Show us a REAL schedule .. Grow the program | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Show us a REAL schedule .. Grow the program

• Thread starter fortebleedsblue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Where is 3-2 with a loss to Western Michigan getting you?

Hype, warranted or not, gets fans in the seats.

Reaction Score
It doesn't make for great bulletin board fights, but you need balance. You are trying to schedule some games that you know you are likely to win, and some that you may be likely to lose to play against "names." And, if you're RU, sometimes you get lucky and get a "name" school that actually isn't any good.

Reaction Score
I like this perspective. "The program has gone stale, like an old dusted has been that will never be". Well put. . . and an accurate description of the state of affairs since Randy left after the Fiesta Bowl. When we were all saying Randy had build up the program from infancy and maybe had plateau'd. Don't think anyone had in mind, HCPP plateauing the program at a lower level. Shenkman may have seen the handwriting on the wall, too bad we didn't listen.

I think it was Burton.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
mac(+rival)-umass. that will get us 40k plus in the future every year.

mac/warmup- could be a mac team or a fcs or a cusa etc...no buffalo. i would be thrilled with army. they have died off but its about filling stadiums for this type of game. i can see sellouts in a expanded rent with army. you could become real friendly considering how close the school are and give them a huge student section type thing. maybe 5-10k tix and bus the kids to the rent for the day. mkae it a real set up thing and tailgates openly invite kids to join and so on. could be a home run for uconn if done right. good media from it, u get your win, exposure from the army brand etc...

bcs game-michigan/tenn etc...

acc bcs game- md/ncst/uva etc...

n site game/bcs game/something wacky-if needed...

Reaction Score
The other thing is that "name" teams actually covers a multitude of things. Sure there are the big names, Ohio State, michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, etc. But it also applies to a bunch of teams which are usually between mediocre and pretty good but which you don't play that often or don't appear that often in this part of the world. If we played Mississippi, for example, There would be some buzz, even if ol Miss isn't that good. they are "exotic" and from the SEC. I suspect Iowa or Michigan State or even K-State or someone would have the same feeling. To some extent the ACC doesn't generate the same excitement, in part I think because we play them so often.

Reaction Score
Some of you seem to forget that it takes two schools to make a scheduling arrangement. It's easy to say we should schedule Ole Miss and Iowa, but Ole Miss gets 3 OOC games. They're playing Central Arkansas, and UTEP, both of who I doubt are getting return games unless it's a 2-1 or greater, and Texas. Where do we fit in there? BCS schools have very few OOC games and we're the worst kind of opponent for them. They look at us the way we look at WMU:no big deal if you win and you're damned if you lose. Is there anyone on this board that doesn't think we're trying to schedule the best opponents we can? Obviously Hathaway blew it on some idiotic series' (Buffalo for 10 games), but complaining about that is a waste of time, even by internet standards.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You need to be in a bowl game every year, so the schedule needs to reflect that. Problem is that the NNBE already has a bunch of MAC level teams. No need to schedule more than two every year.

Going forward, if are not good enough to win 4 conf games in down years it means something has to change.

2-3 AQ teams OOC, at least one at the rent. Dumb down one of them (BC or Cuse) if you have to. :p

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I am all for 3-1, 2-1 or meadowlands. We are still growing our brand.... PERIOD. Which do you think gains more recognition/exposure for uconn football both nationally and locally.. Uconn vs Buffalo on sny at rent or an out of state game vs ND, Ohio State, Texas on ESPN? Now imagine we win both ... (knowing that none of those teams ever stood foot inside ct) which of buffalo (instate) or Texas is going to pack the rent next game with unpresidented buzz? Beggars can't be choosers.

I'm with you. Most of the BY wouldn't go for any of that. I'm for the go anywhere / play anybody thing. That's how Boise built a brand.

I'm with both of you on scheduling "eye candy"... the only issue comes is taking the L's while doing so. Sure, we might steal a few becasue we have no crystal ball to determine how good/how bad someone will be 3-5 years down the road (or longer). We schedule above our heads (which I'm not opposed to @ all) - someone needs to deal with all the whiners that our record isn't 9-3 each year.

Reaction Score
The other thing is that "name" teams actually covers a multitude of things. Sure there are the big names, Ohio State, michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, etc. But it also applies to a bunch of teams which are usually between mediocre and pretty good but which you don't play that often or don't appear that often in this part of the world. If we played Mississippi, for example, There would be some buzz, even if ol Miss isn't that good. they are "exotic" and from the SEC. I suspect Iowa or Michigan State or even K-State or someone would have the same feeling. To some extent the ACC doesn't generate the same excitement, in part I think because we play them so often.

But this is the problem with NC State. That is a big game to people like us (a "good" ACC team). But that doesn't put fannies in the seats. None of the people we are trying to capture the imagination of have ever once turned on the TV to watch an NC State game. There aren't that many "marquis" names and we will have to give away the farm to get a series with them. I'm still for it until we build a name. But it isn't like you can just stamp your feet and schedule what you want. And let's face it - I'm really glad they gave the job to KO, but he will have to prove that he can carry the torch before we know we have a MBB program to trade on as well.

Reaction Score
I would schedule one of UMass or Army every year. The rest of the OOC schedule needs to be BCS teams and hopefully 1 marquis opponent like Michigan and Tennessee. There are plenty of MAC and CUSA level opponents within the Big East (sadly we ourselves might be on that level).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think the fanbase would be pleased/satisfied with the below:

1 -MAC ( just for the love of god, no more Buffalo once this current contract is finished )
4 - Big East home games
1 or 2 - of the teams below depending on availability

ACC: BC, Cuse, Pitt, Maryland, UNC, NC State, Wake, Duke, Virginia, Georgia Tech
B1G: Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, Minnesota
Big12: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor
SEC: Vanderbilt

Sprinkle in some big names like we're doing with Michigan, Tennessee, etc. and I think that's more than reasonable.

I don't know if this is reasonable or feasible at all, but maybe someone who pays more attention to the schedule could shed some light on to the situation?

MAC - UMass
Big12-H Kansas
B1G -H Illinois / Wake Forest A
BE - H SMU / Memphis A
BE - H Central Florida / USF A
BE - H Navy / San Diego State A
BE - H Louisville / Rutgers A

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
ZOMG - Wake forest to the B1G! You heard it here (from ConnHuskBask) first! When will MHver3 tweet it!?!?

Reaction Score
It's going good.

But we're 4-0 with a weak schedule and getting hype.

You're 3-2 with a weak schedule and getting none.

That's the point. Win and hype and excitement come. Lose and it goes away. Not trying to
be a d*ck, just telling you the truth. Sorry that it's a harsh truth, but find someone who
would disagree with me here. If you were 5-0 would any of this scheduling talk or firing your
coach talk be happening? Probably not.

How dare you come on to our board and actually makes sense! Go back to NJ u troll!!!!!

Reaction Score
You know it's bad around here when RU fans are getting likes. You should be embarrassed.

Rutgers fans suck and they put the delu in delusion.

Trophy case...just sayin'

Reaction Score
I'm quite sure our AD is doing the best he can.......I'm confident his name will open more doors than Hathaway.

I'm not to concerned about the L's that may occur......but there is a positive.......possible recuits may take notice of "heavy hitters" on the schedule.......and maybe we'll start to pull in more recruits that have multiple BCS offers.

Ward is probably doing plenty of the knocking.......my fear is some of the better teams fans do not want to play UConn.......its similar to us not wanting to play MAC or CUSA teams......no buzz.

Reaction Score
Some of you seem to forget that it takes two schools to make a scheduling arrangement. It's easy to say we should schedule Ole Miss and Iowa, but Ole Miss gets 3 OOC games. They're playing Central Arkansas, and UTEP, both of who I doubt are getting return games unless it's a 2-1 or greater, and Texas. Where do we fit in there? BCS schools have very few OOC games and we're the worst kind of opponent for them. They look at us the way we look at WMU:no big deal if you win and you're damned if you lose. Is there anyone on this board that doesn't think we're trying to schedule the best opponents we can? Obviously Hathaway blew it on some idiotic series' (Buffalo for 10 games), but complaining about that is a waste of time, even by internet standards.
I'm not suggesting we necessarily schedule Ole Miss. Just that the number of schools that would generate some interest and the reasons for that interest is wider than just the usual suspects. I think if you get a series with another SEC school, it doesn't have to be Alabama, or with a Big 10 one, and Ohio State and Michigan are booked, you can still still get teams that will generate a decent level of interest. I mean, there was way more buzz about Iowa State last year than NC State this year. K=State has been good for a fairly long time. They wouldn't be Texas, perhaps, but they'd be interesting and would generate some buzz. More than a run of the mill ACC team...Sometimes it is because the team is good, sometimes its because they have a history and sometimes it is the Kevin Bacon effect...to use OLe Miss again, they play alabama and LSU so by playing them we are getting close to those teams...

Reaction Score
This is the way to go. Wouldn't exclude ACC teams though. Better than Buffalo & WMU. Way better.

Reaction Score
Not suggesting
This is the way to go. Wouldn't exclude ACC teams though. Better than Buffalo & WMU. Way better.
I wouldn't exclude ACC teams either. I just want to mix it up. I have no problem with including ACC teams in that mix. Just beware that some of them won't bring the same juice that a comparable team from another league will bring. And if we never play Buffalo again it will be too soon...

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It's going good.

But we're 4-0 with a weak schedule and getting hype.

You're 3-2 with a weak schedule and getting none.

That's the point. Win and hype and excitement come. Lose and it goes away. Not trying to be a d*ck, just telling you the truth. Sorry that it's a harsh truth, but find someone who would disagree with me here. If you were 5-0 would any of this scheduling talk or firing your coach talk be happening? Probably not.

I have now seen it all. A Rutgers fan explaining to UConn fans how to generate 'hype.'

Reaction Score
What a silly original post. You grow the program and create buzz by winning games and making bowls.

Yeah let's upgrade the non conference schedule baby! We have a head coach who can't beat Vanderbilt, Iowa State, NC State, and Western Michigan 2 times and we have people whining we need an even tougher schedule.

How about we win the games on our schedule? All those games mentioned above were winnable and we lost them all.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has always been about the sizzle, but they have never been about the steak.

Reaction Score
Our trophy case has some steak in it... Rutgers has like a century and a half of football and still nothing to show for it.

This is why I Hate-Respect Syracuse and why I just kind of Hate-Disregard Rutgers. They've never done anything, they run around, make a bunch of noise and don't produce anything. A bunch of showboats with a nice facade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom