So, do we like the four quarter, 40 minute format for WCBB? | The Boneyard

So, do we like the four quarter, 40 minute format for WCBB?

What is your take on the 4x10 game format for WCBB?

• I like or love that change

Votes: 54 77.1%
  • I dislike or abhor that change

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I'm wholly indifferent to that change

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Just checking in here. Last WCBB season, the NCAA implemented a game timing format following the olympics and the WNBA, namely 4x10 rather than 2X20. Did we have a consensus as to whether the change was good, bad, or entirely neutral? I'd like to see some voting and discussion here. Additionally, is there yet another format you'd like to see in the future of WCBB?

Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this matter.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I like the 20 minute halfs... had a better idea when the timeouts were coming 16, 12, 8, and 4

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Twice as many chances for buzzer-beaters now. The quarters took some getting use to, but I'm ok with them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really like it - all the changes involved from the fouls rule, the time-outs, the reduction in TV time-outs, the advance of the ball with times outs at the end of the game. I think it actually seems to flow better and feels like they play longer. And it creates an interesting dynamic as each quarter becomes a separate phase. The quarter breaks have a similar effect to the half-time - each one has its own feel.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I definitely approve. For one thing, under the new rule it's one fewer forced timeout per half (old way was 4 media timeouts per half, now it's 2 media timeouts and one break between quarters). It also brings the college game more in line with international and professional play.

Reaction Score
personally, I think it's a disadvantage for the Huskies. It negates to some degree their conditioning and gives other teams a chance to catch their breath. It may hurt he Huskies late first and second half runs when the other team is dragging.

Reaction Score
pppggg makes a very good point about what is potentially best for the Huskies. But I believe that overall it's best for the game. If nothing else, it aligns the game with the fans' expectations coming from high school and pro basketball, and gives us older folks an extra few minutes to find the few bathrooms at Gampel.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'd love to revisit with the folks who thought the change was going to interrupt the flow of an already flow-struggling game....

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I like the four quarter game. The only thing I don't like is doing away with the one and one free throw.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Just like Geno, I like these changes.;)

I was mildly annoyed at first at the notion that we Americans were adapting to the international game. Hey, I thought (paraphrasing notable philosopher David Ortiz): "This is our. . . game!"

Then I relented and realized that while our game has become internationally popular, teams and coaches worldwide are stuck with hoops 10' from the floor and 18" in diameter -- with a free throw line 15' away. And so on.

So I guess it's only fair to come together on what's good for the game. Might as well; these changes are here to stay. So go for it! :)

Reaction Score
pppggg makes a very good point about what is potentially best for the Huskies. But I believe that overall it's best for the game. If nothing else, it aligns the game with the fans' expectations coming from high school and pro basketball, and gives us older folks an extra few minutes to find the few bathrooms at Gampel.
The thing I find disconcerting (to a minor degree) is that the halves go much faster--by the clock on the wall. When I set my DVR for the 1 hour expectation (in the 20 minute halves) I run into halftime blabbing and the whole game ends 20 minutes sooner than the expected 2 hours of game) Fewer timeouts, less foul shooting,
the game moves right along. I just have to learn how to eject the half time show (yuk) and I'll be ok.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The thing I find disconcerting (to a minor degree) is that the halves go much faster--by the clock on the wall. When I set my DVR for the 1 hour expectation (in the 20 minute halves) I run into halftime blabbing and the whole game ends 20 minutes sooner than the expected 2 hours of game) Fewer timeouts, less foul shooting,
the game moves right along. I just have to learn how to eject the half time show (yuk) and I'll be ok.
same here... I also factor in fights, condensation on the floors, lights malfunction etc! DVR space isnt costing me a dime so no biggie to add an extra hour to the recording time

Reaction Score
same here... I also factor in fights, condensation on the floors, lights malfunction etc! DVR space isnt costing me a dime so no biggie to add an extra hour to the recording time
I really hate to squander hard drive space. It's not about the cost --it's about being frugal in all things--maybe religious--or Monk like, or Himalayan in nature. Ommmmm!
Question --how do you know it was really condensation??? Hmmmmmm?

This is OUR GAME--started by a Canadian in Canada and adapted in Springfield--

Reaction Score
personally, I think it's a disadvantage for the Huskies. It negates to some degree their conditioning and gives other teams a chance to catch their breath. It may hurt he Huskies late first and second half runs when the other team is dragging.

How? Are there more timeouts now? My impression was there were not.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Uh, the four-quarter system has fewer built-in breaks than the two-half system. Now it's a stoppage every 5 minutes, as opposed to every 4.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have always hated the 20 minute halves and never understood their purpose or where the came from. All basketball should be played with four quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom