Social Media as a Recruiting Tool | The Boneyard

Social Media as a Recruiting Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
were barely even in the game. way behind. but hey, this board wants us to send telegrams to players and ride all night by horse to deliver offers.

Reaction Score
were barely even in the game. way behind. but hey, this board wants us to send telegrams to players and ride all night by horse to deliver offers.

Nope. We just want people to buy tix and support the program. You won't buy tix but will obtain them from a secondary source for MD & Michigan. What people object to is a whiny attention whore who won't even be a man and live up to his "no tix" policy.

Reaction Score
Here's something Pasqualoni hasn't tried. Winning as a recruiting school.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Nope. We just want people to buy tix and support the program. You won't buy tix but will obtain them from a secondary source for MD & Michigan. What people object to is a whiny attention whore who won't even be a man and live up to his "no tix" policy.

u didnt get the memo. i am not buying tix because i am not going to games in protest of p/warde and co.....

no games. until uconn starts marketing season tickets, commercials, lands a bcs game on the future schedule, calls plays on offense like a college football teams and not a hs team and so on with my complaints. when this happens, i will buy tickets. i will buy them from the school not off the internets. i know how to support uconn and help ticket numbers just like you do. im not some fool.

what you are talking about is what i was describing as whats going to happen this year. a lot of fans are non alums like me but they don't have the attachment to uconn i do. so the strategy put in play by uconn will not work. these fans will not buy this year. to many negatives from p to cr to bad marketing etcetc....so they will watch on hdtvs and nice couches inside. blow leaves in the morning or take a trip to the dump instead. they will come in for lunch a beer and watch the game while the kids do poop on the other side of the living room. if uconn wins a game or 2 maybe they buy tickets off the internets for michigan. maybe. but thats it. no one cares about ucf or memphis. we barely cared about usf. thats just how its going to be. what enables this is uconn lacking on how to fill seats and getting peoples attentions.

social meida is a great tool if you can think out a strategy to create buzz, especially when it lacks. i for a while now have watched uconn not care really. they showed a short 2 minute thought with the uconn twitter saying a couple things and retweeting pictures and the bleed blue poop but it died off quick. its because they dont understand. and that pisses me off knowing what it can be.

the old facebook when i was in hs was a college only thing but because i had a U email being at a prep school i got on it early with my classmates. then facebook evolved to where it is today. the networks used to be a big deal but now its more personal vs pride in networks and such. its a major shift. on twitter its all personal and then who u want to interact with by choice of following and searching. what lacks on twitter is a identifying network. there are millions of hash tags to solve that. but a bigger and better step can be maid. unifying the students, alums, sports heads and fans could create such a buzz and following that uconn props itself up. you have to go all in with it and use it. every team, every student, teacher and so on. market it. on orientation day they run programs for students and parents or during a summer session depending on what ever u call those introductory things have a half hour social media presentation. explain to every kid and parent that you join the family both here in person and on the internet. explain to them the school hash tag, that everyone has a responsibility both as a student and a fan to help the school. show them that every worker, teacher and athlete has one. tell them to follow everyone and interact. it helps mesh u into the school quickly. explain to them that the logo gets photoshopped into your profile pic bottom left and thats a identifying mark that your part of the family. it will spread. theres a lot more to this but i will leave it there. its a worthwhile investment by uconn to have some one do this and do it right. it can lead to very big things exposure wise. end rant...

Reaction Score
Remember UConn hired a $250k a year vp of communications, the guy from iowa? He's been on the job now since christmas.

Tyson Kendig.

He was hired because of his expertise with social media.

He's on twitter, @tysonkendig.

Although he really isn't.

His tweets are protected.

Kind of a metaphor for why UConn's repuation got its kicked when the media annointed UConn's athletic department the second coming of CCSU, two years removed from a bcs game, men's and women's bb championship, and college world series appearance.

Reaction Score
u didnt get the memo. i am not buying tix because i am not going to games in protest of p/warde and co.....

Nobody is going to give a hoot about your "protest." You'll just be another person who doesn't support the program.

The administration listens to big donors and people who support the program. You're just some guy who quit on the program. Well good for you. We're all super proud.

But don't pretend it's important because it's not.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Another thread in the crapper :( ...

Sorry. But this just feeds everything I preach.

Remember UConn hired a $250k a year vp of communications, the guy from iowa? He's been on the job now since christmas.

Tyson Kendig.

He was hired because of his expertise with social media.

He's on twitter, @tysonkendig.

Although he really isn't.

His tweets are protected.

Kind of a metaphor for why UConn's repuation got its kicked when the media annointed UConn's athletic department the second coming of CCSU, two years removed from a bcs game, men's and women's bb championship, and college world series appearance.

Amen

Nobody is going to give a hoot about your "protest." You'll just be another person who doesn't support the program.

The administration listens to big donors and people who support the program. You're just some guy who quit on the program. Well good for you. We're all super proud.

But don't pretend it's important because it's not.

Lol. Uconn listens to big donors? Really? Then why didn't they listen to burton 2 years ago?

You guys all think my protest such a story here. I have been saying it since December 1st but only recently a bunch of u keep calling me out about it. All of you us fail to understand the point of it because your emotionally attached to the school. I'm just a bad guy who doesn't buy tickets is year. Poo poo me. College athletics is run by money. When you do good things like win and give a hoot about perception then just magically money somehow goes up. When things are bad money goes down. It's not rocket science. But if you support a bad product then it will not change. Blue glasses.

I hurt my back.
I go to the doctor to fix it. I pay $100 for a visit 3 times.
3 weeks later my back hurts the same if not more.
My neighbor hurt his back as well when we both were lifting that couch 3 weeks ago.
He went to a doctor on the other side of town.
His back after 3 weeks and 3 visits feels back to normal.

What are you going to do? Go back to your doctor and pay for another visit or are your going to see the doctor your neighbor went to see? Why would you give that doctor another dollar?

Why did you change doctors? Because the service or product was bad?

Ppl here are blue glasses clowns about these things. Think chesus think.

I own a Harley from 1934. Very rare. I decide that I'm going to have a tag sale and this will be n display also at the sale with a for sale sign for a bajillion bucks just as some eye candy to draw big numbers. On Saturday I open my garage at 8am and put all of my stuff out on a couple tables and put the bike out.

What did I do wrong?

Answer- I didn't market the tag sale.

Result- only a few neighbors saw it and stopped by after mowing the lawn or playing with there kids on the circle. They all thought the bike was very cool. I sold only a couple pots and pans.

Good ole uconn ehh?!?!

Reaction Score
I hurt my back.
My neighbor hurt his back as well when we both were lifting that couch 3 weeks ago.

What are you going to do? Go back to your doctor and pay for another visit or are your going to see the doctor your neighbor went to see? Why would you give that doctor another dollar?

Not everything is better on the other side of town.

Maybe he was just in better shape to begin with...
Maybe it was a different injury... his was a strain and yours was a sprain?

In this case you have "doctor" envy and think the other doctor had a miraculous cure. In Sports - you have "other program" envy and believe everything is a simple fix. It's not real life.

Reaction Score
Lol. Uconn listens to big donors? Really? Then why didn't they listen to burton 2 years ago?

You guys all think my protest such a story here. I have been saying it since December 1st but only recently a bunch of u keep calling me out about it. All of you us fail to understand the point of it because your emotionally attached to the school. I'm just a bad guy who doesn't buy tickets is year. Poo poo me. College athletics is run by money. When you do good things like win and give a hoot about perception then just magically money somehow goes up. When things are bad money goes down. It's not rocket science. But if you support a bad product then it will not change. Blue glasses.

The problem is that you are looking at college athletics in a vacuum without proper understanding of context. College athletics are not a normal free market.

Susan Herbst and Warde Manuel can't just magically get us into the ACC just because you really want us to be there. We can stop supporting this program, and everybody in the Athletic Department will know why, and it still isn't going to magically fix the problem. There is a bevy of facts working against us. Just to throw a few out there:

• We don't have a long football tradition in Connecticut
  • There is a lot of pro sports loyalty to New York and Boston teams here which divides people's attention
  • We have traditionally been a basketball school
  • Our coach left the program in what should've been the highest momentum for our program
  • We joined the D1 party pretty late
  • As conference realignment has taken shape, the economy has been difficult, leading to smaller donations/team support
  • We had an uncertain basketball program when certain decisions were made, etc.
Not all of these things are controllable. Some are. Could we do better at marketing? Maybe. But it's speculative, and it's sure as heck speculative to imply that a slightly better marketing program buys you an invite to the B1G or ACC or that you, on the outside, know anything better than Herbst or Manuel.
Furthermore, there's a difference between listening to donors and bowing down to them. Burton has a voice. He does not hire our coaches.
You are not a voice. You're just someone who is frustrated with the direction of the program, which I understand and relate to, but your form of protest is making the problem worse, not better.
Case in point? Look at Boston College. How many years of dwindling support have helped that program? It took how long to fire their AD? The truth is, we are often not in a position, as fans, to reasonably influence these outcomes, though I truly believe that the more we support our program, the better off we'll be, and I don't think of Pasqualoni goes 2-9 this year but we sell out every game that he's going to come back. Money matters, but it's not everything. Winning counts, too.
You think Ollie got hired cause of our stellar attendance numbers? Come on.
The problem is that you want to blame people and come up with simple answers to what is fundamentally a complex problem and ultimately, a frustrating one that we may not really have much control over. But I think supporting the program long-term is in UConn's best interest, so I will continue to cheer on my Huskies no matter who is coaching. I think that's part of being a fan.

Reaction Score
Sorry. But this just feeds everything I preach.

Amen

I hurt my back.

Why did you change doctors? Because the service or product was bad?

Ppl here are blue glasses clowns about these things. Think chesus think.

I own a Harley from 1934. Very rare. I decide that I'm going to have a tag sale and this will be n display also at the sale with a for sale sign for a bajillion bucks just as some eye candy to draw big numbers. On Saturday I open my garage at 8am and put all of my stuff out on a couple tables and put the bike out.

What did I do wrong?

Answer- I didn't market the tag sale.

Result- only a few neighbors saw it and stopped by after mowing the lawn or playing with there kids on the circle. They all thought the bike was very cool. I sold only a couple pots and pans.

Good ole uconn ehh?!?!

So what you're basically saying is that the true fans keep the program afloat and allow fair weather fans to jump on and off the bandwagon at will.

I'd prefer you just said "thank you", and go on your way.

Reaction Score
The problem is that you are looking at college athletics in a vacuum without proper understanding of context. College athletics are not a normal free market.

Susan Herbst and Warde Manuel can't just magically get us into the ACC just because you really want us to be there. We can stop supporting this program, and everybody in the Athletic Department will know why, and it still isn't going to magically fix the problem. There is a bevy of facts working against us. Just to throw a few out there:

• [ ]We don't have a long football tradition in Connecticut
    [ ]There is a lot of pro sports loyalty to New York and Boston teams here which divides people's attention
    [ ]We have traditionally been a basketball school
    [ ]Our coach left the program in what should've been the highest momentum for our program
    [ ]We joined the D1 party pretty late
    [ ]As conference realignment has taken shape, the economy has been difficult, leading to smaller donations/team support
    [ ]We had an uncertain basketball program when certain decisions were made, etc.
Not all of these things are controllable. Some are. Could we do better at marketing? Maybe. But it's speculative, and it's sure as heck speculative to imply that a slightly better marketing program buys you an invite to the B1G or ACC or that you, on the outside, know anything better than Herbst or Manuel.
Furthermore, there's a difference between listening to donors and bowing down to them. Burton has a voice. He does not hire our coaches.
You are not a voice. You're just someone who is frustrated with the direction of the program, which I understand and relate to, but your form of protest is making the problem worse, not better.
Case in point? Look at Boston College. How many years of dwindling support have helped that program? It took how long to fire their AD? The truth is, we are often not in a position, as fans, to reasonably influence these outcomes, though I truly believe that the more we support our program, the better off we'll be, and I don't think of Pasqualoni goes 2-9 this year but we sell out every game that he's going to come back. Money matters, but it's not everything. Winning counts, too.
You think Ollie got hired cause of our stellar attendance numbers? Come on.
The problem is that you want to blame people and come up with simple answers to what is fundamentally a complex problem and ultimately, a frustrating one that we may not really have much control over. But I think supporting the program long-term is in UConn's best interest, so I will continue to cheer on my Huskies no matter who is coaching. I think that's part of being a fan.

Well said.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Here's something Pasqualoni hasn't tried. Winning as a recruiting school.

Yup.

It works even better than twitter.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score

Dan I applaud your passion and I think we all agree that more should have been done and more can be done now. I am thoroughly disappointed with our Courant coverage and the voice of fans has been squelched with the not so new approach to posting. They need to do better and have sports writers for football that actually search out news more then just a twitter posting or short blog post. But who are we kidding.... true journalism is dead. But I think we better be way more careful with social media due to possible rules violations. That NCAA book is out of control and we are on a tight leash. Calm and well thought out ideas and approaches will lead to better results then barraging recruits and fans with info. Otherwise it just becomes background noise. It is like those colleges or businesses that keep sending info to you and it just makes it into the trash

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

You laugh, but if we delivered recruiting offers via a horse, I guarantee you that we would make a splash! I would sign up with any school that brought the letter on horseback... :cool:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You laugh, but if we delivered recruiting offers via a hot swimsuit model, I guarantee you that we would make a splash! I would sign up with any school that brought the letter on horseback... :cool:

Fixed, like...duh...obviously.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
if we had 10,000 fans on twitter boosting uconn, uconn would probably be making arrangements for its inaugural big ten season...

passion to excess, including the loud boor yelling at the ref, beats a limp-wristed polite wave of the hand and a mild chirp of "well-done".

ask oregon fans how they felt about a meaningless rose bowl game when they saw oregon take the field in helmets blindingly reflecting the sun in their eyes. it's about passion, for your alma mater, your state, or whatever allegiance binds you to the team. In the end, it's this passion that needs to be encouraged. for some schools its easy. texas is texas, it's own world. and even a school like atm with kyle and the rotc freaks possess ingredients for passion. wvu sings country road. tenn has rocky top. ku rock chalk. the iron bown, stanford-cal, the civil war, jump around and on and on.

that's why some of the inane discussions found on this board don't bother me. frankly, i'd rather read a post exposing the financials of louisville, or why the husky was really a samoyed, or why some hometown rb is afraid of contact, whatever, than read about why the nsa dude should be sent to heaven or to helllll.

that's not to say that i don't skim a bunch of chaff to get to the wheat, but it's not a burden to do that. i think this is the point of some- social media has the ability to connect like-minded individuals in ways unheard of ten , even five, years ago.

we (as in the collective "we"- the school, its leaders, its students, its alums, its fans, its regular media) don't bring the heat. that is sad, but true. it's not to say the charges are wholly accurate (don't get me started about the fiesta bowl and the number of tickets oklafreakinghoma returned) but at the same time, i really feel that if we showed more passion, we would be somewhere different. yet, some here claim we will always be different. bullocks. go back in time with your passion meter after the nit victory, or south bend after the win, or the crowd at msg when kemba stepped back. that passion and excitement can carry over and remain with the fb program.

all we need is the spark. instead we got kind of a wet blanket thrown over the athletic department. and the wet blanket, day by day, since 2010 seemed to be getting heavier and heavier. apr, calhoun/miles issues, hathaway stuff, edsall to pasqualoni, the vandy pass, then the mac daddy of all wet blankets-conference realignment.

just as 2010 was the halcyon days of uconn, some of us think that where we find ourselves now in 2013, there is a way to get the energy back from the depths that we have plumbed. we've got ollie for 30 years, geno for a decade. but it's football, football, and football more than anything that defines the athletic department.

and where it counts the most, we face the longest odds of finding that spark. so i don't begrudge for a moment those who rant and rave, whether about marketing, the coaches, the stadium, the fans, the media, the whole enchilda of uconn country. it's called passion, and that is something uconn needs.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The Samoyed stuff really grinds my gears. Otherwise, I agree.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Yes but all those schools are already big time. Is there any evidence it helps build a program?

Lousivilles fan base was on the rise with everything going on so I'm not giving twitter any special due to it, but I watched and it was a storm the past couple years. Students and fans were ganging up on anything they could. It was obvious to me at least that the tool was being used effectively. I remember one of the schools fake twitters being some sorority girl that was always almost immediately to new recruits with favorite clicks and retweets. I remember things like that by the dozens. It's all a matter of if you want to be aggressive in life or if you want to sit back in life. Lousiville was aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom