SNY UConn All Access | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SNY UConn All Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I was impressed with the conditioning they had her do and wouldn't push her past what she was ready for. It made me wish Brittany Hunter had come to UConn first.

My eyes about popped out of my head when I saw how they had BBanks jumping off a platform onto what might best be described as a small "gel pillow" or "squishy blob" :) at floor level, with one leg! The bad leg!!

Honestly, it looked like the absolute LAST thing you would ever want to see her land on with that knee! Instant blow-out city, or at least a broken ankle. But obviously that's wrong, and they do it at the appropriate juncture during rehab to strengthen the knee.

But it still freaked me out ......

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My eyes about popped out of my head when I saw how they had BBanks jumping off a platform onto what might best be described as a small "gel pillow" or "squishy blob" :) at floor level, with one leg! The bad leg!!

Honestly, it looked like the absolute LAST thing you would ever want to see her land on with that knee! Instant blow-out city, or at least a broken ankle. But obviously that's wrong, and they do it at the appropriate juncture during rehab to strengthen the knee.

But it still freaked me out ......

Had to do the same thing with rehabing my quad. I never did it from as high a step. It is an incredibly hard exercise aimed at engaging all the micromuscles used in balance. Another one was standing on a larger half ball and playing pass and catch with two feet, then the good leg and then yes, the bad leg.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Let's see if I can paraphrase here. Geno said the reason he continues to Coach is that every Freshman who comes to UConn has not had the unique experience of winning a National championship. He wants them to have that experience. He told Kelly Faris before last year's tournament, that he was going to do everything he could to have it end the right way. Then they showed Kelly cutting down the nets. Geno's voice over was that the look on Kelly's face when the final buzzer sounded made it all worthwhile.

Only a UConn fan could fully appreciate that segment.

Last time I remembered Geno being so personally invested in getting the NC for one particular player was for Renee in '09.

(This is not to say that the opportunity to get a NC for *all* of his players isn't a motivation. He said as much again last night.)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Did anyone find the coaches' conversation in Geno's office re: team leadership fascinating?

The BY has mused about who will take the torch from Kelly when it comes to "setting the standard" in practice (and in games, too). Doing the little things, going at 100% at all times, pushing others to do their maximum, highlighting unacceptable performance as needed, etc. etc.

We had discussed KML due to the high esteem in which she holds all things Kelly Faris. However, when Geno asked for names, either CD or Shea called out, "Moriah." The discussion that followed was quite interesting - I'll have to watch it again. It may be that KML is trying to channel her inner KF for the remainder of her career but that this does not extend to pushing others in quite the same way.

P.S. Marissa kicked things off by observing that "When ____ was here, there was no question" about who set the standard, how high it was, and who pushed the team to adhere to the standard. That player is now doing the same thing in Minnesota. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the link!

Surprised there have not been more comments about the Breanna-the-enigma portion of clip 1.

Me too. But also in there about Breanna was Bria's: "I'm jealous of her ability." And Moriah was utterly genuine in saying (paraphrase) "what she's going to do the world has never seen that before." (sorta like Sue about Di). Di was a brat (mean that affectionately folks) and I see Breanna being in that vein. Di had that horrible 1-14 performance, Bre had the freshman drought. It remains to be seen where her sophomore season goes - certainly most of the next 20 games are not going to say much ( at a minimum she better feast on the low hanging fruit) - and she will get to improve more in practice than the regular season. This will be fascinating to watch.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Did anyone find the coaches' conversation in Geno's office re: team leadership fascinating?

The BY has mused about who will take the torch from Kelly when it comes to "setting the standard" in practice (and in games, too). Doing the little things, going at 100% at all times, pushing others to do their maximum, highlighting unacceptable performance as needed, etc. etc.

We had discussed KML due to the high esteem in which she holds all things Kelly Faris. However, when Geno asked for names, either CD or Shea called out, "Moriah." The discussion that followed was quite interesting - I'll have to watch it again. It may be that KML is trying to channel her inner KF for the remainder of her career but that this does not extend to pushing others in quite the same way.

P.S. Marissa kicked things off by observing that "When ____ was here, there was no question" about who set the standard, how high it was, and who pushed the team to adhere to the standard. That player is now doing the same thing in Minnesota. :)
Yes - I think that was a very telling moment - and a surprise to hear MoJeff put forward - but if you listen to it again, it is about the high level of energy in EVERYTHING during practice and in thinking about it, it made sense. I cannot imagine anyone having more intensity or pace than MoJeff. So seeing her as the level to which everyone else is held to does make sense.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Thanks for the link!

Surprised there have not been more comments about the Breanna-the-enigma portion of clip 1.
What makes Geno great is that he coaches ALL his players, no matter how great they are, or think they are. Tina was the best example of that. Number One recruit out of high school, Tina could have been content to rest on her laurels. But Tina said she came to UConn to be pushed, and Geno certainly did that. He is now doing the same with Brianna. Although this was filmed during pre-season, I can still see Brianna doing some backsliding. Even the great ones need to be pushed, perhaps even more than others.

IMHO, great players that go to other schools don't get pushed the way Geno does it. ( and by that I mean don't develop to their full potential.) I could name some names, but that might just P.O. some other teams fans. Besides, there is no way to prove or disprove my theory, just observation.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
There you go again :)

View attachment 4269

DAD: am calling the DVR "tape"....a misnomer....but seems more congruent with the Conestoga wagon on which we roll. Do you need/want to see a certain game? We have several recent and several some years old..
thanks for clearing that up
images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member