'Short' NBA point guards: Bazz | The Boneyard

'Short' NBA point guards: Bazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was paying attention to the NBA post season looking at small pg and thinking about Bazz. Here's an interesting article: linky

Well there are some good and great ones about the same size (6'2" and under):

Tony Parker (baller second to none, I've never seen him dunk)
CP3 (best pure pg out there)
Nate Robinson (indescribable)
Rondo (6'1" but seems taller)
Kemba (on his way up)
Trey Burke (Utah Jazz)
Brandon Jennings
Etc..

The list is long. I'm missing some good ones now playing but to think that Bazz may not flourish (according to some pundits) is absurd. His outside shot alone will set up other players and his pick and roll execution is already advanced. His height is not a problem, unless perhaps he is up against agile 6'3+ guards, like John Wall or Rubio, because Bazz at times does not stay in front of his man. The reach around bandit disappeared but that habit surfaced from time to time.

I can't wait to see where he goes because that's the only thing that can hold him back (i.e. wrong team). Of the above list I see him modeled after Tyler Phommachanh. Also at the next level players will be able to handle his bullet passes which were 'wasted' passes in college.

He's got a good head on his shoulder, plenty of role models (including Blalock and Kemba), along with 4 years of college. He's ready.

Wherever he goes I will follow. He alone can bring me back to watching the NBA.

Not an NBA follower, so I ask; does anyone know what the hesitancy or doubt about Bazz is based on?

Reaction Score
His size by itself isn't a issue - it's the combination of size and the fact that he isn't an explosive athlete by NBA standards (either off the dribble, or off the floor). Guys like Parker and Nash aren't necessarily either, so that's the sort of genre he can hope to aspire to. The craftiness and unpredictability to make things happen in the paint on the move. Those two guys have a dizzying array of scoop shots, floaters, and deception to get their shots off, while keeping the D on their heels (Parker always is among the league leaders in points in the paint). But there aren't many who can do it at that level with 6-11 athletes in the way.

Kemba has an extra gear of athleticism, but in some ways doesn't have the craftiness yet to keep defenders guessing. He goes hard to the rim and he's more predictable than Nash or Parker (or Bazz). As his game evolves with more experience, and he gets more weapons around him, he may become better at that.

Reaction Score
This ^^^ Was going to say that other than Parker the rest of those guys are either very good or ridiculous athletes. Parker, as you said, just has sick game; similar to Bazz but a bit bigger. I think Bazz can be a very successful pro but I'm not sure if he'll be a starter/borderline/all-star like the guys you mentioned.

Reaction Score
I think he can be a starter. He defends the ball, great handles, he can get his shot off against taller defenders, he can make jumpers off his dribble. He has the total game, other than being an elite athlete. I don't see why he can't be Chris Paul.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I was paying attention to the NBA post season looking at small pg and thinking about Bazz...
I can't wait to see where he goes because that's the only thing that can hold him back (i.e. wrong team). Of the above list I see him modeled after Tyler Phommachanh. Also at the next level players will be able to handle his bullet passes which were 'wasted' passes in college.

He's got a good head on his shoulder, plenty of role models (including Blalock and Kemba), along with 4 years of college. He's ready.

Wherever he goes I will follow. He alone can bring me back to watching the NBA.

Not an NBA follower, so I ask; does anyone know what the hesitancy or doubt about Bazz is based on?

Clearly, I agree that there seems to be a nonsensical bias against Bazz...not sure if it is driven by anti-UConn or something else, but his potential deficiencies are often over emphasized and his capabilities down-played.
I did notice that on the ESPN top hundred list, both Bazz and DD were listed at lower heights than they are in the UConn's press release & they don't do that for prospects from other schools. When Bazz was a freshman, he appeared to be the same height as Kemba or perhaps a fraction higher. IIRC, Kemba was 5'11.5" barefoot and 6'1" with shoes, so I anticipate that Bazz will match these numbers or be a fraction higher. But you will still get analysts say things like "I don't think he is even 6' tall" (Skip Bayless).
DD was clearly taller than Randall from Ky..but ESPN lists Randall at 6'9" and DD at 6'7". DD looked to be 3" taller than Hogue of Ia St who is listed at 6'6" and two inches taller than Finney-Smith at UF, who is listed at 6'8". The pre-draft camp measurements should clear this up, but it does seem to reflect an anti-UConn bias.
To any un-biased observer, Bazz's performance in the NCAAs reflected transcendent talent. He is very-well conditioned, strong and quick...the only athleticism that he lacks is leaping ability, and his skill set more than makes up for that. He is much better than DJ Augustin, who lacks Bazz's court vision and shot-making creativity. I really hope he goes to one of the better franchises, who will appreciate his abilities and not buy into the negative hype. His basement is a solid NBA backup but his ceiling could be reminiscent of Isaiah Thomas (Pistons, not Isiah from the Kings).

Reaction Score
IMO the NBA drafts based on potential. Teams are more likely to take an unpolished guy with explosive athleticism at the wing than they are a 4 year senior who may have reached his ceiling (in their eyes). I think a lot of pundits will use height, or athleticism as excuses when they don't think a guy is good enough to make it.

His handle, vision, ability to pick and roll, ability to shoot off the dribble, and range from deep are all elite. On top of that, he is willing and able to get guys the ball in the right position for them to have a good scoring opportunity.
Other guys will love playing with him because he's a willing passer, he's a humble guy who leads by example. It may take a few years for him to adjust and establish himself, but he's going to be a very solid point guard in the league. In the right situation I can see him among the league leaders in assists.

Reaction Score
His footwork is reminiscent of steve nash. He is also clearly a good defender, probably better than nash was his senior year. Through out the year he guarded opposing teams bigger guard, he almost a defensive anchor but as a pg. Him getting drafted around 17-25 would be ideal, would be insane if he falls to the heat/thunder/bulls.

Reaction Score
**NOT SAYING HE IS AS GOOD** but Bazz's game reminds me of a mix of Parker's craftiness/vision and Curry's ability to hit 30fters off the dribble in rhythm.

MrP

Reaction Score
*NOT SAYING HE IS AS GOOD* but Bazz's game reminds me of a mix of Parker's craftiness/vision and Curry's ability to hit 30fters off the dribble in rhythm.

Why bother holding back the hyperbole? The guy is apparently Isaiah Thomas and Chris Paul rolled into one!

Kidding aside, I was saying all season (to my wife, who couldn't give two *s) that Bazz is a poor mans steph curry. He is definitely shorter than curry though

Reaction Score
Years ago there was an article in SI where the author (NBA beat guy?) worked with a scout ahead of the draft. They watched film, went to workouts, etc. Obviously the scout would have the keener (more keen?) eye for what the team was looking for. However, what stuck out to me, and the author, was how nitpicky scouts are. One unidentified player who the author thought could be a top 10 pick based solely on college numbers and performance ended up having a 2nd round grade because of traits such as how long it took him to get his shot off, his hand position on the ball when he passed it, the way he dribbled the ball, etc. It may seem like minutiae but to the scout, it was very important. When trying to shoot over or dribble past a defender, every .01 of a second counted. I remember the player being described as a physical beast with avg bbiq and great numbers but he was marked way down for the little things. These are the things we don't think about as fans, especially when it is one of "our own".

Reaction Score
His footwork is reminiscent of steve nash. He is also clearly a good defender, probably better than nash was his senior year. Through out the year he guarded opposing teams bigger guard, he almost a defensive anchor but as a pg. Him getting drafted around 17-25 would be ideal, would be insane if he falls to the heat/thunder/bulls.
Bazz = Steve Nash. Not saying he's going to be an NBA MVP, but then again,
who thought he'd come a hair short of college POY.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
imo Bazz is a good on ball defender, but not as good off the ball. He needs to work on a floater and decision making on a break.

Reaction Score
He has the best court vision of anyone in this draft, by far. He's not going to be Russel Westbrook but I can see him being a facilitator who also forces his defender to stay true. We all know he can easily hit from NBA range especially if left open. The main issue I can think of would be keeping up with bigger or more athletic guards on D.

Reaction Score
Watching NBA guards poor shooting in the playoffs tells me that there is room for Bazz. He's going to be great from long range eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom