Should Mccombs have played yesterday? | The Boneyard

Should Mccombs have played yesterday?

What should PP have done with Mccombs on Saturday?

• He should have been suspended for the RU game

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • He should have played the entire game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He should be suspended pending the outcome of his court appearance

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • He should continue to play pending the outcome of his court appearance

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • The decision to sit him for the first quarter was correct

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • He should be thrown off the team

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have seen many responses and I think I have most covered. I am curious as to the collective sentiment of the yard.

Reaction Score
Absolutely should not have made the trip to Rutgers.

Don't have enough facts to determine what other punishment is appropriate. The fact he has a previous arrest makes it even worse.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
From what little we know, as long as we are not viewing the one quarter suspension as final, this could have been appropriate (it is possible that his only crime was yelling, something that warrants some suspension s this is careless and reckless behavior, especially during the season). If it comes out that he did shove her and spit on her, there needs to be a far greater punishment added.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It was too late to make a fully informed decision. If there are those wanting a DV arrest to require an immediate suspension in athletics then write that into the athletic code. I thought the 1st quarter suspension was enough until a full decision can be made.

I believe in due process. Midnight before a game leaves little time to assess all the facts.

Reaction Score
From what little we know, as long as we are not viewing the one quarter suspension as final, this could have been appropriate (it is possible that his only crime was yelling, something that warrants some suspension s this is careless and reckless behavior, especially during the season). If it comes out that he did shove her and spit on her, there needs to be a far greater punishment added.
I don't agree with this. Boyfriend/girlfriend shoving and spitting at each other. Both arrested. No punches thrown (or it would have been an assault 3). No one injured. No bruises, no scars. This is minor league bs. The punishment was appropriate.

Reaction Score
It was too late to make a fully informed decision. If there are those wanting a DV arrest to require an immediate suspension in athletics then write that into the athletic code. I thought the 1st quarter suspension was enough until a full decision can be made.

I believe in due process. Midnight before a game leaves little time to assess all the facts.

By law, a domestic violence case must be arraigned the next business day, regardless of whether the defendant's are incarcerated. Was McCombs already arraigned? I see his next court date is November 27th, so I would have to assume he was, as that is a very long future court date without being arraigned.

Reaction Score

After midnight before a game also shows very little respect for the rest of the team. Then again he is only averaging one arrest a season........He should have not been on the bus......

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this. Boyfriend/girlfriend shoving and spitting at each other. Both arrested. No punches thrown (or it would have been an assault 3). No one injured. No bruises, no scars. This is minor league bs. The punishment was appropriate.

Huh? Pushing and spitting on each other is minor league BS? And again, if they were shoving and even spitting, the police could have charged them with Assault 3. That is why I would like to see the police report.

Reaction Score
Huh? Pushing and spitting on each other is minor league BS? And again, if they were shoving and even spitting, the police could have charged them with Assault 3. That is why I would like to see the police report.
Yes. It is minor league bs. And they're kids. We overreact to almost everything now. It's not that big a deal . . .

Reaction Score
A man pushing and spitting on a woman is minor league BS in your eyes?

Reaction Score
Yes. It is minor league bs. And they're kids. We overreact to almost everything now. It's not that big a deal . . .
20 is not a kid, immature yes, kid no.

Reaction Score

It absolutely is a big deal from a societal standpoint. I have never thought it would be okay to push any of my girlfriends, let alone spit at them. It's garbage and it is never acceptable. If any "man" thinks that is alright to do, they aren't much of a man.

As far as criminal aspects go, it is a misdemeanor, and will likely be nolled or dismissed as long as both parties complete programs or take classes.

Reaction Score

And they are not kids. And if they were 16 years old, no male should ever think it is alright to spit and push a woman.

Reaction Score
A man pushing and spitting on a woman is minor league BS in your eyes?
they were pushing and shoving each other. He didn't beat her up. this was yelling, pushing and shoving. Breach of Peace, 2nd Degree. Not even 1st degree. Breach of Peace! Holy crap. Hey, let's go to the legislature and get another 20,000 pages of punishments to keep society happy. Bring back public hangings, they served a cathartic purpose I think. Hang him!

Reaction Score
It absolutely is a big deal from a societal standpoint. I have never thought it would be okay to push any of my girlfriends, let alone spit at them. It's garbage and it is never acceptable. If any "man" thinks that is alright to do, they aren't much of a man.

As far as criminal aspects go, it is a misdemeanor, and will likely be nolled or dismissed as long as both parties complete programs or take classes.
I didn't say it was "all right"' so I hope I can still me a "man" your estimation. Not OK. Arrest? Appropriate. Punishment by PP? Appropriate. All right? No. Not appropriate.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of folks are forgetting a player recently lost his life to what may have started out as minor league BS.
There should be 0 tolerance for violance of any type on a campus.
Want to send your daughter to a school that has the attitude that her getting pushed, shoved and spit on is minor league stuff? I doubt it highly.
This is simply thug mentality...

Reaction Score
I didn't say it was "all right"' so I hope I can still me a "man" your estimation. Not OK. Arrest? Appropriate. Punishment by PP? Appropriate. All right? No. Not appropriate.

I just don't understand how a misdemeanor arrest only warrants a 1 quarter punishment. That is a slap on the wrist. He did not represent his university or his team in an appropriate manner. He did not deserve to suit up for the Rutgers game. That is my opinion even if it was a Disorderly Conduct charge due to a minor fight with another student.

As I said, from a strictly criminal standpoint, it is not a major charge. He is not going to see a second inside a jail cell.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Didn't PP say it was done on the quarter?

I can't see how a quarter suspension makes any sense. Either something bad happened and suspend for the game or it didn't and don't suspend at all. One quarter is so wishy-washy it's pathetic.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Fact: he let the team down and embarrassed the program.
So you know for a fact that she didn't attack him and he was defending himself?

Look, I am in no way defending domestic violence. If he attacked her, I want the him punished to the full extent of the law. I know people whose lives have been harmed by domestic violence so I have a zero tolerance towards it. But we simply don't know the context in which whatever happened Friday took place so I want to hear the details before I condemn anyone.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of folks are forgetting a player recently lost his life to what may have started out as minor league BS.
There should be 0 tolerance for violance of any type on a campus.
Want to send your daughter to a school that has the attitude that her getting pushed, shoved and spit on is minor league stuff? I doubt it highly.
This is simply thug mentality...

There is 0 tolerance. He got arrested. How's that? It played out the way you like it. The guy got arrested. Behavior not tolerated, not even a little. He didn't get a medal. He got arrested. That is Zero Tolerance. What about "arrest" means to you that this behavior is tolerated? Has to go to court. He got embarrassed. He got suspended. His name is all over TV and the internet. It is not tolerated. I'm just talking about the response. I'm not going to insult you. You're heart's in the right place. Many people feel like you. I get it. There is only so much room in our prison system. It is overburdened. We do not have the resources to prosecute and confine each other at the levels some would prefer.

Reaction Score
So you know for a fact that she didn't attack him and he was defending himself?

Look, I am in no way defending domestic violence. If he attacked her, I want the him punished to the full extent of the law. I know people whose lives have been harmed by domestic violence so I have a zero tolerance towards it. But we simply don't know the context in which whatever happened Friday took place so I want to hear the details before I condemn anyone.

I think the majority of us agree with the wait for facts before we call for him to be kicked off the team. But he was arrested. A one game suspension was warranted, IMO.

Reaction Score
Didn't PP say it was done on the quarter?

I can't see how a quarter suspension makes any sense. Either something bad happened and suspend for the game or it didn't and don't suspend at all. One quarter is so wishy-washy it's pathetic.
I see you don't like one little thing about PP, do you? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom