Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Median age of viewers:

Cavs/Warriors - 44.8
Mexico/Venezuela - 37.1
Pens/Sharks - 49.3
Fox NASCAR - 56.4

MLB on Fox Saturday... 60.1

There are going to be some more RSNs that go belly up because of their MLB contracts.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Median age of viewers:

Cavs/Warriors - 44.8
Mexico/Venezuela - 37.1
Pens/Sharks - 49.3
Fox NASCAR - 56.4

MLB on Fox Saturday... 60.1

There are going to be some more RSNs that go belly up because of their MLB contracts.
There are only so many erectile dysfunction ads they can throw at people.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I grew up obsessed with baseball. I still play in some big money fantasy leagues - so I follow closely but almost never watch. I listen to games in the car on XM - I thought I'd miss losing YES but I haven't even noticed.

The only game I've seen this year is the Orioles/Blue Jays game I went to.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I grew up obsessed with baseball. I still play in some big money fantasy leagues - so I follow closely but almost never watch. I listen to games in the car on XM - I thought I'd miss losing YES but I haven't even noticed.

The only game I've seen this year is the Orioles/Blue Jays game I went to.
Similar here. I'll do everything to make sure my son doesn't root for the Sox, mostly out of tradition, but I don't think he'll care much for the sport.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You touched on it above but it seems like the demise of MLB is somewhat exaggerated.

MLB Sees Record Revenues For 2015, Up $500 Million And Approaching $9.5 Billion

To your point, viewership may be down (especially YES from what I've read) and it's an older demographic, but in general I feel like the narrative that baseball is dying is built up to be something that isn't entirely true.

I grew up obsessed with playing baseball, watching the Yankees, playing the baseball video games and then fantasy and I also don't like soccer so I know I'm biased but it seems to be some people want to bury the sport (not you) but it's still a behemoth.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The other question is what is the financial pull of each demographic. That affects advertising dollars and that is where the revenue comes from.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You touched on it above but it seems like the demise of MLB is somewhat exaggerated.

MLB Sees Record Revenues For 2015, Up $500 Million And Approaching $9.5 Billion

To your point, viewership may be down (especially YES from what I've read) and it's an older demographic, but in general I feel like the narrative that baseball is dying is built up to be something that isn't entirely true.

I grew up obsessed with playing baseball, watching the Yankees, playing the baseball video games and then fantasy and I also don't like soccer so I know I'm biased but it seems to be some people want to bury the sport (not you) but it's still a behemoth.

It's not dying - but it's become extremely regional. If you are good your fans watch - if you aren't they completely check out. You don't live in CT but when the Red Sox are bad you wouldn't know they exist.

The Yankees are only averaging a bit more than a quarter million for the season and only like 233k when they go head to head with Mets (who are a touch over 300k on SNY for the year).

It's certainly not a great sign when more than half your viewers on national TV broadcasts can join AARP.

I don't see how the TV revenues don't start to decline - but baseball hit an absolute goldmine with MLBAM. Their technology is so good they are going to print money with that.

HBO Now? Runs off MLBM.
WWE? Runs off MLBAM.
Like streaming the NCAA Tourney? MLBAM.

Going to hit 1.2 billion in revenue this year only scratching the surface - and I'm pretty sure it's fully owned equally by all 30 franchises.

Reaction Score
It's not dying - but it's become extremely regional. If you are good your fans watch - if you aren't they completely check out. You don't live in CT but when the Red Sox are bad you wouldn't know they exist.

The Yankees are only averaging a bit more than a quarter million for the season and only like 233k when they go head to head with Mets (who are a touch over 300k on SNY for the year).

It's certainly not a great sign when more than half your viewers on national TV broadcasts can join AARP.

I don't see how the TV revenues don't start to decline - but baseball hit an absolute goldmine with MLBAM. Their technology is so good they are going to print money with that.

HBO Now? Runs off MLBM.
WWE? Runs off MLBAM.
Like streaming the NCAA Tourney? MLBAM.

Going to hit 1.2 billion in revenue this year only scratching the surface - and I'm pretty sure it's fully owned equally by all 30 franchises.
What exactly is mlbam? Is, it mlbab?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the WatchESPN and March Madness apps both use MLB Advanced Media back end.

It's like a winning lottery ticket in every MLB owner's pocket.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think the WatchESPN and March Madness apps both use MLB Advanced Media back end.

It's like a winning lottery ticket in every MLB owner's pocket.

March Madness app def does. They also have the NHL and PGA.

It was supposed to cost each team 4 million each over four years - turned out to be about 1.75 million before it started throwing off surpluses. It's probably worth more than the actual baseball team to about half the franchises.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It was a pure tech company independent of baseball, the hype and valuation would be over the moon.
silicon-valley-season-3-episode-8-snapmunk.jpg

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I had no clue about MLBAM - I'm assuming this was factored into their revenue as reported by the Forbes link above?

It interests me to see what sports will be the most popular here in 50 years.

As much as it pains me to say it soccer will likely only gain traction, that's for certain. And while it is by far #1 today, I have to wonder what the future holds for the NFL as it faces issues with head trauma.

Seems like that even though baseball is becoming more and more regional, there's also huge fan bases and franchises in the biggest markets that should always keep the league in the national picture.

I can envision the NBA/MLB being 1/2, soccer (MLS) and the NHL being the top 4 sports at some point due to people participating less as more and more information comes out about head injuries. Seems crazy today to think that but I guess boxing was also a top draw in history and now I couldn't even name anyone aside from Mayweather.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Don't sleep on the increasing latin american population of the united states skewing this too Baseball and soccer both are very popular in this demo. I think football's going to remain number one for a long period but it's going to have to change it's culture and it's rules pretty drastically. I also think we've reached the apex of it's popularity. The NHL has to get fighting out of the sport. I love a good hockey fight, but it's the number one reason there's serious head trauma... and it really is silly.. it doesn't really add much to the game.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I had no clue about MLBAM - I'm assuming this was factored into their revenue as reported by the Forbes link above?

It interests me to see what sports will be the most popular here in 50 years.

As much as it pains me to say it soccer will likely only gain traction, that's for certain. And while it is by far #1 today, I have to wonder what the future holds for the NFL as it faces issues with head trauma.

Seems like that even though baseball is becoming more and more regional, there's also huge fan bases and franchises in the biggest markets that should always keep the league in the national picture.

I can envision the NBA/MLB being 1/2, soccer (MLS) and the NHL being the top 4 sports at some point due to people participating less as more and more information comes out about head injuries. Seems crazy today to think that but I guess boxing was also a top draw in history and now I couldn't even name anyone aside from Mayweather.

Competitive team sports and major leagues will be dead within 50 years. Teens and 20-somethings will be watching other teens and 20-somethings play video/VR games against each other. That's already taken root as a spectator "sport". Outdoor sports will be stuff that's fringe now, and mostly stunts and extreme stuff.

I'll be long dead and buried with my McCutchen bobblehead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom