Silver optimistic about WRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Camp preview: Wide Receivers

The take-home message:
The entire receiver unit has been overhauled immensely since last season and it’s going to get better as Paul Pasqualoni and DeLeone are committed to throwing the ball downfield with a pro-style offense. The Huskies aren’t going to turn into Oklahoma State or West Virginia this season, but I don’t think throwing will be as much of a chore as it has been in the past. Even incremental improvements in the passing game will help the Huskies’ offense immensely.

There is still a question about the quarterback, and I would be worried about the offensive line, but the wide receivers seem to be as strong as UConn has had in some time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Only one metric to judge UConn WR's: Dropped passes. Our guys drop too many balls and have dropped them since DanO. Even our best loved receivers have had too many bad drops. I know that some here try to put that on the QB's, but it just killed us when the QB would stick one right in there in a big spot and it would be dropped. If the WR's can catch consistently, we will have a great year. But I'll believe the improvement when I see it. I've read this story before.

Reaction Score
I agree on the dropped passes. We dropped far too many and with few exceptions never seemed to have that guy who regularly made great catches. It might be asking a lot, but I would sure like to have someone who can A. get open in key situations; B. catch balls that aren't perfect; and C. hang on when the ball is there.

Reaction Score
I agree on the dropped passes. We dropped far too many and with few exceptions never seemed to have that guy who regularly made great catches. It might be asking a lot, but I would sure like to have someone who can A. get open in key situations; B. catch balls that aren't perfect; and C. hang on when the ball is there.

Not as optimistic as most . . . at least until shown otherwise. But . . . the above take on the WR's seems to be on target.

Reaction Score
Only one metric to judge UConn WR's: Dropped passes. Our guys drop too many balls and have dropped them since DanO. Even our best loved receivers have had too many bad drops. I know that some here try to put that on the QB's, but it just killed us when the QB would stick one right in there in a big spot and it would be dropped. If the WR's can catch consistently, we will have a great year. But I'll believe the improvement when I see it. I've read this story before.

The drops are not what I put on the QB. All WRs drop balls even in the NFL. What has killed us
for years is that one dropped pass, when not on even on third down, brings an entire drive to a halt. I want a QB that shakes off a dropped pass, and bounces back the next play and throws another great pass. Rarely will you see dropped balls on back to back plays. I'm optimistic for the passing game this year.

Reaction Score
Our WRs killed us last season against Louisville. I have never seen a group of receivers at that level perform so horribly in a game. I think Nick Williams has been terrific for us, but from scrimmage that game he was beyond awful. IMoore was worse.

Reaction Score
The drops are not what I put on the QB. All WRs drop balls even in the NFL. What has killed us
for years is that one dropped pass, when not on even on third down, brings an entire drive to a halt. I want a QB that shakes off a dropped pass, and bounces back the next play and throws another great pass. Rarely will you see dropped balls on back to back plays. I'm optimistic for the passing game this year.

Maybe Oklahoma would still have won big, but I would love to have seen the game w/o drops-->deflections-->touchdowns.

Reaction Score
i would have loved to see our team with Marcus Easley against Oklahoma. Whenever the ball was near him he seemed to just go grab it and he played like he had stick-em on his hands. I had a confidence in our passing game at that time that felt great. I really hope he gets a healthy shot in Buffalo

on paper our WRs look as good and deep as ever but what we really need is one guy to step up and just catch everything that comes near him like Easley did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom