Shortell an Guiterrez Commit to UConn | The Boneyard

Shortell an Guiterrez Commit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just saw a tweet from Mike Grant TE Shortell from Butler CC and WR Guiterrez from Miami have both committed to UConn.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Welcome to UConn TE Shortell and WR Guiterrez

Reaction Score
I'm sure they are talented but let's not get too excited. We beat out Kansas for Guiterrez and we were Shortell's only offer according to Rivals.

Where are the "can't close a door" people?

Reaction Score
I'm sure they are talented but let's not get too excited. We beat out Kansas for Guiterrez and we were Shortell's only offer according to Rivals.

True

Reaction Score
Geat news, welcome aboard!

We are up to 28 scholarship recruits plus the one preferred walkon offensive lineman.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
glad to see shortell is confirmed by some1. i have seen the twitter stuff since the visit but nothing solid. another good pickup in ricky gutz. like that he had another bcs offer.

also to confirm any1's thoughts like mine, ricky gutz is the son of former mlb player...

@RubeDior just commited to uconn. i don't think its ricky gutz becuase he is friends with some ct kids and has ct stuff in his pics. think we just picked up a local kid. might have another name to check out here...possibly a temple commit switching or a milford acd kid(waterbury kid maybe???). he is at uconn now(visited this weekend). gonna do some searching...

my guess? i think ruben berger is a ct husky!

Reaction Score
Where are the "can't close a door" people?

Welcome aboard guys - sounds like we got some more under the radar type of recruits - prove the recruiting experts wrong as so many other kids have who have played wearing the 'C' have.

Close what door? Stop with this please. He is doing ok, a bit better than the last two years according to experts, but let's not confuse PP with Ed Orgeron! I still dont know the numbers but it sounds like we got the door shut on us with some of the higher sought after recruits, including the TE that OU closed the door on. Is there still room for Brodie, Morgan, Allen and higher highly sought after signing these recruits?

Uconn 2012 recruting class is ranked 65 by scout - 7th in BE (not completed)
Uconn 2011 recruiting class was ranked 81 by scout- 8th in BE
Uconn 2010 recruiting class was ranked 69 by scout- 8th in BE
Uconn 2009 recruiting class was ranker 76 by scout- 7th in BE
Uconn 2008 recruting class was ranked 70 by scout- 8th in BE
Uconn 2007 recruiting class was ranked 53 by scout- 7th in BE

Maryland 2012 recruiting class is ranked 39 by scout - 6th in ACC out of 12

I dont believe it does, but does this prove RE is better at recruting than PP or was he right about not being able to recruit at Uconn?
Kids want to play in the ACC over BE?
Maryland has better facilities?
Or they all have no fashion sense and want to wear crazy uniforms?

'Close the door...the heat is on!'

Reaction Score
FWIW I heard a DE/DT from Notre Dame Fairfield will be part of this class.

Reaction Score
glad to see shortell is confirmed by some1. i have seen the twitter stuff since the visit but nothing solid. another good pickup in ricky gutz. like that he had another bcs offer.

also to confirm any1's thoughts like mine, ricky gutz is the son of former mlb player...

@RubeDior just commited to uconn. i don't think its ricky gutz becuase he is friends with some ct kids and has ct stuff in his pics. think we just picked up a local kid. might have another name to check out here...possibly a temple commit switching or a milford acd kid(waterbury kid maybe???). he is at uconn now(visited this weekend). gonna do some searching...

my guess? i think ruben berger is a ct husky!

Berger would be a nice pick up. He's got very good size and speed. Could be a nice addition to the secondary.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Looks like PP's playing it smart with (potentially) Berger and Tumba: when in doubt, go with the local kids.

I like it!...

Reaction Score
Looks like PP's playing it smart with (potentially) Berger and Tumba: when in doubt, go with the local kids.

I like it!...

Whats smart about it?

Reaction Score
Berger's Milford Academy Highlight Video

I watched this earlier. Looks pretty good to me. Moves his hips pretty well. Keeps up with his man. Has pretty good size and good ball skills when the ball is in the air.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The point, PAL, is that our can't close the door coaches seem to have had better success on the field than some "close the door" coaches. Kids that PP is "on" as higher ranked recruits he has been able to "be on" for much less time than most of his competitors, those competitors generally have much more of a fb tradition than UConn does, and those are the schools he has been generally losing out to, or there is some local local geographic connection. Give the guy another year and then you can judge whether the kids you imagine are better than the ones he gets show he is a lousy closer. And make sure you follow the careers of our guys versus the ones we didn't get to see how much of a difference there really is. The key is in the studs at the skill positions, the hardest ones for UConn to attract. Throw in the mess that is the BE and that certainly doesn't make it easier against, let's say, PSU regardless of their present issues, little of which have had to do with on the field performance. Except for Rutgers, for the most part, the "close out" failures have been to programs that either are better known for fb than we are or are in much more predictable conferences. Frankly, I had more problems with coaching decisions from PP than I do recruiting. And even there, HCRE hardly left him in great shape at several key positions.

Reaction Score
Neither of those were recruiting battles.

If the WR had an offer from Kansas it was a recruiting battle that was won.

P is putting together a class that is on paper better then the previous years and he is doing it during a year that the conference has been torn apart and glued back together which obviously makes recruiting more difficult.

And in response to another poster, Yes it is easier to recruit at Maryland than UCONN. Much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom