Shirreffs: 20 carries for 34 yards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shirreffs: 20 carries for 34 yards

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I actually wish it was.

Think about it.

They've had these plays where BS gets to decide to pass or throw all season. It's, oh, 96% of the playbook. And 90% of the time, he runs. Doesn't go through progressions, doesn't try and look off coverage, he takes off.

Sherriffs did what he's done his entire career with that play, he didn't entertain the idea of throwing it. And Syracuse- a really well coached team- was absolutely certain that he would never throw it and they stuffed him.

And postgame, the coaches have the audacity to mention that it wasn't a straight designed run? That just confirms they're idiots.
All true.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You don't understand football.

I don't think you do either. The point of being a quarterback is to throw passes that land in your receivers' hands -- not to overthrow them, hurl fireballs that have no chance of being caught, or toss picks into coverage.

Shirreffs has had a disappointing year no matter how you slice it, but to think that this team would be better off with Boyle at the helm is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
How do you blame Verducci and Diaco? What percentage of those were designed runs?
From Jacobs' column:

Asked point blank if he made a commitment to get the ball out of his hands more, Shirreffs answered, "Yes. It wasn't a conscious thing, but looking back I definitely looked for check-downs more than I looked to make plays with my feet after a play broke down, because we had more designed quarterback runs.

"I was seeing the check-downs more clearly than I had been. I was able to get my progressions to the check-down, which is a credit to the offensive line. Sometimes in weeks prior, maybe I would maybe get to read one, two, feel something and move and run.''

Reaction Score
Also based on reading the post game quotes from BS, doesn't sound like that was a designed run

It didn't look like a designed run to me. It appeared to be a QB boot with a pass/run option. He had multiple receivers out on patterns along the back of the end zone. Sherrifs saw a sliver of daylight and made the decision to run.

Sherrifs had a poor game (Summers too watching the scoring plays you see him watching the backfield before starting his back-pedal allowing #7 to keep burning him). The ball was coming out poorly and often to hard on short throws and he over-threw several open deep shots. There were quite a few (too many) designed QB runs, but the 4th down play wasn't one of them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The play on fourth and goal should have been run on third down (also the third down call the play before the game FG should have been called on second).

We ran what appeared to be read-option jet sweeps with Newsome coming across the backfield from the slot I believe four times (there may have been a fifth). Each of the four times Sherrifs faked the handoff and ran, looking as if there was no intention of handing off. On three of those plays Newsome would have had at least three or four yards before any Cuse defensive player would have hit him (a miss would have led to a huge gain). Either the QB, the staff or both felt our QB was a better option on those plays than our RB.

C

Chief00

With BS if it's an option his brain quickly translates it into a run. He is a very undisciplined QB ironically from a mental approach perspective.

C

Chief00

Andre Drummond is better than Boyle. And ur An ass clown

Ha ha - have you
Boyle threw 12 INTs before he ever threw a touchdown. I'd prefer Verducci at QB over Boyle.

True his statistics were bad and I know that what most casual fans focus on. But, I wouldn't go by that since he had a new OC and QB coach every year and the coaching was over-all pretty poor.

Last season I really liked how he stepped up and release the ball in the pocket. He had a lot of drops because receivers were used to BS's low velocity throws.

Looked it's pretty clear now - BS supporters were very wrong.

Reaction Score
Ha ha - have you

True his statistics were bad and I know that what most casual fans focus on. But, I wouldn't go by that since he had a new OC and QB coach every year and the coaching was over-all pretty poor.

Last season I really liked how he stepped up and release the ball in the pocket. He had a lot of drops because receivers were used to BS's low velocity throws.

And Boyle isn't even good enough to play right away at Eastern Kentucky. Maybe their coach is a casual fan though.

Reaction Score
The Lagow kid threw for 500 yards yesterday, 3 TDs and 5 INTs

Amazing

Shirreffs > Boyle > Lagow

I can't imagine Lagow wouldn't be the best by now

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ha ha - have you

I mean, if you want every single offensive play from scrimmage to be either incomplete or a deep ball interception, then Boyle is your man. Maybe that's what you want so you can throw around more of your pretend expertise, Mr. Casual Fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom