course, no one is perfect. However, I believe the plans that were initiated by BD and staff are going to pay off in ever improving results, season by season. Recruits are believing in Bob Diaco's vision as evidenced by recent commits!

The fact is, UCONN football was in disrepair (near bankrupt!) and going nowhere unless the entire culture was drastically changed! Real and impactful change takes a time and diligence. Keeping moral up requires a visionary who can paint the big picture so the painful detailed process can be sold and worked. It requires thick skin by the coaches and players to take all the criticism from the fan base.

I am a member of the Turn Around management association. In my job I have worked with Turnaround Management executives during the depths of the recession. I know first hand that taking a company from bankruptcy back to profitability takes time and lots of effort and faith! Executives need to prove to bankers that they have a viable plan to restructure the company in order to obtain debtor in possession financing. Assets are sold. There is weeding out of unproductive employees, implementation of new rules, systems and structure. New Management is hired as they must bring in sharp people who are not afraid to make the necessary changes and take the ridicule from employees and stockholders while change is taking place.
All during this time things are a little awkward, employees and stockholders are worried but at the same time there is often times a sense of hope that for the first time in a while things are being done right and there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

This is not an instantaneous process and quite frankly much of the criticism and call for Bob Diaco's head shows a lack of understanding of what is necessary to turn UCONN into a successful BCS football program.

I am confident that Bob Diaco, staff and team will make noticeable and enduring progress in 2015. If you want more on my thoughts refer to my 12/11/2014 post on Bob Diaco.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/what-i-believe-about-bob-diaco.69530/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Confident Carl said:
All this talk about we should have won this or that and Bob Diaco was on training wheels last year is getting old. Were mistakes made? Of course, no one is perfect. However, I believe the plans that were initiated by BD and staff are going to pay off in ever improving results, season by season. Recruits are believing in Bob Diaco's vision as evidenced by recent commits! The fact is, UCONN football was in disrepair (near bankrupt!) and going nowhere unless the entire culture was changed drastically. Real and impactful change takes a time and diligence. Keeping moral up requires a visionary who can paint the big picture so the painful detailed process can be sold and worked. It requires thick skin by the coaches and players to take all the criticism from the fan base. I am a member of the Turn Around management association. In my job I have worked with Turnaround Management executives during the depths of the recession. I know first hand that taking a company from bankruptcy back to profitability takes time and lots of effort and faith! Executives need to prove to bankers that they have a viable plan to restructure the company in order to obtain debtor in possession financing. Assets are sold. There is weeding out of unproductive employees, implementation of new rules, systems and structure. New Management is hired as they must bring in sharp people who are not afraid to make the necessary changes and take the ridicule from employees and stockholders while change is taking place. This is not an instantaneous process and quite frankly much of the criticism and call for Bob Diaco's head shows a lack of understanding of what is necessary to turn UCONN into a successful BCS football program. I am confident that Bob Diaco, staff and team will make noticeable and enduring progress in 2015. If you want more on my thoughts refer to my 12/11/2014 post on Bob Diaco. http://the-boneyard.com/threads/what-i-believe-about-bob-diaco.69530/

Much of what you say is true. I do turnaround work. I'm not even saying you are wrong. But he hasn't done this before. And he has never run an offense before. So it isn't automatic that he will be successful. I think we are all hopeful that he will be better. But the way he coached was strange. If he had just told us that winning games wasn't important and the whole season was an evaluation process maybe I would feel differently.

He may build a great culture with great kids and a great defense and flame out on offense. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
True, no guarantees in life but I am putting my money on Diaco getting it done! We have all witnessed major turn around efforts going bad. And then there are the Chicago Cubs!

Reaction Score
Confident Carl said:
True, no guarantees in life but I am putting my money on Diaco getting it done! We have all witnessed major turn around efforts going bad. And then there are the Chicago Cubs!

So am I. I have a lot of faith. On offense, however, I will believe it when I see it. We haven't had a competent offense in a very long time. Other than the last couple of games with TJ/CC.

Reaction Score
I'm right where Money is. Last season was very scary regarding assessing Diaco, especially with the offense.

That said, I see some reason for optimism this season:
The OL did progress throughout last season. I think Levy and Knapp will be very good.
I am hopeful that Sherriffs gives the offense an additional dimension with his ability to run. That could be huge. Think Tyler L.
This is a young group of RBs and there is some talent.

That all said, if this offense cannot establish a physical running game, the season will be brutal.

Reaction Score
I agree with Money too with respect to Diaco. I thought his decision making was truly bizarre starting with the key backup press conference then basically grating the season like a 12 game pre-season. A friend's kid played for a new team at a small d3 school a few years ago and as a freshman they played 4-5 games against NESCAC and other JV teams. The next year they began varsity ball. That seemed to be Diaco's approach. I'd have preferred he take a page from James Franklin or Steve Addazio and try to scramble together a winning season somehow. I'm seeing more and more of Greg Schiano in this guy thoug. Seems to be a solid recruiter but awful coach on game day with lots of odd decisions. Schiano made Rutgers respectable though except for 1 season hardly the USC of the East. I guess I'd take that now. Took 4 years though and I'm not sure that is doable any more nor would it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom