Sid Wilson (UConn Wants Him to Reclassify to '17) | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson (UConn Wants Him to Reclassify to '17)

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
He looks like a game changer, hope we stay on him.

Reaction Score
Is the consensus that he is under-ranked? I think he's in the 80's in 247's 2018 rankings

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How does he compare to Polley? Different talent level or skill set?
No idea but he seems bigger size wise and passer and Polley might be a better shooter. I have no idea but that's my feeling

Reaction Score
Man, this kid could pass as a DHam look a like - looks like a great athlete

I'm assuming you meant HamD?

If so, I agree. But more like HamD Light.

An explosive athlete in his own right, just a step below.

Is he really 6'6' 175? Sounds like Kerry Kittles.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
6-6, 175 with a 7-foot wingspan. He's not a real ball-handler or shooter, though, so I'd think of him as a smaller Stanley rather than a Kittles type.

Should we expect him to be in the class?
I think we're the favorites if he reclasses.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm assuming you meant HamD?

If so, I agree. But more like HamD Light.

An explosive athlete in his own right, just a step below.

No I meant DHam
Facially and his hair - not his play

Reaction Score
6-6, 175 with a 7-foot wingspan. He's not a real ball-handler or shooter, though, so I'd think of him as a smaller Stanley rather than a Kittles type.

I think we're the favorites if he reclasses.
And if he doesn't reclass?

Reaction Score
Some scouting reports I found. Appears he might have a good jump shot.

From Future150:
Skills Review:
  • Shooting: Good
  • Dribbling: Average
  • Passing: Good
  • Rebounding: Excellent
  • Intangibles: Good
Corey Evans/Hoopseen:
He has reworked his handles and become better in breaking his man down from off the bounce, hit on a number of tough mid-range jumpers, and was an elite producer whenever the game sped up. Wilson uses his quick twitch muscles, length, and athleticism to score at the basket and despite his somewhat skinny physique, the New Yorker has underrated toughness levels where he scored on a few conversions through contact off of his feet.

Fansided:
Wilson has some serious hops while also showing good speed in the open court. Oh, and he also has a solid jumper.

An evaluation from the cuse board:
Wilson was the tallest player on the court, but very skinny at around 6'7 175(tops). His stat line that I charted was 22pts, 7-13 fg, 3-6 3pt, 5-11 ft, 8blks, 2rbs, 2ast, 2stls, 1to. It was impressive considering that he had to sit out for the majority of the 2nd quarter because of foul trouble. Offensively he showed a nice quick release from deep and is capable of hitting perimeter shots with ease. Also had several nice drives to the hoop and must have had about three and-1 finishes.

Reaction Score
We must recruit some shooters. I don't understand why we are not going after the Rashard types.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
And if he doesn't reclass?
I think we'll be in the mix, but you know things can change drastically over the course of a year. Plus given Wilson's physical characteristics it's not out of the question that he attracts interest from the UNCs & Kansases of the world, if not necessarily the Dukes & UKs.

Plus, if he stays in 2018 we're pretty hot on the trail of a few other, higher-rated SFs.

Reaction Score
The one caveat to it all is that Wilson, if he wanted to, could make it work and reclass back into his original 2017 class. “Texas is the only program that has really said that they would take me for next year,” he said. “But I really want to make an impact and just be ready, that’s why I think staying in the 2018 class is best for me.”

Wilson to Corey Evans 11/21/16

Sidney Wilson becomes a player | HoopSeen

He will definitely need to be persuaded that he's ready for a reclass. I would love it though.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Relevant question: has he ever spoken to John Calipari on the phone or in an ominously lit back room behind a gym hosting an AAU game?

Reaction Score
Can he play this year?

In all seriousness, I think the hankering for a shooter is overstated. It would be nice, for sure, but it's not the screaming need that it's being billed as - Vance was a top shooter in his class, and in recent games, he's been that guy. At the very least, I think you can pencil him in next year as a guy who commands a lot of attention and can be installed as a deadly pop option (unlike D-Ham, he has the build of a primary screener) w/ Gilbert and Adams.

On that topic, Adams has emerged as a fairly reliable three point shooter this season. He's not Shabazz, but you have to guard him, and you can envision a scenario in which he and Jackson work off the ball with Gilbert at the point, ala Kemba and Lamb in '11.

With an entire calendar year of reps in the gym, I bet Gilbert shows up to camp a much improved shooter. Vital is showing signs of warming up (maybe not showing on the stat sheet yet, but he's not bricking them like they were earlier), and if memory serves, he was a decent shooter in high school who, by his sophomore year, could vault into 40% territory. It takes guys a while to adjust to the pace of D-1 ball - the fact that he and Jackson have struggled shooting doesn't surprise me at all.

Then there is Larrier, who, by next season, will be three years removed from his 26% season at VCU. We also don't know who else might be added from the grad market.

Long story short, a slashing type who can platoon with somebody else at the wing alongside Adams & Gilbert wouldn't be the worst thing. Offense is not by concern regarding next season. Our biggest challenge will be replacing Brimah's defense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have not heard anything about him reclassifying back into 2017, but there's a kid out of Albany named Hameir Wright who is taking a post-grad year at Brewster next season - he should be top 25 in 2018. He's top-60-ish in 2017.

UConn's has recruited him, so he's definitely a name to remember next year, but perhaps he's a longshot for 2017. (In either year, I think Syracuse and perhaps Nova will be tough to beat.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom