So the timing... | The Boneyard

So the timing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So what they announced today they could have announced almost a month ago...

So why did they wait? Was it the fact there was no way an OC worth a damn was going to sign onto Diaco's Titanic?

Does anyone doubt the story the father of the kid who flipped to Temple relayed now?

I was getting worried because I said if he was around on the 3rd I wasn't going to go to basketball games and that team needs all the fans in the seats it can get.

Reaction Score
Needed to put a plan in place and have a hire lined up so the boosters would pay for it?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Something changed between 2 weeks ago and today. It was my understanding that Diaco had an action plan that he was supposed to abide by. If he chose not to do it, then the timing makes perfect sense. Additionally, I think they have pinpointed who they want.

This move is Goetz and Benedict- Herbst gives the OK but they are the ones who are running this show. As it should be.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My guesss is that they needed someone to recruit through to the dead period. Bob did. He did a decent job of it really. They knew the guy(s) they wanted couldn't come until January and they couldn't let Bob go until January. So why announce it earlier? What do you gain? You can't hire anyone until he's gone.

Reaction Score
I still had lingering hope simply because everything was so quiet. That was the single biggest indicator. Plus, Diaco would have worked his butt off to keep his best recruit if he believed he was coming back.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It feels like it took this long for Benedict to raise the money and convince Herbst.

Let's face it...Benedict didn't come here to be a long term AD. This is a stepping stone job for him. And...there is no way he is stepping anywhere unless the football program turns around. Leaving BD in place would not only delay his progress but also possibly damage his reputation. Imagine if BD went 6-6 next year? Does he give him another year?

For him to advance his own career, he had to figure out a way to make a change and get his own guy in there. He didn't want to hitch his wagon to Crazy Bobby (his decisions are insane!!!!)....sorry for the Eddie Antar reference.

So...I think he went out and got the money to make it happen...and it took time. I also think he wanted to line up the new coach...which was part of his pitch to the donors.

I think the next coach will have some history with DB...because this hire will greatly impact his career.

Reaction Score
It feels like it took this long for Benedict to raise the money and convince Herbst.

Let's face it...Benedict didn't come here to be a long term AD. This is a stepping stone job for him. And...there is no way he is stepping anywhere unless the football program turns around. Leaving BD in place would not only delay his progress but also possibly damage his reputation. Imagine if BD went 6-6 next year? Does he give him another year?

For him to advance his own career, he had to figure out a way to make a change and get his own guy in there. He didn't want to hitch his wagon to Crazy Bobby (his decisions are insane!!!!)....sorry for the Eddie Antar reference.

So...I think he went out and got the money to make it happen...and it took time. I also think he wanted to line up the new coach...which was part of his pitch to the donors.

I think the next coach will have some history with DB...because this hire will greatly impact his career.

I think he had the financial package together for a while. There might have been some contractual or legal issue to firing a guy a so far from 1 January when his buyout went down.

If you fire someone proactively and then hire someone before buyout date then it's like you cheated the contract.

So, you wait until about a week before and then you can hire someone and have them in the seat in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, you don't make this move unless you are reasonably certain who the new guy might be-I would think.

Reaction Score
Not worried about Diaco. He's a rich man.
Timing sucks for the staff, who has to scurry about at this late time for employment.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Timing sucks for the staff, who has to scurry about at this late time for employment.
If I remember correctly both with Edsall's departure and the job search that led to Diaco's hire we offered all assistants a one month contract and an interview with the new HC (all but a couple accepted the first time, I believe all did the second time).

The new HC will be given an opportunity to retain any assistant coach, depending on how willing the assistant is.

Reaction Score
I still had lingering hope simply because everything was so quiet. That was the single biggest indicator.
Me too. I said it was 50-50 on January 2 and I never said anything different.

Reaction Score
A wasted month thanks to a poor decision by people who don't really have respect for money who had the wool pulled over their eyes by a very crafty agent.

Reaction Score
Either hoping boosters would help with the buyout, or was negotiating with a candidate and wanted to make sure they had him before dumping Red Pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom