So this has to be said before Monday's B12 news conference... | The Boneyard

So this has to be said before Monday's B12 news conference...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
UConn is an absolutely abysmal fit in the Big 12. We are a northeast basketball first school looking to get an invite into a southern football first conference. We are academically miles away from all but Texas. Geography is ridiculous. Culturally we are a square peg in the Big 12's round hole.

Still notwithstanding all that, we have worked our way to be one of the top contenders for expansion. That speaks well of our brand nationally. The lesson, if we don't get an invite, isn't that we weren't worthy, it is that our national brand, academics and athletics are strong enough to make leagues that we have no business joining think long and hard about us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
100% on point. For UConn right now

B12 > AAC
ACC, B1G > B12

Reaction Score
UConn is an absolutely abysmal fit in the Big 12. We are a northeast basketball first school looking to get an invite into a southern football first conference. We are academically miles away from all but Texas. Geography is ridiculous. Culturally we are a square peg in the Big 12's round hole.

Still notwithstanding all that, we have worked our way to be one of the top contenders for expansion. That speaks well of our brand nationally. The lesson, if we don't get an invite, isn't that we weren't worthy, it is that our national brand, academics and athletics is strong enough to make league that we have no business being in think long and hard about us.
Very cogent points. Needed to be said. But UConn football under Randy Edsall was ranked pretty high nationally. We may be able to get back there. If Diaco is not the guy to do it, we can't have blind loyalty. The post-Edsall football program was clearly the reason we did not make the ACC and I think if UConn could even have an 8-4 season, and win a decent bowl game, the ACC may give us another look.

Reaction Score
If uconn is passed over or big 12 doesn't expand, there will be lots of discussion. For football, I hope the Big East isn't seriously considered.

That would be a white flag on Uconn being a top program athletically

Hopefully the AAC would still be viable.

Reaction Score
Others may have posted too, but if B12 skips all expansion why not add BYU and either Boise or GA Southern as football only?

No idea on timing with GORs and such, just thinking build on the football strength.

If uconn is passed over or big 12 doesn't expand, there will be lots of discussion. For football, I hope the Big East isn't seriously considered.

Reaction Score
Others may have posted too, but if B12 skips all expansion why not add BYU and either Boise or GA Southern as football only?

No idea on timing with GORs and such, just thinking build on the football strength.
Ga southern????
Seriously? In what world does uconn aspire to be conference mates with ga southern?

Reaction Score
Please let me ask for the 3rd time what no one seems to know the answer: when do the ACC and Big 10 television contracts expire?

The reason for the question is that if the B12 does not admit UConn then the next best chance for UConn to be admitted to a P5 conference is when the ACC or Big 10 tv contracts expire.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
Please let me ask for the 3rd time what no one seems to know the answer: when do the ACC and Big 10 television contracts expire?

The reason for the question is that if the B12 does not admit UConn then the next best chance for UConn to be admitted to a P5 conference is when the ACC or Big 10 tv contracts expire.

Thanks.
6 years on Big 10 deal - ESPN stays in the game

20 years on ACC deal - ESPN-backed ACC Network launches in 2019

But, I don't think that has any bearing on expansion. Big 12 deal isn't up for 10 years yet here we are.

Reaction Score
ACC's is set until 2036, though there are three look-ins (the first in 2021) where the contract can be reworked. I think the Big Ten is set until 2023.

Reaction Score

Thanks.
There are only 2 more years left of the Big East transition cash. If something doesn't happen in the next two years, FBS football is doomed at UConn. And the Big East has stated it does not want to expand (it is too big already). All sports except FB stay in the ACC and FB moves to an FCS conference.

Reaction Score

Thanks.

When conference media deals expire:

Conference Year
Big Ten 2022-23
Pac-12 2023-24
Big 12 2024-25
ACC 2036-37
SEC 2033-34

Reaction Score
UConn could get corporate ads all over jerseys and the athletic department will be fine. There's many avenues for revenue are to be developed. College sports has been going the way of pro sports. Much of D1 is essentially minor leagues (or youth-level major league).

Man, how much vision do you guys have? Things are changing right in front of our faces in many ways (hello, NBA?). UConn will be fine. No way the school is going to go D3 or the Big East. Freaking relax. Yes, corporate sponsorship is going to be huge. Already is.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When the SWC folded into the B-12 (along with the entirety of the B-8), it could have easily been said that the four schools left behind (TCU, Houston, SMU, Rice) would not be able to compete at that level once the players recruited before they were relegated graduated. Somehow TCU was able to do it and now Houston is performing as well as any B-12 school.

What I don't get is why so many on the boneyard believe that it is so easy to build a competitive football team quickly (leading to complaints about how in year three we are not one of the best teams in this conference), basically exceeding what other schools in our position are doing yet at the same time believe it is impossible for us to do what a few have done (build a P-5 quality football program while on the outside).

Reaction Score
When the SWC folded into the B-12 (along with the entirety of the B-8), it could have easily been said that the four schools left behind (TCU, Houston, SMU, Rice) would not be able to compete at that level once the players recruited before they were relegated graduated. Somehow TCU was able to do it and now Houston is performing as well as any B-12 school.

What I don't get is why so many on the boneyard believe that it is so easy to build a competitive football team quickly (leading to complaints about how in year three we are not one of the best teams in this conference), basically exceeding what other schools in our position are doing yet at the same time believe it is impossible for us to do what a few have done (build a P-5 quality football program while on the outside).
@FfldCntyFan thats easy....they are the generation of Post-JC UConn Basketball Fans! They don't remember the Dom Perno years or the early JC years..just BE championships, NCAA tourney apprearances and National titles! People like you and I remember that being invited to the NCAA tourney was a cause for clelebration! Now people roll their eyes when we don't get such and such seed!

Reaction Score
There are only 2 more years left of the Big East transition cash. If something doesn't happen in the next two years, FBS football is doomed at UConn. And the Big East has stated it does not want to expand (it is too big already). All sports except FB stay in the ACC and FB moves to an FCS conference.
The Big East would take UConn if we were seriously considering them. We are still in the Big East in some of the lesser sports. Plus, their basketball ratings are abysmal. UConn would instantly bring up ratings and prestige. That being said, I would only want to put hoops in the Big East if we could leave football in the AAC (or a P5 but that obviously isn't happening).

Reaction Score

Frankly I'm hoping for no exspansion.
I think it will be easier to achieve the necessary success to entice more suitable conferences to add UConn in the AAC than as a B12 doormat.
AAC football if left intact has achieved significant credibility in three or four years.
Its up to our football team to not only take advantage of that but to add to it by playing winning football .
If intact ,our next contract will be significantly better and should insure our survival.
What we do with that opportunity is up to us.

Reaction Score
If we get passed over by the Big 12 for 2+ American teams, I would explore MWC for football and Big East for all other sports.

The depleted American isn't getting any MWC schools to backfill and at that point the MWC would be the best G5 conference.

Grab a travel partner from the East to come with us and set up a OOC scheduling agreement in hoops where we play 3-5 MWC schools annually and we can make it happen.

Keeps football more relevant than in a depleted American, allows for a better conference schedule in hoops.

Just my opinion.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Honestly, I agree with everything the OP said but this is it for us. If the Big 12 holds and takes no one we are still alive and have a shot down the road.

If they take 2 AAC schools and we aren't one, we are finished and my interest in college sports is probably finished as well. I've watched and loved CFB since I was a kid. However, being on the outside and likely for good has me beyond disinterested. The fact that schools that have had less success then us across all athletic fields makes me nauseous. I get the football drives the bus but come the heck on.....

Hopefully tomorrow's presser results in a "We are going to stay at 10 as we don't need to expand". If that happens, we have a chance. If there is an announcement that involves expansion without UConn, we're done.

Reaction Score
Frankly I'm hoping for no exspansion.
I think it will be easier to achieve the necessary success to entice more suitable conferences to add UConn in the AAC than as a B12 doormat.
AAC football if left intact has achieved significant credibility in three or four years.
Its up to our football team to not only take advantage of that but to add to it by playing winning football .
If intact ,our next contract will be significantly better and should insure our survival.
What we do with that opportunity is up to us.
Agree. I think the AAC has been pretty good on the fb field.
I think hoops will slowly pull away from Big East as well.

Wonder if Aresco could do an incentive based deal. Clearly, getting teams in top 25 is ideal with teams competing for playoff spot as a homer in. So if a base deal is $10M/yr team, maybe it's $9M, but any year the team has a top 25 team it's worth $20M for the league, top 10 is another $10M... Multiple teams would increase payout.

That way both sides have a chance to win and invest. If I'm SEC or Big, why take the gamble. I would demand top dollar. But if you're a league like AAC, it might take a gamble like that. A good season could get those top teams closer to the big boys.

If I'm the network, I'm paying for top games I can pump to advertisers. Don't see the downside as long as I get a little discount where a season of no ranked teams.

Reaction Score
What I'd like to see but will never happen:
FSU and Clemson to the Big12. UConn and Cincy to the ACC. Get the football-centric bullies out of the ACC, get the basketball powers into the ACC. Boom.

I know GOR and all. Rules were made to be broken.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We might need a purging of the trolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads