Should UCONN be in B1G? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Should UCONN be in B1G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're football program sucks. That is the real truth. You have no fanbase, and no recruiting base.

You have strong academics though, and a great basketball program. You're a basketball school.

We do have a great basketball program. Extraordinary, even.

On the other hand, Rutgers is good at nothing.

Nothing.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
New York City doesn't care about Rutgers sports and you and everyone else knows it....Fairfield should be included into UCONN market as there are far more alumni then other universities.
Bill, why the hostilities? I never said anything about athletics because it's not about athletics for the B1G. The consensus is that it's about TV sets and fees. The ACC is a different story.
Just to be clear, Fairfield_1st is a reference to the dorm in the Jungle/North Campus that I lived in as a freshman at UConn. I have nothing to do with the town of Fairfield.

Reaction Score
http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...ig-ten-shouldnt-have-added-uconn-over-rutgers

UConn just won a pair of basketball titles, and that's awesome. But that doesn't mean they should have been added to the Big Ten.

 TWEET (29) SHARE (2)  SHARE 27 COMMENTS
In case you haven't heard, the Connecticut Huskies won two basketball championships last week. This revelation, along with the fact that the school is reasonably close to New York, and currently resides in what's considered to be a secondary conference, has lead some to question if maybe the Big Ten picked the wrong school. Why grab Rutgers to deliver the proverbial NYC market, particularly when UConn is right there?

These concerns left the message boards and Twittersphere and jumped to a major newspaper, with the Toledo Blade posing the same question here. Are they right? Should the Big Ten have gone Maryland and UConn instead?

Let me go ahead and answer that: No.

Before I explain why, let me first say that I am not on Team Rutgers. Nothing against the fine people of the Garden State personally. After all, these guys gave us Saint Bruce Springsteen. But like most fans, I was against the idea of expanding the Big Ten outside of the Midwest unless it was adding a dynamite school, like a Texas or something, and even a fan looking at the situation with the most Scarlet-hued glasses would have to admit that Rutgers isn't such a case.

If I had my way, the Big Ten would still be at 12 teams next season, and if that meant Purdue got a little less TV money, well, I'm comfortable sleeping at night with that sacrifice. However, that's not the world we live in.

If we're going to look at this from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany's eyes, we need to look exactly what each school brings to the table. What do they have facilities wise? What can their football program, by far the most significant property for TV, deliver? Can they deliver the proverbial NYC market? Are they even any good?

Let's break it down:

UConn Stadium Capacity: 40,000, which is nearly 10,000 smaller than the smallest field in the Big Ten (Ryan Field, at Northwestern High School, er, University).

Rutgers Stadium Capacity: 52,454. That's also on the low end of the conference honestly, but it's comparable to Indiana, Illinois and Maryland.

UConn Football W/L over last five years: 29-33. In the interest of fairness, this time period did include a BCS bowl bid (though in one of the most down BCS leagues ever). In the interest of fairness, this time period also included a loss to Towson.

Rutgers Football W/L over last five years: 37-27

UConn's proximity to football recruits: Poor. The state of Connecticut failed to produce a single consensus four-star or better football recruit last season, and only produced seven three-star kids. In fact, Connecticut has only produced three four-star recruits since 2010, and none more recently than 2011. The mythical NYC media market may be important, but nobody really cares about getting access to Connecticut.

Rutgers proximity to football recruits: Strong. The State of New Jersey produced twice as many elite (four-star and above) athletes in 2014 (10) than Connecticut did in four years. Big Ten schools have also made it a priority to recruit New Jersey. In just 2014, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Maryland, Northwestern, Michigan State and Iowa (and of course, Rutgers) all signed at least one three-star or above prospect from New Jersey. Establishing recruiting footholds in new territories is critical for the success of the league, and there is plenty of talent in the Garden State.

From New York City, could you get to UConn's stadium without a car (Per Google Maps)?: Not easily. Using trains and a little bit of driving, I am told this trip would take about five-to-six hours.

From New York City, could you get to Rutgers' stadium without a car (Per Google Maps)?: Yes. Assuming everything lines up, the trip would take two-to-three hours. UPDATE: several Rutgers fans have told me that you can now get from Midtown to Rutgers in about an hour via train. Even better.

UConn's Men's Basketball record over last five years: 122-57. That span includes two national titles, five winning records and one postseason ban (for some very un-B1G APR scores).

Rutgers Men's Basketball record over last five years: 71-89. That span includes zero postseason runs, zero winning records, three coaches, and one embarrassing coaching scandal.

# of UConn College Football Fans in NYC, per Nate Silver's Geography of College Football, 2011: 150,150, or roughly 5.1% of the market.

# of Rutgers College Football Fans in NYC, per the same study: 607,151. or roughly 20.9% of the market.

UConn average attendance, 2013 season: 30,931. This would have easily been last in the league, but again, UConn also has the smallest stadium.

Rutgers average attendance, 2013 season: 46,549. This would have been 10th in the league, ahead of Indiana, Illinois and Northwestern.

UConn enrollment: 30,474

Rutgers enrollment: 58,788

If you are a league determined to add a school in the Northeast, and you're deciding between Rutgers and UConn, the only advantage the Huskies could claim is a vastly superior basketball team. And even so, if UConn had lost in the Elite Eight this season instead of winning the title, is this still considered enough of an advantage to push for their inclusion? Did two weeks of basketball games provide enough data to demand a referendum on this decision?

In terms of pure, New York City, ahem, footprint, if the Nate Silver study is to be believed, there are four times as many Rutgers fans in the area, and given the terrible performance of UConn on the football field as of late, there is little reason to suggest that has dramatically changed. Given that football revenue vastly outpaces that of basketball, the Huskies' domination in basketball wouldn't be enough to justify a bump up in league. By virtually every other metric, the Huskies lag behind.

Does that mean that Rutgers to the Big Ten will be some smashing success? Not necessarily. In fact, I kind of doubt it, mostly out of skepticism that the great New York football market can really be delivered at all. If it can though, it certainly wouldn't be because of UConn.

You can blame Jim Delany for a lot of things, but if the choice was Rutgers or Connecticut, he didn't screw up here.

small_landgrantholyland.com.minimal.16013.png

Despite all this perceived advantages Rutgers has won nothing, nada, zilch. Next time you sell out the garden for an NCAA tournament game, give me a call.

Reaction Score
I don't know if we have a banner or whatever but us and Princeton were both awarded a national championship for the 1869 season. Sure we have one somewhere.
I don't know if we have a banner or whatever but us and Princeton were both awarded a national championship for the 1869 season. Sure we have one somewhere.

Hit the basement and get back to us.

Reaction Score
It is 2 hours and 11 minutes to drive from Grand Central Station to Rentschler Field. It is 49 minutes to Rutgers Stadium.

Really? Have you driven both? I say it will take you much longer than 49 minutes.

Reaction Score
It's a garbage article and really deserves nothing more than a chuckle. But it's about 1 hr 45 min to from Grand Central to New Haven and another 45 min or so to Hartford. Another 15 min drive from Hartford to the Rent. Maybe 3 hours.
Total Garbage!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Wait how did UCONN pass us academically?

THE Ranking:

Rutgers: #103
UCONN: #301-350

Shanghai:

Rutgers: #62
UCONN: #201-300

US News:

Rutgers: #69
UCONN: #57

Rutgers is also a member of the AAU. I mean, we have two ranking systems where UCONN isn't even in the same stratosphere, and one where you're barely ahead. All ranking systems are convoluted no doubt, but the one that doesn't conform to the others is the only one that puts UCONN ahead of RU.
Really? Shanghai?

Reaction Score
I bet most people in the country don't even know where/what Rutgers is.

Our bad football program is better than your bad basketball program.

Our ELITE basketball program is lightyears better than your ...hey there's a lot of good high school football players in NJ that don't go to RU? football program.

We still managed to get 17k (uninflated #) people through the gate to watch (2-9)UConn vs (2-9)Memphis (one of the least desirable matchups you can have) play in 20 degree weather.

RU couldn't get 500 people come to watch them LOSE to Fairleigh Dickinson. Only basketball sellout was when UConn came to town with about 3k fans.

But nope, NO FAN BASE HERE

If we're a basketball school (which apparently is a bad thing?) What is Rutgers?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Really? Have you driven both? I say it will take you much longer than 49 minutes.

It just feels that way because you have to hold your breath because of the stench for about 15 miles after you cross the George Washington Bridge.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If we're a basketball school (which apparently is a bad thing?) What is Rutgers?
A fencing school.

The 1949 NCAA men's fencing title remains Rutgers' only national title in any sport.

FWIW, UConn has 19 national titles across men's and women's basketball, men's soccer and women's field hockey. Including three in the last six months.

Reaction Score
A fencing school.

The 1949 NCAA men's fencing title remains Rutgers' only national title in any sport.

FWIW, UConn has 19 national titles across men's and women's basketball, men's soccer and women's field hockey. Including three in the last six months.

Wait, wait....one of the Rutgers posters said they won a "National Championship" in football a few years after Lincoln was killed.....BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reaction Score
I bet most people in the country don't even know where/what Rutgers is.

Our bad football program is better than your bad basketball program.

Our ELITE basketball program is lightyears better than your ...hey there's a lot of good high school football players in NJ that don't go to RU? football program.

We still managed to get 17k (uninflated #) people through the gate to watch (2-9)UConn vs (2-9)Memphis (one of the least desirable matchups you can have) play in 20 degree weather.

RU couldn't get 500 people come to watch them LOSE to Fairleigh Dickinson. Only basketball sellout was when UConn came to town with about 3k fans.

But nope, NO FAN BASE HERE

People (RU fans mostly) tend to forget or turn a blind eye to the empty seats at late season Rutgers home games when they stink. Their last game against USF drew an "announced" crowd of 37k with a bowl bid on the line. Probably was about 10-15k generous.

Reaction Score
Our fanbase was dead last year at the end of last year, no doubt. When news got out that we were shopping for a new HC and after all the decommits, our attendance would surely be killed. 6-6 with a bowl game was no longer acceptable to much of our fanbase. And yes, attendance was around 30 something thousand.

But even in 2010 with a 4-8 record we still averaged well over 40k a game, so to make an apples and apples comparison, UCONN brought in 17k against Memphis when in 2010 we brought in 37k against a crappy Louisville team. Both at the end of the season.

Comparing it to our basketball attendance is silly. You guys want to compare your football program to ours, and I don't slight you for that. So go with the like comparisons.

Reaction Score
Our fanbase was dead last year at the end of last year, no doubt. When news got out that we were shopping for a new HC and after all the decommits, our attendance would surely be killed. 6-6 with a bowl game was no longer acceptable to much of our fanbase. And yes, attendance was around 30 something thousand.

But even in 2010 with a 4-8 record we still averaged well over 40k a game, so to make an apples and apples comparison, UCONN brought in 17k against Memphis when in 2010 we brought in 37k against a crappy Louisville team. Both at the end of the season.

Comparing it to our basketball attendance is silly. You guys want to compare your football program to ours, and I don't slight you for that. So go with the like comparisons.

As bad as our football has been, it has been better than your basketball.

Reaction Score
Not arguing that in the least. Just arguing that you should make an apples to apples comparison.

Reaction Score
Not arguing that in the least. Just arguing that you should make an apples to apples comparison.
Apples to Apples means there ain't a whole hell of a difference between RU's football program and UConn's. There is a huge difference between our hoop programs.
Most of the TV ratings regarding the NYC market are figured in because northern Jersey is considered part of the NYC TV market. Take away N. Jersey and there ain't a whole lot of Rutgers TV interest in Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, LI, Westchester etc.

Reaction Score
It just feels that way because you have to hold your breath because of the stench for about 15 miles after you cross the George Washington Bridge.

If you take te GW it's much longer. I usually take one of the tunnels, preferring the Holland if I a headed to Piscataway area.

Reaction Score

Wait a minute. You're claiming 37k against Ville in 2010? That's the game in the rain right? I remember watching that game thinking there wasn't 10k in the stadium. If you want to claim 37k, then ok.

Reaction Score
Well according to Jay there were only 14k empty seats that day. Those upper decks must've been PACKED!!!!!

Reaction Score

Given the evidence brought forth, I'm going to give you a chance to backtrack on this absurd claim.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
JayRU09 said:

Pasqualoni is available.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, I can end this rooster.measuring contest right now.

FB: it's a wash NJ recruiting, vs. CT commitment to winning and actuall on-field accomplishments 2>1 and 1>0 for lurking fans from the University of Southern Canada.

BB: seriously?

TV viewer's: 9M > 4M, you win. Congrats.

Academics: I'm not a news magazine or a fancy academic think tank, so I'll just use my insights as an employer who was given a resume from a graduate of each.

They're both State U's, and they're both fine, if unspectacular. A candidate who succeeded there is worth interviewing. One who struggled probably isn't. It's not like either are Stockton State or ECSU.

Better fit for the B1G: they really need both to reach their stated goals. It would mean most teams play in this area every year. Which is what turns the NE into BIG Ten country more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom