SMU wins a thriller | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SMU wins a thriller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And SMU didnt have that option so they took their lemons and made Lemonade...

They are making some very fine lemonade at that, but I think they would rather have had a bud light.

Reaction Score
If a school wins the NIT, that might be the first thing YOU think of. The first thing I think of is, "too bad they got left out because they were obviously good enough to make the NCAAs and they probably got screwed".

Of course making 8 straight NCAA tournaments means something, but that wasn't part of the equation. The question was based on one year. NIT Final Four/Championship or early NCAA exit? Not "8 straight" NCAA appearances or "NIT Final Four".

Winning an NIT championship is not an easy task. SMU has 26 wins. FSU has 22. Louisiana Tech won 29. Southern Miss won 29. Minnesota and Clemson have 23. I'm not arguing these are all NCAA worthy teams. But say SMU wins and ends up the season at 28-9. Considering they were in the top 25 for part of the year, I don't think there's any negative from winning the NIT. And I think that record with a championship is worth more than not making the sweet 16 for a program like SMU. And I would argue they shouldn't have been left out of the NCAAs, not "they weren't good enough for the NCAA's".

The NIT is a tournament for those not good enough to make the tourney. Period. Does winning the NIT prove you were better than any of the last 4 in - no, it does not. It proves that you were better than all the other teams that were behind the last 4 in.

It's good for SMU and the AAC that they are doing so well at the NIT, it would have been better for both if they made the NCAAs.

Put it another way - which would have been a better year for UConn - winning the NIT or losing to Villanova in Buffalo?

pj

Reaction Score
who cares about smu; joke-in '88 when UCONN was NIT champ do you think conf members cared-please

UConn fans cared, and it was indeed a good preparation for the Elite Eight team that followed. SMU's players got to play 3 extra home games plus at least one in New York City and a few extra weeks of practice, SMU got to add to their fan following, and they will get a bit of national publicity. It is good for their program.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
With a NCAA Championship

so doesn't rollie, that makes him amazing
amazing- check out LBs winning percentage for 30 yrs in the NBA and tell us how many division championships he won in 30 yrs
the only amazing thing is he lasted as long as he did
I'll admit there is something that he has allows him to hang but amazing????
if you set your standards at .500 - ok

Reaction Score
If SMU and Houston can get it done. AAC will be a solid bball conference for UConn while we wait for the B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom