SMU takes down A&M | The Boneyard

SMU takes down A&M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Travis Mays' squad nearly squandered a 16-point halftime lead, got outscored 40-25 in the second half, and just barely hung on for a 54-53 win with a stop on the last possession.

Nice win for the AAC.

Reaction Score
Good win for the AAC! My only complaint is that I wish I could have seen it!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Good win for the AAC! My only complaint is that I wish I could have seen it!

Was shown on a live feed via SMU's website. I caught roughly the last 3 minutes. To be honest it wasn't pretty. But SMU did hit a big 3 with about 2:00 left, giving them a 5-point cushion that they just barely hung on to for dear life. Clearly they had done a great defensive job on A&M in the first half, which gave them just enough room for error to secure the win in the end.

Reaction Score
I think this may be the start of something very good and interesting at SMU. Clearly, they're in a hot bed of HS talent with a young coach who has a bright future that has recruiting experience at Texas. I think I saw that he already has a top 25 recruit from the class of 2018.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Poor SEC tough week for them... Baylor gives Tennessee a loss that matches their worst in history @ home, Dawn's Gamecocks don't show up vs JPM, and TAMU loses to an AAC team not named UConn or The Bulls, plus 3 SEC teams fall out of the top 25. Doubt they have another week that awful all season.

HGN

Reaction Score
Way to go SMU !!! AAC starting to get some respect around the league.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You know, the AAC has had a good OOC this year - they aren't exactly battling great teams, but they are winning games that last year they were losing. It isn't P5 strength, but it is improving - 57-29 to this point is not bad and the worst teams have 3 wins each. This is going improve everyone's RPI number so maybe that on the hump team for an NCAA berth will get a bid instead of heading to the NIT.

And the other mid-majors are flexing a little muscle as well - looks like the newBE is getting stronger as well with some signature wins.

The worrying about parity in WCBB is usually confined to the top ten, but I think you are seeing the real parity showing up with the top 15-100 kind of teams and even further down. Better coaching and better player development and maybe a wider pool of HS talent coming in, again not in the top 50 recruits necessarily but in the 50-350 type of recruits that you need to have more balanced leagues and a more balanced national environment. There is also probably just a little more money being spent be schools on the women's side. The fact that the top end of the HS talent still remains in college for 4 years means that the middle rank of teams will never achieve quite as much as they do on the men's side, but I am not sure that matters.

Maybe last year's FF is a precursor of all this as well. Uconn and Oregon State were both top ten, but Syracuse was mid teens and Washington was unranked and go back to the elite eight and it had two unranked teams, two from the teens, two from the top 5 and two from the second five.

I know it is early in the year and most of the usual suspects are populating the top 10 and the top 25, but there are some surprises and again because of the four year players, change isn't going to manifest itself as quickly in WCBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom