Some High Quality Writing | The Boneyard

Some High Quality Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I do enjoy good writing. By now written to death? Remember, it is just every four years. Indulge once more. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

"That first play was as handy a representation as any of the United States ethos and shared history: three generations of Connecticut Huskies playing for their old coach in Brazil, unlocking an open look with near-telepathic ease. The second spoke to the team's drive, seconds treasured because they'd all run out soon, even after the inevitable win. Anyone who's ever heard a postgame interview has learned to tune out words like "determined" and "unselfish," but in this case there are no words that work better.

That, more than anything, may be the legacy of the 2016 United States women's basketball team. The rest of the world couldn't force them into any memorable moments, so they created their own. They embodied the ideals of "basketball team" as fully and as often as they could. They won big, and in style, and with grace and meaning. In an Olympics full of blowout brilliance, no show was better."

How U.S. Women's Basketball Defined Gold Standard in Dominant Run Through Rio | VICE Sports

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Another fun article referenced in the above about Dee and Sue. Griner has her own way with words:

"There's so much knowledge between those two," said Team USA center Brittney Griner, who is on her first Olympics team. "They just trickle it down to us and make us better each and every night. It's really an honor to be able to play with D and Sue. You never know when they're going to hang up those shoes. Just to be on that court, I'm just taking it in every chance I can."

Reaction Score
I do enjoy good writing. By now written to death? Remember, it is just every four years. Indulge once more. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

"That first play was as handy a representation as any of the United States ethos and shared history: three generations of Connecticut Huskies playing for their old coach in Brazil, unlocking an open look with near-telepathic ease. The second spoke to the team's drive, seconds treasured because they'd all run out soon, even after the inevitable win. Anyone who's ever heard a postgame interview has learned to tune out words like "determined" and "unselfish," but in this case there are no words that work better.

That, more than anything, may be the legacy of the 2016 United States women's basketball team. The rest of the world couldn't force them into any memorable moments, so they created their own. They embodied the ideals of "basketball team" as fully and as often as they could. They won big, and in style, and with grace and meaning. In an Olympics full of blowout brilliance, no show was better."

How U.S. Women's Basketball Defined Gold Standard in Dominant Run Through Rio | VICE Sports
Great spot, Rocky. The entire article is tremendously well written. Makes me want to read all of his columns (it's still August....)
Robert O'Connell | VICE Sports
and looking at some of it, he is very, very good. Also writes for the Atlantic:
Robert O'Connell
What's amazing is that, so far as I can tell from both websites, this is his only article on female athletes. And yet his appreciation of them, for who they are, is terrific.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Great stuff, Rock. The melding of the poetry of language and the poetry of sport. Nothing makes me happier than to watch the exquisite play of a team (mainly Husky) such as the USA. I just want to grab everyone around me and make them concentrate on something beautiful and alive--the eloquence of nature in human form and function, approaching art.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
"Steady, soulful virtuosic, fiery, total"

Elegant summary. The author writes in the league of Red Smith and Grantland Rice.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great stuff, Rock. The melding of the poetry of language and the poetry of sport. Nothing makes me happier than to watch the exquisite play of a team (mainly Husky) such as the USA. I just want to grab everyone around me and make them concentrate on something beautiful and alive--the eloquence of nature in human form and function, approaching art.
I remember a female dancer/choreographer friend who was on the road scanning through channels in some hotel, when she discovered a Boston Celtics game - she had never watched basketball, was not a fan, but became fascinated by Larry Bird and his uncanny ability to anticipate what was going to unfold. Being involved in modern dance and its movement and spacial awareness she recognized a kindred spirit in an artist of basketball. I think Sue more than anyone else in the women's game has that ability to anticipate the patterns before they emerge to mere mortals. DT may make more dramatic passes, but they are also more direct. And Geno may be able to unravel the possibilities inherent in five people coordinating within the confines of a court, but Sue seems to be able to predict the future moments before it becomes set into it's present tense. (Moriah has some of that as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom