So what's next? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

So what's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From someone who lives in NYC: not true, and UC gets a ton more play than Syracuse. Sure, you may have a few preppy alums wearing SU windbreakers on the train, but that doesn't count for crap.
What do you mean a ton more play? You're still just throwing out your own biased observations as proof. I'm saying UConn isn't a top 5 college athletic program in NYC and the defense on this site so far has been:
1) We're #2 or 3 in a few zip codes near Boston
2) Someone's son sees UConn hats near NYC

Reaction Score
What do you mean a ton more play? You're still just throwing out your own biased observations as proof. I'm saying UConn isn't a top 5 college athletic program in NYC and the defense on this site so far has been:

1) We're #2 or 3 in a few zip codes near Boston - you are the clown who brought up the map and said "Show me on this map, a zip code within 50 miles of Boston, where UConn is a top 3 college team" - answewr was provided.
2) Someone's son sees UConn hats near NYC

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-NYCTV-blog480.png

Are we done yet?

Reaction Score
Not a top five football team in NYC. If they had a basketball map, then it would be different and you know it.
I agree with that. You wouldn't see Florida Basketball, Ohio State Basketball, Penn State Basketball, and Notre Dame Basketball. But Basketball doesn't drive the bus here.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what this proves. You have 150k fans in a 20m market? Is that your argument to the B10 and B12?

I'm not making an argument to B10/B12.

Keep kicking the can... first it was Top 3 football in NYC/MA, now it's Top 5 athletic program in NYC.

Reaction Score
I'm not making an argument to B10/B12.

Keep kicking the can... first it was Top 3 football in NYC, now it's Top 5 athletic program in NYC.
I'm not even sure what we're arguing about anymore. All I'm saying is UConn's presence in Boston and NYC is weak because they're pro sports towns, so for college fanbases to claim it as their territory is silly.

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure what we're arguing about anymore. All I'm saying is UConn's presence in Boston and NYC is weak because they're pro sports towns, so for college fanbases to claim it as their territory is silly.
Shut up, already. More people care in both cities for UConn than at least most other schools around here.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I guess you see what you want to see... Saying you or your son or your spouse sees UConn hats on the subway or in the public restroom a few times a week doesn't make it 'UConn Country'. Ask any non UConn fan in Boston if it is UConn country and they'll laugh. Same with NYC. They are both pro sports towns so this is a meaningless argument to claim Boston and NYC as your home turf. If you went to UConn, or are from the Hartford area, most of the people you know are UConn fans, so your perspective is skewed. What about the other 99.99% of people that walk by you in your UConn sweatshirt and say nothing? Or the other 49 people on your subway car that barely know what UConn is?

People in Boston would laugh in your face if you suggested Boston was "Boston College Country". And they'd laugh in your face in NYC if you said NYC was "Syracuse Country".

Enough of your foolishness. UConn owns college sports between NYC and Boston the same way Syracuse owns the area between Utica and Rochester. Check the fan maps.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what this proves. You have 150k fans in a 20m market? Is that your argument to the B10 and B12?

You're not that quick.

It's the percentages that count, and Syracuse is behind UConn.

Reaction Score
You're not that quick.

It's the percentages that count, and Syracuse is behind UConn.
I haven't mentioned Syracuse in this entire thread. I have never claimed Syracuse has a major presence in NYC.

Reaction Score
People in Boston would laugh in your face if you suggested Boston was "Boston College Country". And they'd laugh in your face in NYC if you said NYC was "Syracuse Country".
Who suggested either of these?
Enough of your foolishness. UConn owns college sports between NYC and Boston the same way Syracuse owns the area between Utica and Rochester. Check the fan maps.
I agree with this.

Reaction Score
I guess you see what you want to see... Saying you or your son or your spouse sees UConn hats on the subway or in the public restroom a few times a week doesn't make it 'UConn Country'. Ask any non UConn fan in Boston if it is UConn country and they'll laugh. Same with NYC. They are both pro sports towns so this is a meaningless argument to claim Boston and NYC as your home turf. If you went to UConn, or are from the Hartford area, most of the people ze you know are UConn fans, so your perspective is skewed. What about the other 99.99% of people that walk by you in your UConn sweatshirt and say nothing? Or th other 49 people on your subway car that barely know what UConn is?

Well that is an odd reply considering how you started this little tangent. Remember? How you are in Fairfield sometimes and never see UCONN gear... Thus UCONN has no presence in these parts... Blah blah blah.

True story - I went to Syracuse one summer for a wedding. Did not see an Orangemen TShirt the entire weekend. Must not be an SU town?

You say you are not trolling? You say a bunch of stupid things to try to minimize the UCONN reach in its own home state, using the lazy argument that you never "see UCONN fans", and you expect not to be called a troll for it. OK.

Reaction Score
Well that is an odd reply considering how you started this little tangent. Remember? How you are in Fairfield sometimes and never see UCONN gear... Thus UCONN has no presence in these parts... Blah blah blah.

True story - I went to Syracuse one summer for a wedding. Did not see an Orangemen TShirt the entire weekend. Must not be an SU town?

You say you are not trolling? You say a bunch of stupid things to try to minimize the UCONN reach in its own home state, using the lazy argument that you never "see UCONN fans", and you expect not to be called a troll for it. OK.
I jumped in this conversation when one poster said UConn has a larger TV market than Nebraska, WV, Kansas, Mississippi, etc.

Reaction Score
So not seeing a Cuse t-shirt at a wedding is equivalent to almost never seeing UConn gear over several years? Not sure that'd a great analogy. "I don't see any water outside my window, therefore there is no ocean."

Reaction Score
I live and work in Greenwich/Stamford/Norwalk and almost never see UConn gear. I go to Boston often, and same thing, almost no UConn gear.

All of those states you mentioned get more eyeballs on TVs. Hartford may be larger than Lincoln, NE, but there are far more Nebraskans, and people in neighboring states, watching Nebraska sports than Hartford residents watching UConn. UConn is a Hartford County fanbase.

I am trying hard not to be a d!k here. Are you drunk? Did I really need to quote this twice for you to see it?

Reaction Score
So not seeing a Cuse t-shirt at a wedding is equivalent to almost never seeing UConn gear over several years? Not sure that'd a great analogy. "I don't see any water outside my window, therefore there is no ocean."

I think both statements are equally dumb. Mine was intentionally so... Yours?

Reaction Score

Enough of your foolishness. UConn owns college sports between NYC and Boston .

Uconn's football interest in Massachusetts however stops around the Sturbridge, Ma. turnpike toll booths. BC football interest is a blimp on the radar screen in pro sports crazed Boston. Uconn hoops has an ok following... for college sports low levels anyway... in Boston and in Greater Boston. But Uconn football interest is essentially non existent in Boston and Greater Boston.... even less interest than that for Umass football as a matter of fact. Heck, Uconn football game day interest in Hartford, CT, is not much better ( perhaps worse ) that that of BC football game day interest in Boston at the moment... and BC has its worst football team this year in perhaps 40 years too. Uconn and BC have similar home game football attendance the last few years( BC is a bit higher.., but thats like saying that BC is the taller midget in the room)

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I live and work in Greenwich/Stamford/Norwalk and almost never see UConn gear. I go to Boston often, and same thing, almost no UConn gear.
I call out and out BS on the first comment. I live and work in Stamford (save four years of undergrad three and a half decades ago and another four years in the 1990's, I've lived here my entire, nearly 56 years) and I am stunned with the volume of UConn garb I see daily.

In the 60's & 70's you would seldom see anything. It really didn't start down here until the late 1980's but it had been building steadily until about a decade and a half ago but from then has exploded.

As far as Boston, I'm not there very often (a couple times a year) but I do spend a decent amount of time in a stretch from just east of Worcester through to the Lakes region of NH and in that stretch of land, UConn is represented as well as any school.

I'm not sure of what either means beyond the fact that you are a liar.

Reaction Score
It's on you if you get upset or angry.

Show me on this map, a zip code within 50 miles of Boston, where UConn is a top 3 college team. Now do the same within 25 miles of NYC.
College Football Fan Map
Hey why don't you go to your Cuse board and spew your BS there! There are a bunch of us on here that actually LIVE in areas you claim not to be UConn territory and know otherwise! You are a turd Cuse troll who can't take the fact that your precious hoops coach has spit the bit in the NCAA tourney!

Reaction Score
Not sure this is the definition of 'trolling'. Most of my comments here are about the greater college basketball landscape and NYC/Boston generalities. Every now and then I chime in when Syracuse is mentioned to offer my opinion. And my comments about UConn gear in the Northeast was simply my opinion, which is the main point of this message board. I said that knowing 99% of you would disagree, but I digress. Looking forward to 12/5.
You are a turd troll..go hang out with your Cuse friends !

Reaction Score
My point is, UConn is not even a top 5 college team in NYC.
I call BS on this too..BUT I'm gonna guess you haven't spent 1 day in a NYC inner city neighborhood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom