Shonn Miller Cornell Game Film | The Boneyard

Shonn Miller Cornell Game Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Similar to the Terry Larrier thread I posted last week, there were only three available games of Shonn Miller playing for Cornell on espn3: South Carolina, Syracuse & Buffalo, all top 100 teams per KenPom.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stay in the paint big fella. Leave the 3's to Sterling, JA and DHam
Once he's not the number one option and can afford to be more selective (ie. wide open 3's), I think that and his driving ability from the outside will be useful to bring some of the opposing big men outside and open up the lane for the guards and Hamilton.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Agreed. I'd much prefer he drives/passes from the perimeter. I'm sure he'll understand his role here in our offense. Any 3 he hits should be considered gravy.

His best attributes in my opinion are his solid handle and body control with that big frame and length. Put him on the perimeter of our pick-and-roll offense as the main guy setting picks, and teams will be in trouble if they try to switch. If the opposing team switches a smaller guard onto Miller, he will have the ability to dribble-drive right past them with his strength and size.

This should help our guards as well... if the defense can't switch on the perimeter, Purvis/Gibbs/Adams should have an easier time working off screens. Last year we did not create enough mismatches for our guards on the perimeter because we did not have a dynamic player at 4 like Miller/DeAndre. Hamilton STARTED to become that dynamic guy at the 4, but we relied too heavily on him and simply did not have enough solid ball handlers.

Very much looking forward to seeing Miller next year. I think he starts at the 4 every game. Just like everyone else, I'm especially intrigued to see Miller at the 5, Hamilton at the 4, with 3 guards (Gibbs/Purv/Adams). Should be a fun season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

He actually looks to be at his best attacking off the dribble from the perimeter, facing the basket, kind of like Royce White. Shooting mechanics are fine, but 20 feet just appears to be a step or two beyond his range.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Wow, very impressive.

Obviously he's a high-level rebounder. He may not be a high-volume shot-blocker but he seems to be a decent-to-good on-ball blocker (he destroyed Rakeem Christmas on one shot). He is a great finisher. Good leaper, on rebounds and lobs. He seems to be a capable passer; he would look good in the middle of a zone. His stroke is nice; he's a great FT shooter. He puts the ball on the floor nicely and even showed a couple spin moves that were excellent.

I know he shot 27% from 3 for the season, so he must have shot 60% in the rest of his games, because he was about 0-20 in these 3. Stroke looked fine, but only a fraction of them didn't look terrible coming out of his hand. A lot of front rims. He looks comfortable shooting it out to about 15 feet.

It was interesting to hear the announcers in both the SC and Buffalo games talk openly about how he had the skills to, and probably would, play elsewhere as a 5th year senior.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
It was interesting to hear the announcers in both the SC and Buffalo games talk openly about how he had the skills to, and probably would, play elsewhere as a 5th year senior.
I think it's a rule that Ivy League grad students can't play sports so he didn't have the option of staying at Cornell.

If you remove the contested threes from his game you have to like what you see here. Obviously he was a/the main scoring threat for Cornell so he had to take those shots far more often than he will at UConn. With him and Hamilton possessing size and the ability to drive, we should be able to create some match up problems. Excited to see him play.

Reaction Score
Has a very slow release and really 3 pt range seems out of his zone. I love his handle and I guess we could see him play some 3 also to back up dham if Omar isn't playing well. Love that he is a great Athlete that can run the court, play d, block shots and rebound. It will be interesting seeing him Intergrate with the team. I'm just glad we have more options with different skill sets at 4-5 this year.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think it's a rule that Ivy League grad students can't play sports so he didn't have the option of staying at Cornell.

If you remove the contested threes from his game you have to like what you see here. Obviously he was a/the main scoring threat for Cornell so he had to take those shots far more often than he will at UConn. With him and Hamilton possessing size and the ability to drive, we should be able to create some match up problems. Excited to see him play.

Yeah - that's what they were saying. It's a rule I wasn't aware of until we started recruiting Miller after the season, but the game announcers knew all about it.

A lot of the 3's were also with CU down by a lot.

Reaction Score
I like his first step and footwork in the paint when finishing. also clearly a high level rebounder in div.1.

Imo bad shots are usually a product of being on a bad team, so I'm pretty optimistic that with less responsibility/usage miller can focus on what he does most efficiently. So i'm guessing KO will run alot of 4 - 1 with brimah the lone big in the paint while miller and hamilton attack off the bounce.

I mentioned in some other thread Miller caught a growth spurt at some point in college, something like 3-4 inches. thats incredible. completely different prospect than he was at 18

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No need for threes from him. Our team is lacking someone who can get rebounds and score near the basket to ten feet out. We have adams gibbs hamilton omar etc for shooting. We need an inside presence

Reaction Score
No need for threes from him. Our team is lacking someone who can get rebounds and score near the basket to ten feet out. We have adams gibbs hamilton omar etc for shooting. We need an inside presence
He isn't a traditional inside scorer. His game is probabably more tailored to a DD game except he can't shoot that well at the 3 pt line. He is a better dribbler than DD though so he can always try to beat his man and dish it out to one of our guards or take it to the basket.

Reaction Score
I can't believe all of you saying "don't shoot 3's".

We just won a championship two years ago because we had a 4 who kept the defense honest from deep and opened up driving lanes for our guards. You park a guy like Miller in the paint alongside another lane-clogger like Brimah, you waste his talent and bog down the offense. Miller will excel in the pick-and-pop game and be a better presence on the glass than DD was (though his overall game probably isn't as good).

Like Larrier, Miller's problem was shot selection. In Larrier's case, it was because they ran a frenetic offense. In Miller's case, it was because he was the offense. In our system, Miller won't have to take off-the-dribble, pull-up 3's. The ones he takes will be spot up.

Reaction Score
His game seems to be based on driving from the perimeter. Even if he can just shoot at a decent clip on wide open threes to keep the defender honest and open up the lane, that's big. He seems much more comfortable facing up from out there than with his back to the basket in the paint.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I can't believe all of you saying "don't shoot 3's".

We just won a championship two years ago because we had a 4 who kept the defense honest from deep and opened up driving lanes for our guards. You park a guy like Miller in the paint alongside another lane-clogger like Brimah, you waste his talent and bog down the offense. Miller will excel in the pick-and-pop game and be a better presence on the glass than DD was (though his overall game probably isn't as good).

Like Larrier, Miller's problem was shot selection. In Larrier's case, it was because they ran a frenetic offense. In Miller's case, it was because he was the offense. In our system, Miller won't have to take off-the-dribble, pull-up 3's. The ones he takes will be spot up.
I don't think anyone is saying he shouldn't shoot threes, just that he shouldn't take contested threes. It's pretty obvious his offensive game will work best driving from the perimeter against man defenses and knocking down mid range shots against the zone.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
His game seems to be based on driving from the perimeter. Even if he can just shoot at a decent clip on wide open threes to keep the defender honest and open up the lane, that's big. He seems much more comfortable facing up from out there than with his back to the basket in the paint.
He isn't a traditional inside scorer. His game is probabably more tailored to a DD game except he can't shoot that well at the 3 pt line. He is a better dribbler than DD though so he can always try to beat his man and dish it out to one of our guards or take it to the basket.
I know but we need him to be a presence inside. We haven't had that since who a friend? AO? He can face up but imo stay inside the three.

Reaction Score
I know but we need him to be a presence inside. We haven't had that since who a friend? AO? He can face up but imo stay inside the three.
Well you might want to lower your expectations a little bit and maybe his ceiling can be a DD down low. He had more strength but less length than DD so it will be interesting to see what he does down low. I think the bigger need is rebounding and also the additional shot blocker. He will score but more on drives and put backs then on the block. I think SE has a better skill set to develop a post game.

Reaction Score

I don't want him under the basket not playing to his strength and clogging up driving lanes. He can and will play away from the basket.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Similar to the Terry Larrier thread I posted last week, there were only three available games of Shonn Miller playing for Cornell on espn3: South Carolina, Syracuse & Buffalo, all top 100 teams per KenPom.

TCF - Thanks on putting Miller's highlights together. I like how he attacks the rim, not afraid of getting fouled and makes use of his 80+% FT avg. He may very will be the best FT shooter on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom