So stoked to have CV for 4 years | The Boneyard

So stoked to have CV for 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
In this young season, Vital has excelled at 2 things that the rest of the team has really struggled with: Man-to-man perimeter defense and 3-pt shooting.
He stepped up big tonight with Adams and Purvis struggling badly on the offensive end. Vital was very solid all game, until he turned the ball over late with under a minute left. But he made sure he hustled back and got a big rebound on the ensuing possession.

Vital will be a ROCK in our back court for a long time... one of those players that other teams will wonder when the heck he's going to graduate because he's always a thorn in the other team's side because of his defense and timely shot-making. He will provide important depth(for times like this) and if he can become a dependable jump shooter, he'll carve out a bigger role than most think for the years to come.

CV looks to be a prototypical HUSKY and fan favorite with his toughness/defense. Good stuff tonight, CV!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In this young season, Vital has excelled at 2 things that this team has really struggled with: Man-to-man perimeter defense and 3-pt shooting. He stepped up big tonight with Adams and Purvis struggling badly on the offensive end. Vital was very solid all game, until he turned the ball over late with under a minute left. But he made sure he hustled back and got a big rebound on the next possession.

Vital will be a ROCK in our back court for a long time... one of those players that other teams will wonder when the heck he's going to graduate because he's always a thorn in the other team's side because of his defense and timely shot-making. He will provide important depth(for times like this) and if he can become a dependable jump shooter, he'll carve out a bigger role than most thing for the years to come.

CV looks to be a prototypical HUSKY and fan favorite with his toughness/defense. Good stuff tonight, CV!

He's been one of the few bright spots this season. It's about dang time we've found a diamond in the rough out there.

Reaction Score
Think we all saw it in the LMU game, he's not afraid to do a heavy crossover and get in the paint. not afraid to catch n shoot, this guy is a straight up shooter you can tell cause he never pump fakes unnecessarily. and he also gets after it on defense, you can tell why he was one of the best prep players in new england last year.

Reaction Score
The kid ain't scared and is not interested in deferring to Rodney (or anyone else). He's the biggest benefactor of the injuries and with Ollie coaching him, in four years he will be a star and playing like he was always 5 star recruit. This to me makes him the prototype UConn basketball player (i.e. Gem to Diamond)!

Reaction Score
The downside might be that should he continue to excelerate in his development, he may be gone.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We get CV back? He's 32 so by the end he may be a little ragged but he'd be a great zone buster.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
The downside might be that should he continue to excelerate in his development, he may be gone.
Lol slow down. The kid is good for a freshman ranked outside the top 150. He's a pleasant surprise, not blowing anyone away. He's got a long way to go if he wants to leave early.

Reaction Score
I thought we would like Vital and now that I have seen him play I'm very encouraged. He appears to be a lunchpail type of guard. He plays good defense, has a good handle and can shoot it enough to draw the defense. He's missed some bunnies at the rim but usually in a bunch of traffic. He's tough. I think we are going to be very happy with him as a Husky. He's going to get some really important developmental minutes this year that are going to make him all that much better in the years to come. I'm a big fan already.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
The big rebound CV came up with late in the BU game reminded me a lot of Kemba/Bazz/Boat. I used to love they way they attacked the long rebounds like that. That's a lot of what we're missing. I'd have Adams, Gilbert, CV, Purvis all watching these guys do that. Watch how they read the shot and put themselves in position to get the long rebounds. Those also help get on the break. Kemba and Bazz made a living doing that.

Reaction Score
The big rebound CV came up with late in the BU game reminded me a lot of Kemba/Bazz/Boat. I used to love they way they attacked the long rebounds like that. That's a lot of what we're missing. I'd have Adams, Gilbert, CV, Purvis all watching these guys do that. Watch how they read the shot and put themselves in position to get the long rebounds. Those also help get on the break. Kemba and Bazz made a living doing that.

Watch other games/teams and see 4 sometimes 5 guys crashing the boards thinking, how many times do I see this team retreating while the opponent is mopping up another rebound with only their colored uni's in the picture?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
BUMP

Despite CV going 0-6 from the field, I never would have known that when he confidently stepped to the FT stripe with the game on the line. You know he had to be nervous... playing in his home city, having not shot well all game. He's a freshman after all. But his FTs were smooth and composed -- speaks volumes of the kid. He'll be fan favorite by the time he graduates here.

Reaction Score
vital has always been the man, we all saw it vs lmu.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
BUMP

Despite CV going 0-6 from the field, I never would have known that when he confidently stepped to the FT stripe with the game on the line. You know he had to be nervous... playing in his home city, having not shot well all game. He's a freshman after all. But his FTs were smooth and composed -- speaks volumes of the kid. He'll be fan favorite by the time he graduates here.

Cahones. Reminded me of when Boatright got fouled on a three against FSU in his first game freshman year after serving a suspension. He swished all three.

From CT Post:

With 7.3 seconds remaining in regulation and the Huskies trailing 71-68, Boatright was fouled by Florida State's Jeff Peterson on a 3-pointer from the right wing. He said he "knew he was going to hit the first two," it was the third he was worried about. That one, too, found the bottom of the net.

Afterwards, Calhoun said he's had "very few players ever" (and he emphasized ever) capable of hitting those three in that moment.

"Honestly, I don't think I would have made all three when I was a freshman," said point guard Shabazz Napier, who scored a game-high 26 points and hit six 3-pointers.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom