So Benedict says to Burton: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So Benedict says to Burton:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diaco is 11-22 as head coach.

The season isn't over, but wiggle room to show improvement is scarce.

I didn't watch this game, and just checked score a little while ago. I had this pegged as a won. Cold wet day and a Florida team?

The AD better have a short list of names, and be sending out the feelers.

This coach might know how to win at eating breakfast, but from calling a FG to get the kicker practice in the opener against BYU a while back, to the sinking feeling I had in stands watching the offense first series against Maine this year, to reading about a missed fake field goal today?

I get the feeling that the used car salesman in this coach might be for real, and CT has lemon laws.

Reaction Score
I said Frost is a better coach than Diaco way back, he just proved it today. He took a warm weather team to our place in the rain with inferior talent, and he kicked our asses.

Diaco needs to go. Nice guy and great cheerleader, but a horrible horrible coach.

That was winnable game we just lost.

Enough of this guy - Diaco is abysmal!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I said Frost is a better coach than Diaco way back, he just proved it today. He took a warm weather team to our place in the rain with inferior talent, and he kicked our asses.

Diaco needs to go. Nice guy and great cheerleader, but a horrible horrible coach.

That was winnable game we just lost.

Beat that damn dog some more. We get it you hate Diaco but than again werent you a big coach that should never be named on here.

He gets another year just to piss you off and the rest of the minion's

Reaction Score
I don't know though. Diaco isn't Benedicts hire. Benedict wants to get fans in the seats and without competent coaching that isn't happening. They lose the next 3 which is a real possibility they might not even get the band to the Tulane game never mind any fans. The level of incompetence is stunning.

Reaction Score
If this team doesn't turn around. The turnout for Tulane will be lower than CT high school football games at Rentschler.

Reaction Score
Bob''s a nice guy and the kids love him I understand.
As a BB fan who went to many games before Jim Calhoun i can't help thinking Diaco reminds me of Don Perno who was also a great guy.
Bob is a Jr trainee coach who overmatched by the other coaches just a Dom was overmatched.
The fact that you returned almost the entire offense from last year and went backwards is all you need to know about his ability.
Since CR realignment is on hold for awhile the urgency is off so maybe the kid will finally get it. I suspect after three years the probability of that happening is growing slimmer.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
This year seems to reflect more of the 2-10 season, not the 6-6 season. If we lose three of the next 4, I agree, year 4 could be his last year but it would have to take another 4-8 type of season to make that happen.. really sad, I'm sure like many other die hards, it's hard to remain positive and continue to support this type of product year in and out.. basketball can't start soon enough.

Reaction Score
Nah. He needs to show significant improvement next year,not 6-6 type improvement but Temple/Memphis type and he is just not good enough to do this. Someone said he has no feel for the game and I think that is exactly right. He might know X's and O's but has no feel for how to put the pieces together. His schtic worked for a while because he was replacing the guy he replaced but Warde the football guy showed once agin that he was over his head too

Reaction Score
I would take the Randy Edsall years in a HEARTBEAT right now. Competent physical football with athletes that looked like they belonged on the same field as mid level P5 teams. Sadly those years might be the golden years of UConn football when we look back.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Benedict has SEC experience and isn't stupid.
He extended Diaco sight unseen.

Got to try to undo that screw-up by stripping HC power from crazy Bob one way or another. Ideally he could fire Verducci and get, get TJ or a TJ-like OC on the staff, and make that dude the playcaller/gameplanner for this team and next year's. Let Bob be the figurehead and recruiter.

And then kick him to the curb on Jan 1, 2018 when his buy-out drops to a reasonable level.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
How much would it take to acquire Whipple and his entire staff (including Foley's OL return)? I'm trying to hold on to some semblance of hope for the future, and I can't believe that I have become envious of UMass... :mad:

Edit: I just looked it up and the entire staff, including Whipple, would cost 840k. That's right. The entire staff!

Reaction Score
It seems hard to understand why the coaching staff can't by now recognize that their talent doesn't allow for the type of football they continue to favor.
Diaco started off by recruiting "size" --apparently looking to play smash-face football. In doing so, he seems to have sacrificed speed and solid athletic ability. We now find ourselves playing teams that more often, than not, favor a more wide open offense and, with the talent we've acquired, we can't match-up to their speed and high offense firepower.
The contract buyout is a serious prohibitor, but allowing this train to continue to go down the track in the wrong direction makes recovery in any short term extremely dim. We need a change...and the sooner the better!!!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Wow, were there some prescient posts in that thread. How could that happen without Muntz participating?

He was too busy predicting that diallo was athletic enough for the AAC or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom