Some power 5 scheduling trivia | The Boneyard

Some power 5 scheduling trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have been setting up my spreadsheets where I track wins and losses during the season, and noted the following "odd" trivia:

- most schools play at least the standard permitted 29 games. South Carolina and Penn State are the only power 5 schools this season not to play at least 29 games.

- teams that play in 3 game tourneys (subject to certain restrictions) can play an extra game, and teams that play in the pre-seaason WNIT and the Hall of Fame classic (both 4 game tourneys) can play up to 2 extra games. Not every team is doing so, but the WNIT power 5 teams are Nebraska, Missouri, Notre Dame and Washington.

- oddly enough, Oregon is playing 2 extra games, one for a 3 game tourney (in Hawai'i) and one for going to Hawai'i and playing them (another exemption). Double dipping, no?

- Iowa State has the "cushiest" travel schedule. All OOC games at home except against - wait for it - Iowa. Talk about a low travel budget . . .

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Its not often a power 5 team..... much less one that will be ranked in the top 10-15 visits a team from a low level conference. NC A&T (MEAC) here in my city will host two Power 5 teams this season. First Auburn visits in November. I had forgotten that they made the NCAA's last season..... and they should be decent again this year. In December UCLA comes to visit. I'll definitely try to make that one.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I hate the P-5 designation and especially so for basketball. It's a self described (for 5 leagues) implied quality and arrangement for football playoffs that excludes the top basketball school in the country. We're not P-5 we're G-5; I know its not your intent but technically we're not counted in your study at all.

Reaction Score
Power 5 is basically for football. All the other sports are along for the ride except for a few.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I hate the P-5 designation and especially so for basketball. It's a self described (for 5 leagues) implied quality and arrangement for football playoffs that excludes the top basketball school in the country. We're not P-5 we're G-5; I know its not your intent but technically we're not counted in your study at all.
Actually, I do track UConn. Your schedule contained none of the factors I was mentioning - you will be playing 29 games as most do. At one point, I thought about mentioning teams that are playing an OOC game in the middle of a conference game and I would have included UConn in the heading.

I don't track the American (or Big East or Atlantic 10) because, although they are a cut above the other conferences -

- I did for one year and it was too overwhelming. I track Rutgers and Arizona opponents as well as the Power 5 (so called) and UConn.
- A lot of my interest is in who these "vaunted" teams beat and don't beat and how that affects their post-seasons. While I actually am interested in some American and BE teams (for example, USF, Tulane, Villanova, DePaul) I can keep track of how they are doing without recording them on my spreadsheets. I already am tracking Temple, St. John's, Houston and Seton Hall, as Rutgers is playing them. RU and Arizona are each playing 10 non-power conference teams (and no overlap).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom