So This is What We May Have if Nothing Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For a conference of 10 teams it seem like these are the scenarios;

Big East - East

UConn - Rutgers - Temple - Navy - West Virginia

Big East - West

Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida, TCU, Air Force (or SMU)

To go to 12 teams add UCF, Villanova or Army to the East. UCF stands out in this group, However the pressure to take the 3rd Academy may be too much, but Army may not be interested as they are the Academy that struggles the most to compete. Nova should be a last resort.

In the West they could add whichever one of and SMU that is not in the group of 10, or Houston. To be honest I would like to leave out and bring in both SMU and Houston, but may be necessary to bring in Navy.

It includes 5 teams that have played in recent BCS games (UConn, WVU, Louisville, Cincinnati, and TCU) and don't forget Shiano and Rutgers are deforesting NJ while they chop towards a national championship. There is a strong eastern presence with teams in the tri-state, Philly, and Maryland, along with the strong WVU fanbase. Marketable western cities with potentially 2 teams in Dallas/Fort Worth, Cincy, Louisville, Tampa and maybe Houston.

Is this enough to salvage the BE as an AQ conference and get a decent TV contract?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It is painful to look at that. Say what you want about the quality of SU and Pitt, recent performances but at least those programs had some historic cache of high level eastern football. This is the Big East in name only. WVU is the only heavyweight program left. How long before their recruiting suffers with this conference lineup?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's been my point all along. This may keep it afloat, and retain the AQ status (barely), but there is no way, long term, that such a league is viable.

I think WVU, Cincy and Louisville have better options. With lesser academic credentials, and locations that are more south/midwest than northeastern, they can probably join with TCU, SMU, SFU, CFU and some others from Conf USA and create a decent league that can survive. I don't see how UConn and Rutgers fit with those schools in any scenario. We have only one thing in common, we've been shut out of the other conferences so far. That's not much to build on.

Reaction Score
It does look pretty weak. When the dust settles we'll know more. I just try to keep a positive attitude, because it's either that or play the game of what ifs.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
It is actually a better TV offering than you think. The service academies do bring eyeballs and on a national level. The problem is their commitment to football, small enrollments, lack of appeal as a rival/home draw and lack of "fit" with civilian universities.

It almost seems as if they are invited as a defensive play/patch that doesn't leave the catholics with unwanted baggage should FB dissolve. The Academies as FB only can easily return to independence or smaller conferences. Unlike an all sports member.

Reaction Score
It is actually a better TV offering than you think. The service academies do bring eyeballs and on a national level. The problem is their commitment to football, small enrollments, lack of appeal as a rival/home draw and lack of "fit" with civilian universities.

It almost seems as if they are invited as a defensive play/patch that doesn't leave the catholics with unwanted baggage should FB dissolve. The Academies as FB only can easily return to independence or smaller conferences. Unlike an all sports member.

There is no question that is part of the appeal. However, despite what many here are assuming, just because something that is good for the football schools is not harmful to the basketball schools does not mean it's really not good for the football schools. But if the football schools have roughly equivalent choices, opting for the ones that work for all the members absolutely makes sense.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
With limited options it is better than (oh.....)Villanova in an 18k seat stadium. If I am to be convinced that the BE could rebuild ...again, I am making UCF pick number one, along with ECU and Houston to get to 10 teams, solidify the autobid and hold for now. If anyone else can make the grade program wise, then there will be at least 2 spots available in a 12 team league.

Now if adding Army and Navy and an 8 game conference schedule gets ND, then never mind. But can anyone credibly believe that is likely?

Reaction Score
With limited options it is better than (oh.....)Villanova in an 18k seat stadium. If I am to be convinced that the BE could rebuild ...again, I am making UCF pick number one, along with ECU and Houston to get to 10 teams, solidify the autobid and hold for now. If anyone else can make the grade program wise, then there will be at least 2 spots available in a 12 team league.

Now if adding Army and Navy and an 8 game conference schedule gets ND, then never mind. But can anyone credibly believe that is likely?

The push for Navy and Air Force is not to get ND to play football in the Big East. That is simply never going to happen. Period.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
and don't forget Shiano and Rutgers are deforesting NJ while they chop towards a national championship.
lol

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
northandeast-uconn/ruty/wvu/temple/navy/lville/cincy/army
southandwest-usf/ucf/tcu/smu/uh/ecu/uab/memphis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors