Should we play Tennessee, or not? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Should we play Tennessee, or not?

Do you want to us to play Tenn play in a regular season game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone trying to attribute "Geno knows" to Alzheimer's is full of baloney. Baloney that was digested and excreted by a male bovine.

Reaction Score
Somebody's gotta be. :cool: We got all these wussy "fans" around here, willing to sell their souls for a competitive (LOL) game.
I admire anyone who is happy in their skin, know their mind, and believe in what they are doing. I don't think Strict describes you--because you hold strong convictions--you hold these beliefs to be self evident (I think I read that somewhere).

Reaction Score
Geez, I thought you were smarter than that. :rolleyes:

Pat's problems has nothing to do with my dislike (hate) of all things TN (University).

Oh there was a lot more than that. Read through some of these threads. And it wasn't just about Maya and her mother.

Sometimes you have to step up and be counted.
I beg forgiveness---I was making statements about Pats Condition/ and people I knew. The only one that could in a stretch be applied to you is Never say Never--it applies to us all. I apologize if in any way it appeared I was directing those comment towards you. Sorry!!!
I have always couched my remarks about Pats Condition by saying something along the lines of --did UT or the SEC have Dementia--they forwarded the complaints, supposedly read them.
Again if it appeared I directed anything other than Never say Never--I am sorry.
I guess I'll never know what was said about Maya and her mother--maybe better that way.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
any links to the "37 pages" so that the newbies can be all caught up with the Boneyard and its recent history?
I actually thought it would be easier find this. Here's a link to detailed ESPN story but I didn't see the actual complaint, though I remember reading it at the time. It would be good for posters who never read it to see. As we know now, the only negative finding from the complaint was that an administrative staffer called ESPN for Maya to get the times for a publically available tour. Since they wouldn't have called for regular student it resulted in a secondary violation, which is pretty much the NCAAs way of saying that the error was benign, just don't kepp doing it.

As to the alleged "hostess" allegations, one consisted of Diana Taurasi offering some fries she was eating to recruit and another alleged that she and and Sue Bird gave Moore a ride to awards dinner. They were both playing in Russia at the time.

Here is DiMauro take which was taken from a post on the old Summitt Vol fan board:

PAT SUMMITT'S REFUSAL TO explain her unilateral decision to end the UConn-Tennessee women's basketball rivalry has prompted many fans and media members to ponder rumor and conjecture as to her reasons.

It has been suggested, for example, that UConn coach Geno Auriemma has engaged in recruiting improprieties, although no specific examples have come forth.

Until now.

Sources at the NCAA, Big East and at UConn have confirmed two primary complaints Summitt lodged with the Southeastern Conference, which have been forwarded to the NCAA:

Complaint No. 1: Former UConn greats Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi allegedly drove recruit Maya Moore to pick up her Naismith Award in Atlanta when Moore was named the nation's top high school player in 2006.

Complaint No. 2: The family of Elena Delle Donne, another highly touted recruit, kept a sign from a UConn fan during the preseason “Supershow” two seasons ago.

Here is what really happened:

Moore, who has since committed to UConn, received the Naismith Award in Atlanta on April 7, 2006 — three days after the national championship game in Boston.

Bird, who has heard the same rumor about her alleged car ride with Taurasi, said she and Taurasi were nowhere near Atlanta at the time. They returned to Moscow to play for Dynamo Moscow, their European team, the day after the national championship game.

“I laughed at it,” Bird said Thursday in a telephone conversation from Minneapolis, where the Storm play the Lynx tonight. “'D' and I came for the Final Four and left the next day. We were on a flight back to Russia to play. We have box scores to prove it.”

The playoffs in the Russian League in which Dynamo Moscow participated that season were played in early April.

Bird also chuckled at Summitt's claim that it's more than coincidence that former UConn players always end up on campus when recruits are visiting.

“I can also speak for Diana on this,” Bird said. “We're very busy. Look, I love Connecticut and I want them to do well. But the last thing we want to do is run into recruits. We have very hectic schedules. A lot of us play in Europe. I barely have time to visit my mom.”

Then Bird paused and said, “And to be honest, that's a lot more important to me than going back to campus.”

The NCAA, meanwhile, barely considered the complaint about the sign given to the Delle Donnes.

“If reporters write in newspapers that recruits are coming to campus and a fan reads that and makes a sign, that's not something that can be policed,” a source at the NCAA said. “We generally don't like the idea of that happening and wouldn't encourage it, but how could you penalize a program because of its popularity?”

So there you have some facts.

And now you know why Summitt isn't talking.

What is there to say?

Her complaint about Bird and Taurasi is a lie.

Her complaint about a sign is beyond petty.

Auriemma, contacted with this information, wouldn't comment, although he is not happy that the UConn-Tennessee rivalry is over.

And it is over not because anybody else on the Tennessee campus wanted it to end. The president of the university, Dr. John D. Petersen, spent 2000 to 2004 as UConn's Chancellor and Provost for University Affairs and was a professor of chemistry.

Do you think he wanted it to end?

How about others in the athletic department, pondering the 25,000 fans who would have attended this year's game?

How about CBS or ESPN?

The UConn-Tennessee rivalry has ended because Auriemma got Maya Moore.

The UConn-Tennessee rivalry has ended because Auriemma has some cachet, a 13-9 record against Tennessee and just might get Delle Donne, too.

And Pat Summitt can't stand it.

Period.

You'll never read this from any national columnists who cover women's basketball because they're all afraid of offending Nurse Ratched.

UConn just learned the penalty for doing so:

You get smeared with recruiting indiscretions without the courtesy of an explanation.

Summitt is too selfish to understand that UConn and Tennessee are good for each other, the way every good story needs a hero and a villain. If you're from Connecticut, the villains wear orange. If you're from Knoxville, the villain is a neatly coifed Italian.

Funny, though, how CBS and ESPN liked women's basketball a whole lot more when they had a protagonist and an antagonist.

Now they have nothing.

And it's Summitt's fault.

For reasons that are equal parts flimsy and petty.

This is the opinion of Day assistant sports editor Mike DiMauro. He may be reached at m.dimauro@theday.com or 701-4391.​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You should know this one, you're in it. ;) (only 34 pages, by the way)

http://web.knoxnews.com/pdf/042608ut_sec2.pdf
Meyers7---I just read, for the first time ever, the Knoxnews.com of UT's submission of "complaints". To me it reads like a series of stories/articles/blogs that only prove what a great school Uconn would be for any recruit. \
What I read is beyond petty, I'm not much of a hater I'm the kind you must do something to me directly to hate you, but this defecation and allegations and things they (UT) charged ithout real facts---i.,e. Sue and DT were acting as recruiters--really?? Also, Uconn players are regularly used in Uconn practices --don't these "star" WNBA and European stars have any games or practices (for the teams they are paid to play for) have any place the need to be other than Uconn??
It occurred to me that Holly and UT must have a Violation written for the Super Show of this past year with all the Uconn players being there with big fan fare??? Shame on Uconn --I think I saw a recruit or two in the crowd??? I just don't have the time to read through every page --do you think the NCAA did??
Thanks Meyers--and Cocodaddy for the visual and intellectual explanations.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Anyone trying to attribute "Geno knows" to Alzheimer's is full of baloney. Baloney that was digested and excreted by a male bovine.

It starts with an A, but it's Arrogance.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Reading this particular thread is hilarious and very enlightening. I'm not a UConn WBB Fan, but I am a fan of excellence and artistry in athletics, which is why I watch the Huskies. I never really understood why the rest of the world hates UConn Fans until now. You guys are sitting on this Board, after another 3-peat, whining about playing a school that hasn't been relevant in WCBB in 1o years. You remind me of the nerd in High School that becomes a dot.com billionaire, but is still jealous of the HS QB, who winds up working at the local Ford Plant. UConn is singularly acknowledged as the best team in WCBB by a wide margin, why is a game against TN which isn't even the best team in its own conference so important? Would it give UConn some kind of validation it doesn't already have? Does Geno need the game for his legacy? There is no player on the current roster who even remembers the last time UConn and UT actually played in a meaningful game. Pat Summitt is retired and suffering from Alzheimer's, Maya Moore is starring in the WNBA and around the world, Geno is collecting NC's like bubble gum cards and you fans are still clamoring for a game that would mean absolutely nothing, even if you win. UT/Uconn was never really a rivalry in the traditional sense, i.e. tOSU/TSUN, USC/UCLA, Duke/Carolina, or Alabama/Auburn, it was always that UConn aspired to be where UT was, and now they've surpassed anything UT ever dreamed of doing with no signs of slowing down any time soon. So what is the obsession with playing UT? I really don't get it, I used to think that Duke Fans were the the worst. I'm going to have to seriously rethink that premise.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Reading this particular thread is hilarious and very enlightening. I'm not a UConn WBB Fan, but I am a fan of excellence and artistry in athletics, which is why I watch the Huskies. I never really understood why the rest of the world hates UConn Fans until now. You guys are sitting on this Board, after another 3-peat, whining about playing a school that hasn't been relevant in WCBB in 1o years. You remind me of the nerd in High School that becomes a dot.com billionaire, but is still jealous of the HS QB, who winds up working at the local Ford Plant. UConn is singularly acknowledged as the best team in WCBB by a wide margin, why is a game against TN which isn't even the best team in its own conference so important? Would it give UConn some kind of validation it doesn't already have? Does Geno need the game for his legacy? There is no player on the current roster who even remembers the last time UConn and UT actually played in a meaningful game. Pat Summitt is retired and suffering from Alzheimer's, Maya Moore is starring in the WNBA and around the world, Geno is collecting NC's like bubble gum cards and you fans are still clamoring for a game that would mean absolutely nothing, even if you win. UT/Uconn was never really a rivalry in the traditional sense, i.e. tOSU/TSUN, USC/UCLA, Duke/Carolina, or Alabama/Auburn, it was always that UConn aspired to be where UT was, and now they've surpassed anything UT ever dreamed of doing with no signs of slowing down any time soon. So what is the obsession with playing UT? I really don't get it, I used to think that Duke Fans were the the worst. I'm going to have to seriously rethink that premise.
Maybe you missed it, but the majority don't want the game.

Reaction Score
Well since you're not a "fan" of either team, I don't expect you to understand where some of these UCONN fans are coming from. And you couldnt have been serious when you stated
"UT/UCONN wasnt a rivalry in a traditional sense" ....back in the day UT and UCONN were THE rilvary for Women's College Basketball.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Maybe you missed it, but the majority don't want the game.
I didn't miss it, why is there even a continuing conversation about it?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

You are right; you don't get it.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Well since you're not a "fan" of either team, I don't expect you to understand where some of these UCONN fans are coming from. And you couldnt have been serious when you stated
"UT/UCONN wasnt a rivalry in a traditional sense" ....back in the day UT and UCONN were THE rilvary for Women's College Basketball.
Real rivalries endure, not just back in the day, they aren't just relevant when one or the other team is prominent. tOSU/TSUN is a rivalry. It doesn't matter whether its FB, BB, or tiddleewinks, we hate them and they hate us. I'll root for anyone to beat them, I never want to see them win at anything. I try not to even go to that state for anything. Rivalries aren't just when its convenient, they're all the time.

Reaction Score
Thread keeps going on because there is still so much emotion attached after all these years..... but the game is not happening....

JS

Reaction Score
I never really understood why the rest of the world hates UConn Fans until now. * * * I used to think that Duke Fans were the the worst. I'm going to have to seriously rethink that premise.
I used to think I knew the most condescending person on the board.

I'm going to have to seriously rethink that premise.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thank you for your interest in Connecticut Woman's Basketball.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tenn killed the rivalry. Its dead and you can resurrect the dead. What Tenn did was not palpable. They were animals who destroyed all the good that the Tenn/UConn rivalry brought to WCBB. Its dead Tenn killed it.

The Greatest Rivalries in WCB today are UConn/Stanford, Duke, Lousiville ND and a bunch of others. Tenn is no longer in the mix because they killed the UConn Tenn rivalry. Its dead. You can pray for it but it will never live again.

Reaction Score
I used to think I knew the most condescending person on the board.

I'm going to have to seriously rethink that premise.

No names, just initials please.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Dawson said:
Until they get relevant to WCBB again then I would say No. There's no point in playing some mid-level team when every OOC game is so important.

Excuse me, but this is the most absurd post in this very long thread. In the eight years since the mutual boycott began, Tennessee has never been less than a Top 20 team, and it has typically been Top 10. Next year there is a reasonable chance that it will be Top 5.

UConn has been devoting OOC slots to such WCBB luminaries as Creighton and UC Davis because so many better teams will not step up to the plate. Next year UConn will play Colgate with one of those "so important" OOC slots. When they are able to schedule pretty good teams such as DePaul, UCLA, or St. Johns, they are overjoyed to get that level of competition.

Tennessee is way, way better than any of those teams, and they are willing to play if no preconditions are imposed. If UConn wishes to maximize the competitiveness of its schedule (not to mention nationwide fan interest in its games), it should say yes. If any other team with the basketball resume of Tennessee offered to play, Geno would say yes in a heartbeat.

So the only reason not to play the game is because of events that happened 8 to 10 years ago. Many people who commit serious felonies get out of jail in less time than that.

It's time to let bygones be bygones and do the right thing to make the present-day schedule as competitive and interesting to fans as possible. The players on the current team, who were in primary school when those events occurred, deserve that.

JS

Reaction Score
No names, just initials please.
Long since departed but still active elsewhere.

Patronizing other parts. Looking down on other locales.

The initials would be too recognizable for those who peruse multiple boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom