Shirreffs: 20 carries for 34 yards | The Boneyard

Shirreffs: 20 carries for 34 yards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I don't blame him, I blame Verducci and Diaco. And I'm not sure the game demands much analysis beyond that statline.

I'll be surprised if this team wins five games.

Reaction Score
They love running him on 1st and 2nd down to set up 3rd and 8. Idiots

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Final statline was 21 carries for 27 yards b/c of the final drive. So "impossibly bad" actually got worse.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
How do you blame Verducci and Diaco? What percentage of those were designed runs?
Quite a few were.....I'd say at least a third of them today. Could be more....anyone?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Too many designed and way too many improvised by Shirreffs. I really think Anderson should get a shot. And they need to stop it with all the WR screens. We don't run it well.

Tyler Davis was open all day long and rarely saw the ball.

Reaction Score
Who cares? That 4th down run was designed and that was enough.

Also based on reading the post game quotes from BS, doesn't sound like that was a designed run

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also based on reading the post game quotes from BS, doesn't sound like that was a designed run
If that is true and I would give BS the Shoemate treatment.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

I actually wish it was.

Think about it.

They've had these plays where BS gets to decide to pass or throw all season. It's, oh, 96% of the playbook. And 90% of the time, he runs. Doesn't go through progressions, doesn't try and look off coverage, he takes off.

Sherriffs did what he's done his entire career with that play, he didn't entertain the idea of throwing it. And Syracuse- a really well coached team- was absolutely certain that he would never throw it and they stuffed him.

And postgame, the coaches have the audacity to mention that it wasn't a straight designed run? That just confirms they're idiots.

Reaction Score
And postgame, the coaches have the audacity to mention that it wasn't a straight designed run? That just confirms they're idiots.

To clarify, the quote i was referring to was BS:

On fourth-down play

"Going back, I would probably buy some more time and throw it to the back of the endzone. I came up short. The linebacker made a good play and I didn't. It came back to haunt us; it cost us the game."

I don't know what the coaches said.

Reaction Score
The QB read needs to go. BS can't throw on the run. Struggles with the deep ball.

OL still struggling for consistency.

I'm afraid what you see is what you get.

What I will say is that "stud QB" we have in the wings should have a real shot next year.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="What I will say is that "stud QB" we have in the wings should have a real shot next year.[/QUOTE]
I love the prospects of Williams being great, but if this offensive line doesn't improve drastically by next year, it won't matter who the QB is.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I'm afraid what you see is what you get.
What I see is that when we consistently target our tight ends, we're 1000 times more dangerous. It sucks the secondary in and opens up space for Thomas & Hergy, and at the same time it opens up space for Shirreffs when he does actually need to scramble.

Reaction Score
Oh yes, V & D were sending in wonderful plays and Bryant just screwed them up. Please.
Bryant faking to Newsome and gaining 2 feet is a wonderful play??? They did it time and time again late and it cost them. Wtf were they thinking?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
"Going back, I would probably buy some more time and throw it to the back of the endzone. I came up short. The linebacker made a good play and I didn't. It came back to haunt us; it cost us the game."

I honestly don't know what he is talking about....there was no thought of a pass on that plat. It was run all the way.

Reaction Score

I honestly don't know what he is talking about....there was no thought of a pass on that plat. It was run all the way.

From Daily Campus:

>>The Huskies responded with a lengthy drive of their own deep into Syracuse territory, including a fourth down conversion on a fake field goal, but Shirreffs was stuffed on the goal line attempting to carry it in on 4th-and-goal from the 2-yard line. It was interesting play call from the UConn coaching staff, which had just called for three unsuccessful runs on the preceding goal line plays.

“Going back, I would probably buy some more time and throw it to the back of the end zone. I came up short. The linebacker made a good play and I didn’t. It came back to haunt us; it cost us the game,” Shirreffs said of his decision on the crucial play, which Diaco confirmed to be an option pass.<<

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
From Daily Campus:

>>The Huskies responded with a lengthy drive of their own deep into Syracuse territory, including a fourth down conversion on a fake field goal, but Shirreffs was stuffed on the goal line attempting to carry it in on 4th-and-goal from the 2-yard line. It was interesting play call from the UConn coaching staff, which had just called for three unsuccessful runs on the preceding goal line plays.

“Going back, I would probably buy some more time and throw it to the back of the end zone. I came up short. The linebacker made a good play and I didn’t. It came back to haunt us; it cost us the game,” Shirreffs said of his decision on the crucial play, which Diaco confirmed to be an option pass.<<

It sure looked like a pure run....he never gave the hint of a pass on that play. But thanks for posting the full text....it does put it more in perspective... I think,they are full of BS and I don't mean our QB.

C

Chief00

Too many designed and way too many improvised by Shirreffs. I really think Anderson should get a shot. And they need to stop it with all the WR screens. We don't run it well.

Tyler Davis was open all day long and rarely saw the ball.

I agree guys were open - I said it last year and took criticism - Boyle had much greater upside. Not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom