Sicario | The Boneyard

Sicario

Reaction Score
Can't think of a better movie I have seen this year. Totally hoping for a sequel. My only beef is that Emily Blunt seems to frail to be in that line of work. She should have hit the weights a little more for that role. Benicio Del Toro is exceptional, and Josh Brolin is either getting some really awesome roles. Or he is just good at what he does.

Reaction Score
Good movie, expected a little more. Perfect role for Benicio, he's excellent in most anything he plays in. Josh was solid but agree on getting Diane Lane, love her!

Emily Blunt nice job too. I expect there is lot more of that type of "ghost" play out there than we can imagine.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good movie, expected a little more. Perfect role for Benicio, he's excellent in most anything he plays in. Josh was solid but agree on getting Diane Lane, love her!

Emily Blunt nice job too. I expect there is lot more of that type of "ghost" play out there than we can imagine.

Good, not great. Really nice cinematography. Great job by Benicio. And actually, Brolin killed it; I suspect this is much like his actual personality which would have helped.

I thought the writing of the dialogue and some character interaction was stupid as hell. Blunt's sense of honor was a little to overdone for me. For instance, the 'signing of the affidavit' scene was absurd. With someone pointing a gun in your face, especially an off-the-rail killer like Del Toro, you'd sign that thing without any reservations whatsoever. There'd be ZERO internal struggle. I don't see that as a reality anywhere. It's not like she was signing over someone's life and condemning them to death. Her naivete RE what goes on for these types of jobs was silly as well.

I thought Blunt, though she can act, was wrong for the role. She just doesn't sell it athletically/physically as a female. You need someone more Jennifer Garner-esque physically. Acting-wise, she was good, despite the poor writing of her character mentioned above.

Reaction Score
Good, not great. Really nice cinematography. Great job by Benicio. And actually, Brolin killed it; I suspect this is much like his actual personality which would have helped.

I thought the writing of the dialogue and some character interaction was stupid as hell. Blunt's sense of honor was a little to overdone for me. For instance, the 'signing of the affidavit' scene was absurd. With someone pointing a gun in your face, especially an off-the-rail killer like Del Toro, you'd sign that thing without any reservations whatsoever. There'd be ZERO internal struggle. I don't see that as a reality anywhere. It's not like she was signing over someone's life and condemning them to death. Her naivete RE what goes on for these types of jobs was silly as well.

I thought Blunt, though she can act, was wrong for the role. She just doesn't sell it athletically/physically as a female. You need someone more Jennifer Garner-esque physically. Acting-wise, she was good, despite the poor writing of her character mentioned above.

I agree on Blunt, she didn't have the physicality for that role but she acted OK.

I watched it again over the holidays. A few technical nitpicks that weren't a big deal because most civilians would never pick up on....Delta Force wearing shemaghs in Mexico. Those don't even blend in in Afghanistan. In the tunnel raid, you could tell none of the Operators had plates in their plate carriers. Still a good scene.

Great one liners: "You're asking me how a watch works, for now let's just worry about what time it is". And the line about how catching the kingpin would be liking finding a cure for a disease.

Reaction Score
Liked it but thought it could have been a lot better. Watched it with a buddy of mine from Mexico he says the movie is very accurate about how things work. Said in Juarez you always hear gun shots and fireworks going off and it's all related to the drug trade/cartels

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Finally saw it. The movie was awesome. I don't get the criticism of Blunt. She was supposed to be vulnerable and unsure of herself, and she wasn't the smartest person. That is why Brolin's character chose her. She was a from the start, but she also had a moral foundation lacking in the other characters. The corollary to Blunt's character was Silvio, who was also just a soldier, but didn't have the moral courage that Blunt did.

Reaction Score
Finally saw it. The movie was awesome. I don't get the criticism of Blunt. She was supposed to be vulnerable and unsure of herself, and she wasn't the smartest person. That is why Brolin's character chose her. She was a from the start, but she also had a moral foundation lacking in the other characters. The corollary to Blunt's character was Silvio, who was also just a soldier, but didn't have the moral courage that Blunt did.

The problem is that tactical doorkickers typically aren't vulnerable and or unsure of themselves. Plus we had to watch her cry for two hours. Hopefully she won't be in the sequel.

The other characters had moral foundations. They just don't have naïve ones.

Reaction Score

Good analysis. That's one reason I liked the movie - thought the casting worked well, although I wasn't sure until I watched it the second time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The problem is that tactical doorkickers typically aren't vulnerable and or unsure of themselves. Plus we had to watch her cry for two hours. Hopefully she won't be in the sequel.

So a local Arizona SWAT member is the same as a top level CIA operative. In my world, that is like saying a loan officer at Webster Bank knows as much about finance as the head trader at a top hedge fund.

Reaction Score
So a local Arizona SWAT member is the same as a top level CIA operative. In my world, that is like saying a loan officer at Webster Bank knows as much about finance as the head trader at a top hedge fund.

Yeah they are. Operators at all levels are pretty buff these days. FBI HRT people aren't exactly amateurs. All that gear weighs you down. Often times in close quarters stuff you need the strength. She needed to do some crossfit or something to look more authentic. I love the movie, but her character was the weak link. I just can't believe that someone at her level would be so sheltered that she would react like that, even after her bosses told her that the operation was greenlighted from the highest levels.

But all in all, it's a great flick and I can't wait for the sequel.

Reaction Score
Saw this recently and thought it was great. Very surprised to learn that the actor who played Deputy Chief Hale on Sons of Anarchy, Taylor Sheridan, wrote it. He wrote another movie, Hell or High Water, that scored 98% on Rotten Tomatoes and 88 on Metacritic - gonna have to check that one out too.

Saw this on reddit today. Sheridan decided not to include Blunt in the sequel. Here's his reasoning:

'Soldado' Screenwriter on Why Emily Blunt Won't be in 'Sicario' Sequel

“That was my decision, and at some point I’m going to have to talk to her about it,” Sheridan said in a recent interview for TheWrap Magazine. “Her arc was complete … I couldn’t figure out a way to write a character that would do her talent justice.”

He added, “Look what she went through. It was a difficult role. Here I write this lead character and then I use her as a surrogate for the audience. I make her completely passive against her own will so the audience feels the same impotence that a lot of law enforcement officers feel, I drag her through hell, and betray her in the end. It was an arduous journey for the character, and for Emily. That character had arc,” Sheridan said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom