Shot is off? Get Giffey open. Double screen, anything | The Boneyard

Shot is off? Get Giffey open. Double screen, anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hitting shots are like hits in baseball. They're contagious. Giffey is lights out with a clean look all the time. We need more plays for him. Seems like he is just the kick out option.

Reaction Score
Hey Cody! Hope the new job is going well.
Giffey did have a clean look early and bricked it. I've noticed they have started to drive and kick the ball back out to Giffey and Daniels a bit more lately.

Reaction Score
he should be involved more in the offense problem is that he is to stationary, he needs to stay moving run around circles around his defender rip, ray even kemba did it when bazz was running the point

Reaction Score
he should be involved more in the offense problem is that he is to stationary, he needs to stay moving run around circles around his defender rip, ray even kemba did it when bazz was running the point

Giffey is not that type of player, if you're asking for him to be in constant motion, receiving a pass off the move, and then squaring himself up to shoot all in one motion you're pretty much asking for a miss. Giffey is a very good shooter in ideal situations when he can have his feet set and time to get off of a shot, but you're not dusting off the Rip, Ray, Lamb, BG, Kemba(when moved to the 2), etc package for him. Those plays are being run for Bazz because like those guys that were mentioned he can shoot in any situation, stationary, off the move, you name it.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Ever consider that we have ran plays designed to shift traffic to one side of the court (we've been doing this to get DD space on the baseline), as Niels sneaks around to the other corner, and Bazz/Boat drive and kick as his defender collapses? Just because his defender doesn't bite every time doesn't mean we aren't trying. Either way, we have definitely seen Bazz and Boat suppressing their racism and dishing to him more over the last few games.

Reaction Score
His primary role is to provide offensive spacing. Guys like him don't need plays run for them (unless it's a situation where we absolutely MUST have a 3). He gets most of his looks off guard penetration (much like Ray does in Miami). I can remember the one he hit from the corner right in front of the UConn bench. He started off at the elbow and when Boat/Napier (can't remember which one of them it was) drove into the lane, Niels drifted over into the corner to provide a passing angle. He hit him and he drained the shot. That's the offense run to perfection.

Reaction Score
Ever consider that we have ran plays designed to shift traffic to one side of the court, as Niels sneaks around to the other corner, and Bazz/Boat drive and kick as his defender collapses? Just because his defender doesn't bite every time doesn't mean we aren't trying. Either way, we have definitely seen Bazz and Boat suppressing their racism and dishing to him more over the last few games.

Pretty much, just because Giffey isn't running around designed screens doesn't mean plays aren't being run

Reaction Score
Ever consider that we have ran plays designed to shift traffic to one side of the court, as Niels sneaks around to the other corner, and Bazz/Boat drive and kick as his defender collapses? Just because his defender doesn't bite every time doesn't mean we aren't trying. Either way, we have definitely seen Bazz and Boat suppressing their racism and dishing to him more over the last few games.
Martelli is a solid coach. Wright is better. And if we're good enough to win that, I don't see us playing against a bad coach. They all do scouting reports...and there's a lot of tape at this stage of the season, and Gif is what he is. So you're totally right.

Additionally, what's good about Daniels getting his shot back, (as in the beginning of the year) is that, provided Gif stands in the corner, and Daniels provides spacing, there are two guys you can't help off of, and now our guards can get into the lane without the absurd congestion we've been facing down low when Daniels hit his slump.

Reaction Score
One play that I thought was brilliant was when Boat drove the baseline, drew defenders, and kicked it to Giffey, who had flashed to the opposing corner. Voila, Giff was wide open for 3, receiving the pass in a way that he was already squared up and facing the direction he wanted to shoot. I think he swished it too.

Reaction Score
Hitting shots are like hits in baseball. They're contagious. Giffey is lights out with a clean look all the time. We need more plays for him. Seems like he is just the kick out option.
If we can get him wide open he will bury it. If he has some pressure he is only average or passes the ball. We should be able to get him some open looks against Villanova. They play 3 guards and tend to help a lot on D so if we pass it well Giffey would be open and could be key.
Our biggest challenge is stopping their outside game. They can be a great shooting team and have a lot of options on the perimeter. They are probably a lot more like us than just about any team in the tournament.

Reaction Score
especially in this nova game, Giffey, DD will have a size advantage on the wing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Martelli is a solid coach. Wright is better. And if we're good enough to win that, I don't see us playing against a bad coach. They all do scouting reports...and there's a lot of tape at this stage of the season, and Gif is what he is. So you're totally right.

Additionally, what's good about Daniels getting his shot back, (as in the beginning of the year) is that, provided Gif stands in the corner, and Daniels provides spacing, there are two guys you can't help off of, and now our guards can get into the lane without the absurd congestion we've been facing down low when Daniels hit his slump.

Yes, and this works only so long as those guards recognize when the D is collapsing and when it isn't, and kick it to the shooter when it is, rather than going 1 on 3 (as Bazz did a few times yesterday). It's even more effective when DD and Giff can exploit an overplay on the outside and take it to the rim, as they did a few times yesterday.

Reaction Score
Just talked to my son who is a Nova grad and huge fan so he follows them closely. He told me they don't defend the 3 well and we will get open perimeter shots. Also said we don't have an answer for Pinkston inside (about 6'7", 250 lbs.). He is probably right but if they don't defend us well on the perimeter we could win big.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just talked to my son who is a Nova grad and huge fan so he follows them closely. He told me they don't defend the 3 well and we will get open perimeter shots. Also said we don't have an answer for Pinkston inside (about 6'7", 250 lbs.). He is probably right but if they don't defend us well on the perimeter we could win big.

Ugh, sounds a little like Harrell. Dooooomed.

Reaction Score
Pinkston is a real big pain in the butt. Giffey needs to pull the trigger more often. If it not the perfect storm for his shot ( wide open ) be ball fakes and passes the ball out. He is frustrating to watch, but I hope he gets real open looks because we need him. Boat and Bazz are looking to him. Boat was impressive last night.

Reaction Score
I been saying this all year. We need to get Giffey open via screen after screen. We need to bring back plays we used to run for RIP. He would run around and force his defender through screen after screen. Giffey needs to be more active when he does not have the ball and rest of our guys need to keep setting screens for him until he is open. He is the X-factor that will determine if we can make a deep run.

Reaction Score
Maybe we start Tyler and use fouls up first.
I been saying this all year. We need to get Giffey open via screen after screen. We need to bring back plays we used to run for RIP. He would run around and force his defender through screen after screen. Giffey needs to be more active when he does not have the ball and rest of our guys need to keep setting screens for him until he is open. He is the X-factor that will determine if we can make a deep run.
RIP was in perpetual motion without the ball. As you said Giffey isn't active enough without the ball even when we do set screens for him. Giffey works hard to get open but he just isn't nearly effective at it as RIP. Not a knock against Giffey because few players were as active without the ball as RIP. Plus RIP could hit his shot with defensive pressure and I haven't seen that from Giffey.
Ollie will probably continue to run screens for him but I doubt he will be the focus of our offense on most plays. Our guards will hit him as they penetrate and the defense tries to help and also on the break. That is when Giffey is wide open and can kill them with a 3.

Reaction Score

I haven't watched a ton of Villanova this year, but when Pinkston isn't knocking kids out in fraternities, his game is much more diverse than Harrell's. He's not as strong, or at least not as wide, but he can play inside and out. He's definitely going to be a bit of an issue. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom