'Smart people don't coach' | The Boneyard

'Smart people don't coach'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The quotation was in this morning's Washington Post (Before Jennifer Rizzotti joined Geno Auriemma’s coaching tree, she stood up to him). It's another of Geno's memorable comments, this one focused on Jen Rizzotti. As you know, Jen is currently coaching the women's bb team at George Washington and having (not surprisingly) some success. She says she took the job because it's close to CT, where her family resides. She didn't move to DC, which may be a harbinger for future coaching jobs (?).
The quotation reminds me of Woody Allen's statement that people who can DO, people who can't do TEACH, and people who can't teach, teach PHYS ED. We know that's not true in all cases, though none comes to mind.
The article is in praise of Jen because of her HOF career at UConn, her success at Hartford, and her experience with Geno as player and coach for the USA. The tenor of the piece is also positive about Geno; it shows he's not only smart but flexible. But we Husky fans know all of that . . .

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The quotation reminds me of Woody Allen's statement that people who can DO, people who can't do TEACH, and people who can't teach, teach PHYS ED. We know that's not true in all cases, though none comes to mind.
Those that can do, those that can't, teach. Those that can't teach become administrators. Those that can't administrate become guidance counselors.

Those that can do, those that can't, coach. Those that can't coach, become announcers. Those that can't announce become sideline reporters.

Reaction Score
The quotation was in this morning's Washington Post (Before Jennifer Rizzotti joined Geno Auriemma’s coaching tree, she stood up to him). It's another of Geno's memorable comments, this one focused on Jen Rizzotti. As you know, Jen is currently coaching the women's bb team at George Washington and having (not surprisingly) some success. She says she took the job because it's close to CT, where her family resides. She didn't move to DC, which may be a harbinger for future coaching jobs (?).
The article is in praise of Jen because of her HOF career at UConn, her success at Hartford, and her experience with Geno as player and coach for the USA. The tenor of the piece is also positive about Geno; it shows he's not only smart but flexible. But we Husky fans know all of that . . .
Geno once made the comment about Shea - that he was surprised when she chose coaching (at Pitt and later at UCONN) - because she was so "smart." He said that students who maintain high grade point averages in the "hardest majors" (in Shea's case: Biomedical Engineering) usually don't go into coaching. He did, however, give kudos to her intensity and said that that quality made her both a good student and a good coach.

Reaction Score
Sorry to rag on you, huskyd, but It's NOT Woody Allen, it's George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman. Attributing a powerful insight to Woody Allen that belongs to GBS reminds me of Marx's (Karl, not Groucho) great line: "Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce." If Shaw is "tragedy", then Allen is certainly farce. Attributing this to Woody Allen is, indeed, a tragic displacement upward.
0b86c132dfcd22632a44d77f28f22c62.jpeg

Reaction Score
Geno once made the comment about Shea - that he was surprised when she chose coaching (at Pitt and later at UCONN) - because she was so "smart." He said that students who maintain high grade point averages in the "hardest majors" (in Shea's case: Biomedical Engineering) usually don't go into coaching. He did, however, give kudos to her intensity and said that that quality made her both a good student and a good coach.

Damn, I didn't know that Shea was a BioMed Engineering major and quite that high level of smart. She continually impresses me. We are very fortunate to have her here @ UCONN.

Reaction Score
She was not a BioMed Enginerring major. Instead majored in exercise physiology, which is not nearly as difficult.

Reaction Score
Sorry to rag on you, huskyd, but It's NOT Woody Allen, it's George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman. Attributing a powerful insight to Woody Allen that belongs to GBS reminds me of Marx's (Karl, not Groucho) great line: "Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce." If Shaw is "tragedy", then Allen is certainly farce. Attributing this to Woody Allen is, indeed, a tragic displacement upward.
View attachment 17833

Thanks for the info, bags. I heard Woody Allen speak these lines somewhere (movie?), and they are certainly evocative of his brand of humor. He failed to give attribution. Don't remember your correcting me; I'll try to next time. Anyway, interesting article.

Reaction Score
Sorry to rag on you, huskyd, but It's NOT Woody Allen, it's George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman. . . View attachment 17833

I doubt if GBS included the tag phrase, "those who can't teach, teach phys. ed.". That's what made it
a Woody Allen quote. (and a pretty funny one!)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Those that can do, those that can't, coach. Those that can't coach, become announcers. Those that can't announce become sideline reporters.

I am deeply offended. I'm sure you deeply care. :)

Reaction Score
She was not a BioMed Enginerring major. Instead majored in exercise physiology, which is not nearly as difficult.
Sorry for posting the wrong info re: Shea's major. I was recalling Geno's comments from the 2/17/16 SNY Geno Auriemma Show. I went back and listened to it again. What Geno says is a mishmash: Biomechanical
Sorry for posting the wrong info re: Shea's major. I was recalling from memory Geno's comments from the 2/17/16 SNY The Geno Auriemma Show. I went back and listened to it again. What Geno says is a mishmash: "Biomechanical Sports Science Engineering...Save the World from Everything." He mentions her 3.7 or 3.9 GPA and then Kerith adds: "You mean she had one of the hardest majors." and Geno agrees. In retrospect, what Geno said does sound a lot more like Exercise Physiology! Thanks for the correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom