So... What's next for recruiting??! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

So... What's next for recruiting??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There just isn't going to be a whole bunch of time though. There's going to be a major minutes issue in 2015, and if they decided to take 2-3 more in '16 that'll continue to be the case. Barring numerous injuries, transfers, or player busts, of course.
I have the time solution; play a 40 game season.

Reaction Score
Slu- the link below from another thread regarding the three of KLS, NC and DJB. This is why I don't see a lock for NB.

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/05/thoughts-on-three-uconn-commits.html

Many college teams don't have "Moses Malone" as a center which means KLS can guard some. And this articles speaks of KLS grabbing tough rebounds. This isn't going to be a player that will be isoalted just playing the sf. It seems to me Collier can/will guard quick 3's with scoring punch, won't she? Where would that leave KLS? To guard the pf or c.

The article also speaks of DJB being scrappy and an outstanding rebounder among other things. Plus Fuller speaks of her 3 point shooting. Three point shooting spreads the floor. There is a good chance DJB is quicker, faster, and more versatile by that I mean can go out and contest shooters better from the perimeter. How many Moses Malone's are in the college game? Anyhow, Fuller is comparing her to Tuck in a way. A point I was thinking of- but of course don't know because I haven't seen her. But as I read articles like this - it's the type of player/style I can envision DJB can be. An outstanding rebounder that can spread the floor and is versatile enough to guard and contest multiple positions, and if like Tuck, has good speed.

The article also speaks of NC. A player you said you like a ton too. I see it says she isn't as much of a 3 point threat as KLS and DJB- so whose to say she won't flourish more with the court being spread open by having both Boykin and Samuelason spread the floor? This also tells me she is a terrfic offensive rebounder that can play both inside and out and excels in the open court. What deoes all of what has been written potentially add up to? A player that seems like she can guard potent sf's as well as defend pf's without a problem. Anyhow- if she is able to guard sf's then it means KLS can guard a less potent offensive pf or center if KLS's defense isn't as good.

And one common theme in this article is Fuller's mention of their rebounding capabilites. Thus Natalie may very well be a better rebounder, but this trio seems strong enough and tall enough to be easily good enough to compete on the glass. . And for example if their transition from defense to offense and their ability to spread the floor is better -and if they can get back on defense quicker and they can cause more turnovers with steals - then imo it is nothing near a lock for Natalie. IMO this isn't far-fetched or a long reach at all from what I've read so far of Boykin and the KLS and NC to start / get more minutes than Natalie from DJB's soph season moving forward.

Anyhow I love it. Fabulous recruiting class. Fabulous!!! Fabulous!!!Fabulous!!!

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hoophuskee,

You make some good points and it's probably not completely out of the question that Boykin could take that spot. That said, when Geno calls someone a potential "game changer" as he did Butler, it leads me to believe he plans on giving her significant opportunities. I still see her as the starting center barring strange circumstances.

Reaction Score
Hoophuskee, stop screaming. All are in agreement that the players in question are not one-dimensional. Still, I don't think Stewart or KLS should be playing center- they are best at what they have been doing. Looking at the NBA there are a lot of teams that are winning even as their centers sit on the bench due to injuries, but the teams cannot wait to have them back. I'm sure Minn can be Moore at center and Chi can put Delle there too, but in the long run it will come to hurt them and the players. Your discussion makes it seem as a chess game with pieces moving round-and-round, but having a legit. center playing 15-20 mins/game have served most teams well.

Reaction Score
Hoophuskee,

You make some good points and it's probably not completely out of the question that Boykin could take that spot. That said, when Geno calls someone a potential "game changer" as he did Butler, it leads me to believe he plans on giving her significant opportunities. I still see her as the starting center barring strange circumstances.

I hope she is. I can also remember howver Geno comparing Gilian Goring's potential to Hakeem Olajuwon in some manner.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yes, but Butler has proved herself at the college level. Only way I can see that she might fail is if she overworks herself into physical problems ala Jackie Stiles.

Reaction Score
Yes, but Butler has proved herself at the college level. Only way I can see that she might fail is if she overworks herself into physical problems ala Jackie Stiles.

I agree with you - she has proved herself at the college level. She has proven herself at the mid-level college level. while the Big East is above mid-level - to get to championship level they are average at best. The difference of the final four teams caliber of play and overall the Big East- they are an average conference. You can get 15 and 15 vs a 65 ranked team. It doesn't mean you are going to get 10-10 vs a top ten team. We're on a different planet than a team like DePaul. A player like Brianna Banks could average double digits in the new Big East. And I believe most of us believe she is a fine player. But UCONN - and competing against other super super teams- it's an entirely different animal.

I just don't believe one can tie in mid college level and make it sound so assured she can lock in 25 minutes on the team like UCONN. Can she? Absolutely. And I believe she can be a star. I just don't believe she is as near of a lock as most of you. And I do believe if she came off the bench - and provided 15 minutes for example on championship teams maybe even close to 20 for example- I would not even close think of that as a failure either.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It remains to be seen how the players progress. While the big 3 have proven themselves in high school, it's not like Butler is a complete unknown. She was one of the better freshmen in the nation on a very consistent basis. She's received high praise from other coaches in the league, and Geno has had a chance to see her play as well. Oh, and Geno had some very positive things to say about her.

Given that neither Samuelson, Collier nor Boykin have played in college (against girls bigger, stronger, and faster), and given that none of them are over 6'3" (Boykin looks to be only about 6'2"), it's an incredibly long stretch to assume any of them would play the 5, never mind play significant minutes there, AND as a freshman no less. Geno NEVER starts freshmen unless there is no one else, or injuries require him to make changes.

Additionally, given that Butler is 6'5", and the year after Stokes graduates, will essentially have 2 years in college, 1 of those practicing with the UCONN team, I find it a huge stretch to say that essentially junior Butler with 2 years college experience would be beaten out by 6'2" freshman Boykin.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that's sort of like saying Stewie should be the backup 2G. Sure she has guard skills, but when you look at the complete picture, it's really really unlikely, and makes even less sense.

Reaction Score
Additionally, given that Butler is 6'5", and the year after Stokes graduates, will essentially have 2 years in college, 1 of those practicing with the UCONN team, I find it a huge stretch to say that essentially junior Butler with 2 years college experience would be beaten out by 6'2" freshman Boykin.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that's sort of like saying Stewie should be the backup 2G. Sure she has guard skills, but when you look at the complete picture, it's really really unlikely, and makes even less sense.

I don’t agree with this at all. As you said – everyone is entitled to their opinion. So we can agree to disagree.
Notre Dame had a super phenom season and their center was 6’3 and their sf was 5'10. I can’t believe one inch would make such a difference. A’Ja Jones was 6’3 – maybe 6’2. And most of us on this board say 2002 was best team ever.

And I don’t believe just because Butler is a junior means it’s so obvious she is going to be better than 6’2 soph Boykin whom will may very well have the "soph jump" in improvement.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don’t agree with this at all. As you said – everyone is entitled to their opinion. So we can agree to disagree.
Notre Dame had a super phenom season and their center was 6’3 and their sf was 5'10. I can’t believe one inch would make such a difference. A’Ja Jones was 6’3 – maybe 6’2. And most of us on this board say 2002 was best team ever.

And I don’t believe just because Butler is a junior means it’s so obvious she is going to be better than 6’2 soph Boykin whom will may very well have the "soph jump" in improvement.
Well, clearly you are among the very small minority. When even Geno disagrees with you, I think one has to put a little stock in that. Additionally, Boykin will be a freshman. Butler will be a red shirt sophomore, but with 2 years college hoops experience, so in theory, a junior "hoops-wise". So your point has some of the facts wrong.

Teams play with the best players they can. If you are referring to Reimer and Achonwa, the starting 4 for ND was Bracker who is 6'1". McBride is 5'11' or 6' tall. So again, facts are wrong in your post. their starting SF was 6'1", not 5'11".

It's awfully hard to have a discussion when the person disagreeing has so many factual errors in their post... :(

But my point about playing with the best players you have is this... If Butler had chosen to go to UVA, then UCONN would be looking at having no true center on the roster. But that's not the case. They will have someone with a ton of experience and the only true 5 on the team.

Why on earth would Geno plan on starting a 6'2" kid with no college experience over a kid who has already proven herself at the college level and will have 2 years more experience? Of course anything can happen. Butler can flat out suck at UCONN. Or be barely average. But my money's on her being really good.

Reaction Score
Have to agree with EricSD. Butler led the Big East in minutes per game at 36 and rebounds per game at 13 and was voted freshman of the year. Given that she will gain another year's experience at UConn's practices, I don't see her being supplanted by Boykin or anyone else presently on the roster in the 2015-2016 season. Now, I'm sure she's not going to play 36 mins a game for UConn but she will get the majority of those minutes. As far as ND goes, Anchonwa is listed at 183lbs and a senior, Boykin at 155 lbs and a freshman/sophomore. They are totally different types and shouldn't be compared. Now if Cox or McCoy should arrive.....

Reaction Score
Has he talked her up so much more than his others? Even if he did "talk" he can't talk about the other 3, can he? I just don't see the relevance of the talk.

You mean with Boykin, Tuck, NC and KLS ---we don't have size? Look at the number two team last year ND- their starting sf was lloyd. What is she 5'10?

If you want to bet the farm, you might wind up on welfare. I say - might.

KLS can impact Butler in an instance and the others can do the same. As stated on a prior post of mine, you get a big finesse 6'6 big that shoots well European style and can face up - Butler may not be able to play her on the perimeter. I believe even if Butler would start the three of KLS and DJB nad NC have the versatility to become dominant even when she sits. Each one probably has some style of specialty that can account for defending a different type of post. While KLS can be though of as a "wing" I think she will be used only as a sf (and pf and can guard a specialty center if needed) not a sg. I expect two guards on the floor - at least - when she is in so you can get good ball movement and better spread of the floor to allow her to stick the three. Which is why I would not classify her as a wing. I expect at least two guards to always be on the floor when she is in. But defensively I see no reason why a player of her size can't guard big players. Is she that soft? I seriously doubt it. In the WNBA - she will be a combo of a sf and a stretch 4 if she hits her potential. I find it hard to believe someone who can be a stretch four in the pros can't be a very good rebounder in college. It is possible she winds up being soft and can't defend the post. But for right now I doubt it. I expect her to be a 1st team a/a eventually and be both a good rebounder and scorer. At 6'3 not just rebound from the sf.

I see no reason why 6'2 Boykin can't guard centers in her soph year going forward when we've even seen Walker guard Griner. I lean toward she will. I just think sometimes we are in search of a "boogeyman" from another team out there. And by that I mean a mammoth player like a Griner. But even with Griner --Walker was serviceable. And in her frosh year she defended Griner better than Steph.

I don't agree with what you are saying but I am probably mis-interpeting it. It's tough posting - you don't always get the full meaning of another's post. In this case your last sentence - I wouldn't consider her a bust at all if Boykin beats her out. I've read on here by Godfather that Boykin was number 1 before her injury, is that right?

I do remember from years ago Walker commited to UCONN prior year she was number 1 then the year she committed she was dropping. Before that there were others but I can't recall. If Boykin is not what the poster Godfather said, and her quality of play is dropping, then I agree Butler will get the position not by default but thatBoykin is not what Godfather said. But if it was like what Godfather said, and the way Collier is, then as ericsandiego has said, this class is among UCONN's best ever then I believe Butler will come off the bench. But it doesn't mean she would be a bust in my eyes.

Boykin was #1 until the "national scouts" discovered she transferred to her public HS (Flowers) from national power Riverdale Baptist, but that is all history now she will have to prove it at the next level and I think she will, she can play 1-5, I think she is that versatile she will never play the 1 or 2 but she can if needed, everything we are discussing here will be decided in the fall of 2015

Reaction Score
Have to agree with EricSD. Butler led the Big East in minutes per game at 36 and rebounds per game at 13 and was voted freshman of the year. Given that she will gain another year's experience at UConn's practices, I don't see her being supplanted by Boykin or anyone else presently on the roster in the 2015-2016 season. Now, I'm sure she's not going to play 36 mins a game for UConn but she will get the majority of those minutes. As far as ND goes, Anchonwa is listed at 183lbs and a senior, Boykin at 155 lbs and a freshman/sophomore. They are totally different types and shouldn't be compared. Now if Cox or McCoy should arrive.....

NB is going to play starting or not, KLS,DJB,NC are going to play, what you fail to realize is the defensive side of the ball, unless we are going to play a lot of zone with NB it maybe hard to play her more than 15-20min a game, with the others he will be able to defend every position in man 2 man with switching etc. how many 6'5" centers will uconn have to deal with in 2015 to 2019, ask yourself if NB could guard KLS,DJB,NC because that might be the type of players she may have to guard on defense

Reaction Score
eric- no offense my friend but you didn't read one of my earlier posts (or at least my first post my very 1st three sentences) which got this started which means you have totally misunderstood what I was saying. Thank you Godfather for your post abotu Boykin. Eric all I said is below in italics and aded to that premise throughout all my posts as to not automtiacly pencilling in NB. I did say NB could wind up as a star too. I said I have not seen them play. It's just that I am not sold as most of you are that it is so obvious that NB will start and get 25+ minutes. So as my 1st 3 sentences said in italics:

There has been a lot of talk of just "penciling in" Natalie as a starter and a near lock for 25 miintues. etc. I don't agree with that at all. It is possible sure.

And by me being in the minority as you suggest that is soooo irrelevant because I believe so many like me haven't watched Natlie and DJB live to make an accurate assessement. Nowhere has Geno said NB will start, has he? Regarding Geno's game changer comment - I made a post stating how Geno once compared Gillain Goring in some manner or spoke of her in a manner to Hakeem Olajuwon. And I can't recall one post that showed a comment that Geno said NB is a lock to start.

What I have suggested is that a poster such as Godfather could be right. Boykin could be a top 5 player or better. That is more relevant than others offering their opinion based on not watching any of them at all but just have "a feeling." I think Godfather did- and Fuller spoke very highly of DJB as well. So I'm not as confident as you- or slu etc. Big deal.

I don't want to get into a long drawn out fight here of what was said and wasn't. I realize to go back and read my comments and slu's and read Godfather's etc - it isn't worth it. So I'm done. IMO my point has ran it's course. There is no further point to rehash other than - You have your opinion I have mine. I am not saying NB won't start or won't be a star. And Geno's comment of her being a game changer imo is so irrelevant that I don't put much stock in it at all. If that makes me in the minroity so be it. But I have never known Geno to give any player anything. It has to be earned. Which then means Natalie is NOT assured of any starting slot. Therefore anyone that disagrees with my last underlined statement is in the minority imo.

Reaction Score
NB is going to play starting or not, KLS,DJB,NC are going to play, what you fail to realize is the defensive side of the ball, unless we are going to play a lot of zone with NB it maybe hard to play her more than 15-20min a game, with the others he will be able to defend every position in man 2 man with switching etc. how many 6'5" centers will uconn have to deal with in 2015 to 2019, ask yourself if NB could guard KLS,DJB,NC because that might be the type of players she may have to guard on defense

???? How many 6'5" centers ? Butler will NOT have ANY problems in conference play on the defensive end. And the opponents in the tougher OOC games will have a center about her size anyway. BTW, UConn seemed to do pretty well with 6'5" Dolson at center. In fact, a case could be made that UConn was at least as effective with the big lineup (Dolson, Stewart and Stokes) as with the smaller lineup. I didn't notice problems of smaller forwards taking advantage of UConn's bigs. Could Butler guard KLS,DJB or NC ? Probably not but which centers can ? Does that mean that 6'5" players are destined to ride the bench ? And what about the reverse ? How effective would a smaller player be stopping Butler inside ? I think not playing Butler because of a concern with her defense is a solution in search of a problem. And to think, she won't suit up until the 2015-2016 season ! Well, why wait to see what happens when it can be decided now. ;)

Reaction Score
it's all message board material because none of us really knows how it will turnout

T

TroyHouse66

Gdfather...
<<it's all message board material because none of us really knows how it will turnout>>
Exactly! It is all speculation... and even from game to game.
What we have is the clay from which beautiful porcelain can be made. A Summer of practices will tell El Maestro what he has in various combinations. And what he'll pull out of his hat to craft each game plan is conjecture.
(Whether Butler is adept enough to mirror a Dolson high post set-up passer won't be confirmed until Geno sees if it can be mastered. But, I do believe he has telegraphed that he does see the potential for it.)
We have long experienced the little man behind the curtain and his pulling of levers. UConn customarily may have one set of five on the floor to start a game. Give it the four minute (sometimes less) audition... then... add a little speed, switch an assignment, throw in a 3/4 press unit... Tinker, try, & modify.
We have two more years of the ultimate "swiss-army-knife" of bball players. Too tall for most guards, too fluid for most "traditional" centers, and enough range to make opposing forwards weep.
Two more years of the pesky 'lil defender on (Mo)jet skis... an awesome fly in other teams' ointment... Four inches shorter than harrass-Faris, but a nervous-dervish that turns others lazy passes to breakaway deuces.
And when ANYONEs energy level tapers... Geno can play the next card in the deck.
See a hole in some team's defense... Add four minutes of 6-4" or a left-handed slasher (Moment of silence for BBanks, here).
We've got the clay comin', we've got the mad-potter, a few fiery practice months and... I think... we'll have a nice set of dishes to eat other folks' lunch.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Butler came to UConn as a transfer and I'm sure she didn't come to sit the bench or have limited minutes. We all were talking about a big post player and when Wilson and Turner went elsewhere we were all concerned. We got lucky to get a player like Butler with her proven record. With that said post players take time to develop however Butlers numbers for a freshman in a conference tuffer then the AAC are extraordinary. She will be very good and maybe a great player before Geno finishes with her development.

All this discussion about playing minutes can work against us. We all know parents recruits AAU coaches and opposing college coaches read this board and they can use our discussions of lack of playtime to keep players from coming to UConn. When you talking about a top 10 recruit by name from a class a year or two from now and remarking that she will sit the bench or will not play significant minutes is exactly one of the reasons why Asia Durr is waiting to commit. With our incoming freshman class of 4 guards/wings has her wondering who else will come to UConn and where she fits in and how many minutes she will play. She is ranked 1 or 2 depending on the poll and she is waiting. If shes waiting to commit what do you think kids coming up are looking at? As great as it would be for a girl to play on this UConn team she will want to play not sit.

We dont know who will start and how many minutes who will get because we dont know who might be injured, who might not be developed and who might play another position and who might be in a slump. Our 2015 class has 3 top 10 recruits and if Durr commits we have 4. If in the class of 2016 UConn gets 3 more verbals we know that Geno cant play over 5 at a time. So yes there will be shared minutes. Now what about the rest of the roster? Sharing minutes is huge. We dont know how many minutes anybody will get. It makes me uncomfortable when I read threads saying that a recruit wont start or wont play or there isnt enough room for her because I know there are people who read this board who believe what is written and that can work against us. JMO

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
eric- no offense my friend but you didn't read one of my earlier posts (or at least my first post my very 1st three sentences) which got this started which means you have totally misunderstood what I was saying. Thank you Godfather for your post abotu Boykin. Eric all I said is below in italics and aded to that premise throughout all my posts as to not automtiacly pencilling in NB. I did say NB could wind up as a star too. I said I have not seen them play. It's just that I am not sold as most of you are that it is so obvious that NB will start and get 25+ minutes. So as my 1st 3 sentences said in italics:

There has been a lot of talk of just "penciling in" Natalie as a starter and a near lock for 25 miintues. etc. I don't agree with that at all. It is possible sure.

And by me being in the minority as you suggest that is soooo irrelevant because I believe so many like me haven't watched Natlie and DJB live to make an accurate assessement. Nowhere has Geno said NB will start, has he? Regarding Geno's game changer comment - I made a post stating how Geno once compared Gillain Goring in some manner or spoke of her in a manner to Hakeem Olajuwon. And I can't recall one post that showed a comment that Geno said NB is a lock to start.

What I have suggested is that a poster such as Godfather could be right. Boykin could be a top 5 player or better. That is more relevant than others offering their opinion based on not watching any of them at all but just have "a feeling." I think Godfather did- and Fuller spoke very highly of DJB as well. So I'm not as confident as you- or slu etc. Big deal.

I don't want to get into a long drawn out fight here of what was said and wasn't. I realize to go back and read my comments and slu's and read Godfather's etc - it isn't worth it. So I'm done. IMO my point has ran it's course. There is no further point to rehash other than - You have your opinion I have mine. I am not saying NB won't start or won't be a star. And Geno's comment of her being a game changer imo is so irrelevant that I don't put much stock in it at all. If that makes me in the minroity so be it. But I have never known Geno to give any player anything. It has to be earned. Which then means Natalie is NOT assured of any starting slot. Therefore anyone that disagrees with my last underlined statement is in the minority imo.
Well I was only replying to your post which had 2 factual inaccuracies. As for misunderstanding, again, Geno thinks she's going to be terrific. I'll take my cues from him over posters on here, myself included!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with you - she has proved herself at the college level. She has proven herself at the mid-level college level. while the Big East is above mid-level - to get to championship level they are average at best. The difference of the final four teams caliber of play and overall the Big East- they are an average conference. You can get 15 and 15 vs a 65 ranked team. It doesn't mean you are going to get 10-10 vs a top ten team. We're on a different planet than a team like DePaul. A player like Brianna Banks could average double digits in the new Big East. And I believe most of us believe she is a fine player. But UCONN - and competing against other super super teams- it's an entirely different animal.

I just don't believe one can tie in mid college level and make it sound so assured she can lock in 25 minutes on the team like UCONN. Can she? Absolutely. And I believe she can be a star. I just don't believe she is as near of a lock as most of you. And I do believe if she came off the bench - and provided 15 minutes for example on championship teams maybe even close to 20 for example- I would not even close think of that as a failure either.
80% of the teams that UConn will play throughout the regular season will be no better than the teams in the Big East that Butler competed against AND DOMINATED. She's coming to UConn where she will have a year to integrate into the program, get appreciably better coaching and weight training and competing every day in practice against some of the most talented kids in the country. She has a marvelous work ethic and good physical skills (running the floor well, soft hands, etc) and somehow you speak of her as being a fine player as long as she's only playing against mid-major (Big East) teams but suggest that she'll lose minutes because you somehow feel that she won't be able to cope against better teams?????? It seems in reading some of your posts that you are all over the map with your opinions and there is a weird inconsistency. One minute you speak as if you have consummate knowledge of every scope of women's basketball and the next you're relying on opinions of a couple of posters who I had never heard of or read about before as if they brought the tablets off the Mount! You seem to suggest that you'd prefer smaller players playing the front line like we had with Task Force (2001) when we had multiple players playing the center and forward spots that were in the range of 6'1 thru 6'3. It obviously worked out well but had Geno had an accomplished player or players with size like Rebecca or Kara or Tina or Stef, I doubt that he would have used that smaller lineup as extensively as he did. Geno is undoubtedly going to have a lot of options with incoming talent and he loves flexibility and multi skill players but you act as if Stef would have have struggled for minutes if she were the transfer center coming into Storrs next season instead of Butler. You must remember that as a freshman, Stef didn't put up anywhere near the numbers that Butler did against primarily the same level talent though I know a couple of the stellar teams that Stef played against (Notre Dame and Louisville) were no longer in the Big East. Even if you feel Butler would have been completely shut down against these teams (which is unrealistic), her overall numbers wouldn't have changed that drastically. Why don't you and others give this girl some slack???? She has talent and yet you and others suggest that she is just some journeyman talent, competing against mediocrity to attain numbers. Evidently you assume that Geno's buddies and whose opinion he revers who coach DePaul and Villanova don't know anything about basketball skills and abilities when they see it???? They raved about Butler but still many here question her skill set or her ability to improve. If you had played and coached basketball all your life and had seen Butler play on numerous occasions and saw her exposed against talented teams, maybe, just maybe, I'd put a little stock in what you have to say but that isn't the case, is it? You are just making assumptions based on second hand information from WHO?????? If you are going to speculate, why don't you try and speculate in a positive manner instead of denigrating someone who you aren't even familiar with. The people around her can't say enough about her work ethic and her willingness to push herself continually to get better and better even when she was the UNANIMOUS winner of the freshman of the year award in her conference. Instead, there's bashing of a conference that we just left. Did you think the Big East conference sucked last year when we were in it???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Butler came to UConn as a transfer and I'm sure she didn't come to sit the bench or have limited minutes. We all were talking about a big post player and when Wilson and Turner went elsewhere we were all concerned. We got lucky to get a player like Butler with her proven record. With that said post players take time to develop however Butlers numbers for a freshman in a conference tuffer then the AAC are extraordinary. She will be very good and maybe a great player before Geno finishes with her development.

All this discussion about playing minutes can work against us. We all know parents recruits AAU coaches and opposing college coaches read this board and they can use our discussions of lack of playtime to keep players from coming to UConn. When you talking about a top 10 recruit by name from a class a year or two from now and remarking that she will sit the bench or will not play significant minutes is exactly one of the reasons why Asia Durr is waiting to commit. With our incoming freshman class of 4 guards/wings has her wondering who else will come to UConn and where she fits in and how many minutes she will play. She is ranked 1 or 2 depending on the poll and she is waiting. If shes waiting to commit what do you think kids coming up are looking at? As great as it would be for a girl to play on this UConn team she will want to play not sit.

We dont know who will start and how many minutes who will get because we dont know who might be injured, who might not be developed and who might play another position and who might be in a slump. Our 2015 class has 3 top 10 recruits and if Durr commits we have 4. If in the class of 2016 UConn gets 3 more verbals we know that Geno cant play over 5 at a time. So yes there will be shared minutes. Now what about the rest of the roster? Sharing minutes is huge. We dont know how many minutes anybody will get. It makes me uncomfortable when I read threads saying that a recruit wont start or wont play or there isnt enough room for her because I know there are people who read this board who believe what is written and that can work against us. JMO
You are so, so right! All this speculation about minutes is so totally counter productive because we can't fill out a lineup card nor can Geno, as of this moment. When the basketball season starts and practices commence Geno will start evaluating the various skills and abilities of everyone on the team. Based on their work ethic, their skillset and their ability to integrate and develop chemistry, he'll formulate a starting lineup and as he sees fit, he'll award minutes in the best interests of the team. He may have conceived notions coming in but it'll actually be who does what and how well that will determine who plays how much! Case closed. All the speculating in the world won't change anything and it may do harm, as you've said. Some people believe everything they read and if some recruit thinks the cards are stacked against them and they won't have a fair chance to compete for minutes, then they may decide to look elsewhere. Minutes should be awarded based on competition and I'm sure Geno will do just that so lets stop some of this nonsense right now.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
All this discussion about playing minutes can work against us. We all know parents recruits AAU coaches and opposing college coaches read this board and they can use our discussions of lack of playtime to keep players from coming to UConn.

I'm guessing players and parents can figure out which rosters are stacked with numbers and talent, and probably don't need to read this forum to figure it out. It's pretty simple math when you have 200 minutes and 12 quality or high quality players. We're not divulging secret info.

And with all dues respect, we have no idea why Durr is waiting to make her decision. Her arrival at UConn or elsewhere would effect others, not the other way around. She isn't sitting behind lesser talent.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm guessing players and parents can figure out which rosters are stacked with numbers and talent, and probably don't need to read this forum to figure it out. It's pretty simple math when you have 200 minutes and 12 quality or high quality players. We're not divulging secret info.

And with all dues respect, we have no idea why Durr is waiting to make her decision. Her arrival at UConn or elsewhere would effect others, not the other way around. She isn't sitting behind lesser talent.
Agree. If players/parents are basing their college selection on message boards.......OMG, heaven help them. I mean if many on here don't think conference affiliation has little effect, then something as trivial as message board chatter really should have no effect whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom