Should we play UMass home and home? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should we play UMass home and home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We should always playe Buffalo. We started the 1-A journey around the same time. We played each other before, during and after the transition. Have we played any other team more often as a D-1? We played each other in a bowl game. We're both in mid-major conferences. We're kindred spirits.

"We're both in mid-major conferences. We're kindred spirits. "

Please, please tell me you meant that sarcastically.
My biggest concern is the program becoming a product of the conference. That will happen if steps aren't taken which show the nation that UCONN understands its dilemma and is willing to, again, prove itself by scheduling and even beating the best available competition. No worthless, respect sapping whining, complaining or petty sniping. Play and beat the "big boys" and then positively promote the hell out of the accomplishment. Don't allow others to define UCONN football.

Reaction Score
Let's play em' and show em' who's boss. Could be a fun rivalry and a more interesting winnable game than whatever FCS cupcake me might otherwise have.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yes, if it replaces the annual Aug 30/Sept 1 cupcake we get on our home schedule. We're not BCU and afraid of other programs.

Reaction Score
Playing and getting exposure in Gillette Stadium has some value. UConn, over time could parlay that into a second home for UConn football to attract the likes of Ohio St & Notre Dame, not to mention the upper echelon SEC teams. UMass is a natural rival and has been a rival for a very long time. That is a season opening game that should be played every year untill UMass can make it a knock down drag out fight and then that game needs to be moved to as close to Thanksgiving as possible. I see the AAC improving in quality over the years but the only one near us is Temple and as that could turn into a great rivalry it's going to need a few epic clashes to develop .UConn fans can use a break on their wallets with another road game they can drive to and be back in time for supper from every other year. Embarrass UMass into improving their program, that'll shove the D-1 naysayers up there to the background.

The only way UConn should be playing Villanova is as a package deal with basketball games scheduled. Not sure if that is the plan or not(work has been brutal lately and haven't been able to research it) but Villanova is one of the reasons the Big East died and I just can't see why UConn should extend a hand to any of the C-7 unless it benefits us times 10 more than it benefits them. UConn might be in the AAC basketball conference but the C-7 are only spiraling downward as athletic programs and the AAC will quickly overtake the C-7 with Big Dance invites.

Reaction Score
We should always playe Buffalo. We started the 1-A journey around the same time. We played each other before, during and after the transition. Have we played any other team more often as a D-1? We played each other in a bowl game. We're both in mid-major conferences. We're kindred spirits.
That makes no sense. However, we'll probably continue to play them because Warde wants to throw his old buddies a bone.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
2 for 1, would do it in a heartbeat. 1 for 1, UConn should probably get some concessions in order to make that happen. We'd easily get 10k up to Foxboro and really should get 15k+. What better advertisement to potential conferences than seeing UConn selling X number of tickets in Boston for a football game? UConn would need to sell this to the fans. Buses from the Rent to Gillette. Student buses from Storrs - day trips and options for overnights in Boston. I believe there are 20k alum in the Boston area and plenty of CT transplants.

Reaction Score
this will probably go over on a lead balloon on this board but if the guy who owns Gillette Stadium can broker a deal where UConn plays BC at Gillette with some kind of UMass tie-in I could go for that.

Reaction Score
I like the idea. Getting exposure in the Boston/NE media is very difficult--see NECN ignoring our extraordinary representation at Senior Bowl and NFL Draft. The games would need some build-up but the onus would be on us to play the role of Michigan coming to The Rent. We need to have a large and vocal presence at Gillette.
BTW--all this talk about "they're not worthy of us playing them" sounds like what those big boy school's chat rooms say about us.

Reaction Score
While I've mellowed some on UConn playing an occasional home game Either in the Meadowlands or at the Razor, I have some major concerns. First, UConn MUST have control of ticket sales so that Husky fans get first preference on available tickets. There can be no giving 50% of the tickets to the opposition for sales to their alumni such that the event becomes a de facto home game for the visitors. My second concern would be about which schools will be available in the future to schedule with the "Fab 5" conferences talking up the idea of playing 9 games in conference. If this occurs, & they schedule a 1-AA cupcake for an extra home game, that leaves only 2 games for OOC games. I'll wager that they will schedule among themselves & shut out non-5 teams unless it's a "rivalry" game such as WVa vs. Marshall that was forced on WVa. by their Governor.

Reaction Score
While I've mellowed some on UConn playing an occasional home game Either in the Meadowlands or at the Razor, I have some major concerns. First, UConn MUST have control of ticket sales so that Husky fans get first preference on available tickets. There can be no giving 50% of the tickets to the opposition for sales to their alumni such that the event becomes a de facto home game for the visitors. My second concern would be about which schools will be available in the future to schedule with the "Fab 5" conferences talking up the idea of playing 9 games in conference. If this occurs, & they schedule a 1-AA cupcake for an extra home game, that leaves only 2 games for OOC games. I'll wager that they will schedule among themselves & shut out non-5 teams unless it's a "rivalry" game such as WVa vs. Marshall that was forced on WVa. by their Governor.

I thought that many of the "Fab 5", as you call them, were talking about eliminating 1AA games. With the new format strength of schedule becomes a big deal and they do not want that weakened by 1AA games.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
this will probably go over on a lead balloon on this board but if the guy who owns Gillette Stadium can broker a deal where UConn plays BC at Gillette with some kind of UMass tie-in I could go for that.

UConn / BC at Gillette every year. Split the gate. Done.

Reaction Score
Yes, if it replaces the annual Aug 30/Sept 1 cupcake we get on our home schedule. We're not BCU and afraid of other programs.

I mean...they were that game last year.

Reaction Score
The idea of scheduling OOC teams from the "fab five" is GGGRRREEEAAATTT !!!!!

My concern is we may want established teams on our schedule, but will they want us on theirs.

They are looking at OOC strength and playoff games. I would think USC (or other well established program) fans would scream if they was UConn on their OOC schedule.......just as we scream when we see "Buffalo" ( and now Villanova and Stoneybrook......are you kidding me?) on our schedule/

I don't care if we are fortunate enough to get those teams they are all away games and we get smashed. How do you build a program......keep beating the 1-aa's and the bottom feeders of the other mid-majors and say to potential recuits...."Look at our record.......we are good"

Or do we say (if we're lucky enough) we have up coming schedules against USC, Texas, Florida State, LSU etc.........storied programs at storied venues......don't you think that should entice some interest from more skilled athletes? The good news is those games would be on TV, and would attract more New England /NY eyeballs than the weak OOC schedules we've had to make it look good on the record.

Our biggest problem is our idiot legislature made it impossible to have a home game at Foxboro and/or the Meadowlands. I can think about one Dirty Harry quote when I burn over thinking about that infantile legislation!

So, lets get the mid-major champs (not the bottom feeders) at the Rent if we can't get the Fab Five at home.......would be good games against fairly decent teams........why do you think UConn has avoided them so far? Because they're better than Western Michigan !!!!!!????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom