So... What's next for recruiting??! | The Boneyard

So... What's next for recruiting??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was thinking about that this morning. UCONN had 4 kids visit one weekend last month - Samuelson, Collier, Boykin and Gorecki. Geno thought he'd get all 4, but Gorecki chose Duke.

But I'll get to that in a second. First, with the addition of Butler, UCONN added what might be the most important missing piece. It's not that Butler is expected to put up Griner like numbers, or that she's a top 5 recruit, but once Stokes graduates, there was no one to really take her place. Now we have that. The pieces are falling together incredibly well.

UCONN has certainly had its' fair share of bad luck between injuries and recruiting - Hunter, Thomas, Greene, Banks, Tuck, KML etc etc. On the recruiting front, McCormack, EDD, Walker, and now Banks. They were 2nd choice for kids like Wilson and Ogwumike. However, Butler was luck in the opposite direction - a kid who came out of nowhere wanting to transfer, and UCONN desperately needing what she has...

So... I'm not sure how hard UCONN continues to recruit Brown. I'm sure they'd like her, but they are also really interested in McCoy from 2016, so it's possible they prefer her over Brown.

But getting back to Gorecki, it's clear Geno really liked and wanted her. I don't think she was a "back up" plan in case Durr went elsewhere, so it seems to me he wanted 2 more guards from the class. One name that was linked to UCONN a while ago was Ogunbowali. Is it possible he goes after Arike as well as Asia? It wouldn't surprise me. Banks leaving doesn't impact that class at all, but it seems he was already considering 2 guards from that class.

Was it only Gorecki because he liked her blue collar work ethic so much? Or was he really looking for 2 guards from that class anyway (IF they were the right kids)? If it's the latter, Ogunbowali makes perfect sense. The upcoming US 3x3 championship team consists of Samuelson, Collier, Boykin and Ogunbowali. How fitting would it be to have those 3 recruit Arike to UCONN?

I have no prediction as to what happens next. All I know is the class as it stands is one of the best - top 4 IMHO - of all time at UCONN. I don't know what other kids we add in 2015. Durr is listed as a PG. But if we don't get her, Lambert (TX) is at #4, and Page (IL) is #6 per HG. They are also PG's. It might be too late to recruit them, but there are still top kids in positions Geno is looking for on the "board".

Lots of speculation and it's great to be able to sit back and watch the pieces fall into place because we already have such incredible pieces on our board...

Last edited:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I was thinking about that this morning. UCONN had 4 kids visit one weekend last month - Samuelson, Collier, Boykin and Gorecki. He thought he'd get all 4, but Gorecki chose Duke.

But I'll get to that in a second. First, with the addition of Butler, UCONN added what might be the most important missing piece. It's not that Butler is expected to put up Griner like numbers, or that she's a top 5 recruit, but once Stokes graduates, there was no one to really take her place. Now we have that. The pieces are falling together incredibly well.

UCONN has certainly had its' fair share of bad luck between injuries and recruiting - Hunter, Thomas, Greene, Banks, Tuck, KML etc etc. On the recruiting front, McCormack, EDD, Walker, and now Banks. They were 2nd choice for kids like Wilson and Ogwumike. However, Butler was luck in the opposite direction - a kid who came out of nowhere wanting to transfer, and UCONN desperately needing what she has...

So... I'm not sure how hard UCONN continues to recruit Brown. I'm sure they'd like her, but they are also really interested in McCoy from 2016, so it's possible they prefer her over Brown.

But getting back to Gorecki, it's clear Geno really liked and wanted her. I don't think she was a "back up" plan in case Durr went elsewhere, so it seems to me he wanted 2 more guards from the class. One name that was linked to UCONN a while ago was Ogunbowali. Is it possible he goes after Arike as well as Asia? It wouldn't surprise me. Banks leaving doesn't impact that class at all, but it seems he was already considering 2 guards from that class.

Was it only Gorecki because he liked her blue collar work ethic so much? Or was he really looking for 2 guards from that class anyway (IF they were the right kids)? If it's the latter, Ogunbowali makes perfect sense. The upcoming US 3x3 championship team consists of Samuelson, Collier, Boykin and Ogunbowali. How fitting would it be to have those 3 recruit Arike to UCONN?

I have no prediction as to what happens next. All I know is the class as it stands is one of the best - top 4 IMHO - of all time at UCONN. I don't know what other kids we add in 2015. Durr is listed as a PG. But if we don't get her, Lambert (TX) is at #4, and Page (IL) is #6 per HG. They are also PG's. It might be too late to recruit them, but there are still top kids in positions Geno is looking for on the "board".

Lots of speculation and it's great to be able to sit back and watch the pieces fall into place because we already have such incredible pieces on our board...

Post of the Day

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The key to this years recruiting was Butler. Her verbal answered the question for a big post player. Her stats her height her work ethic unquestionable and and when you think about it how many post players average a double double. Butler was the missing link.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Take a breath Eric. Breath. Enjoy the moment. Even revel a little bit.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno offered Arike very early on so he obviously saw something he really liked in her and her game and the connection via the 3x3 team to the other recruits is certainly interesting. Durr also was offered very early as was Brown.
I think those are the only three remaining players Uconn is going to recruit for 2015 - no late surprises unless something turns up from foreign parts. And while I don't think he really wants a six pack, I think he would take all three if they want to come.
It does seem to be very quiet on the Brown front. I think it would be great to get her though with Butler coming in it is no longer 'desperation time'.

Reaction Score
Bschwartz, who was the fourth person that he had breakfast with if the three already signed?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was thinking about that this morning. UCONN had 4 kids visit one weekend last month - Samuelson, Collier, Boykin and Gorecki. Geno thought he'd get all 4, but Gorecki chose Duke.

Nice post, Dude!

First, I want to say thanks for Napheesa. Some of us were worried about recruiting and whether we'd ever get another player taller than 5'11". Napheesa was the first to commit or at least to go public with it. That almost seemed to open the floodgates. About 2 weeks later, we learned that De'Janae was coming. Less than two weeks later, Natalie decided to come. A week after that, Katie Lou joined the party. They are all between 6'1" and 6'5", are very talented, and seem like great kids. Napheesa started it all!

In terms of 2015, the group of Durr, Brown, Ogunbowale, and Batouly may still be under consideration. Maybe some have become less critical over the past few weeks. I think we still try hard for Durr. She's been compared to Diana and Maya. I also think we need at least 1 guard in the class. I'd prefer Durr, but would be happy with Ogunbowale. With regard to Brown and Batouly, Butler and the 2015 trio make them less critical. I guess that Geno looks at the 2016 kids and decides if he thinks he can get them and whom he prefers between 2015 and 2016. Cox sounds excellent, as does McCoy. I'd like to add 1 guard as well. I liked the video of Boley too. We are at the point where we wonder how many is TOO many. But that certainly beats being forced to go only 6 deep in the NCAA tourney.

This past season, the entire starting 5 earned some sort of AA recognition. I think we have 3-5 players earning similar recognition each year for the next 5 years. We are VERY fortunate!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I say just take a class of 6 and then move on to 2016... Ha ha

This is one year I'd love a monster class (not that it isn't already). Give me Durr or give me death!

Reaction Score
Does anybody know if any of the remaining 2015 targets have scheduled official visits yet?

Reaction Score
The key to this years recruiting was Butler. Her verbal answered the question for a big post player. Her stats her height her work ethic unquestionable and and when you think about it how many post players average a double double. Butler was the missing link.
Just wanted to note that UConn was not "recruiting" Butler but was blessed when she decided to leave Georgetown and was released by them, thus allowing her to look elsewhere. If UConn had done anything to peak her interest before she was released from her scholarship, it could have been ugly with the NCAA. It just turned out superbly for us and I'm thrilled along with many, many, many Boneyarders!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Gorecki was the 4th for breakfast. As a Duke recruit, she served the food. :)

outtahere.gif

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Next on the list might be Crystal Dangerfield, the Sophomore PG from Tennessee. UConn coaches watched her last September and then all went quiet. But the other day JA mentioned that the coaching staff really likes her. Also, Dangerfield is rumored to be very interested in UConn. There are UConn-related re-tweets on her mom's Twitter. Dangerfield idolizes Moriah Jefferson, wearing the same number Mo Jeff did in HS, and she has said she wants to be a nurse which is perfect with UConn's nursing program.

I had a real good feeling about Collier coming and I do with Dangerfield too. Incidentally, Prospects Nation just moved Dangerfield up to #2 in their newly released 2016 rankings.

Edit:

And now Adamec just put out a piece on Dangerfield.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/style-points-dangerfield-jefferson-compare/

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Next on the list might be Crystal Dangerfield, the Sophomore PG from Tennessee. UConn coaches watched her last September and then all went quiet. But the other day JA mentioned that the coaching staff really likes her. Also, Dangerfield is rumored to be very interested in UConn. There are UConn-related re-tweets on her mom's Twitter. Dangerfield idolizes Moriah Jefferson, wearing the same number Mo Jeff did in HS, and she has said she wants to be a nurse which is perfect with UConn's nursing program.

I had a real good feeling about Collier coming and I do with Dangerfield too. Incidentally, Prospects Nation just moved Dangerfield up to #2 in their newly released 2016 rankings.

Edit:

And now Adamec just put out a piece on Dangerfield.

Would absolutely LOVE to poach one out of TN's backyard.

The fact that a TN kid loves UCONN warms the cold cockles of my heart.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It hasn't been mentioned here, but Adamec said back in January that the Huskies' interest in Kalani Brown had "waned considerably".

Her name still comes up here and there in recruiting articles but it's felt like UConn moved on a while ago. I saw her play in her state title game. She's huge and has some ability, but she's also a plodder who I don't think fits well with the super quick and mobile rosters UConn will have the next few years. Much better off, imo, to focus on Cox/McCoy.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
It hasn't been mentioned here, but Adamec said back in January that the Huskies' interest in Kalani Brown had "waned considerably".

Her name still comes up here and there in recruiting articles but it's felt like UConn moved on a while ago. I saw her play in her state title game. She's huge and has some ability, but she's also a plodder who I don't think fits well with the super quick and mobile rosters UConn will have the next few years. Much better off, imo, to focus on Cox/McCoy.

Thanks...makes sense.

U

UCONNfan1

Would absolutely LOVE to poach one out of TN's backyard.
Couldn't agree more. Diminutive but speedy PG (at 5'5", she is REALLY small), but if she's that good, and a pure 1, would be terrific to have her on board. Maybe an alternative plan if Durr goes elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom