Shane Nastahowski -Temple Owl | The Boneyard

Shane Nastahowski -Temple Owl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's Official...Shane Nastahowski is a Temple Owl...UCONN loses another top Connecticut recruit! Him and Matakevich will be a thorn in UCONN side for poor recruiting practices. Not even an offer .

Reaction Score
You guys have to come to grips with the fact that Milford Academy kids will never get admitted to UConn. Kids don't go to Milford to work on their football......Milford props up their grades for a semester to make them eligible at some schools and UConn admissions is not one to fall for their academic antics. For better or worse that is the story.

Reaction Score
That was not the academic case for this kid. He made a verbal to Akron and then there was a major coaching change. He waited for UCONN . They watched him and talked so don't be dissing Milford.

Reaction Score
Milford is a joke. Their academic year ends at the end of November when the football season ends. They have absolutely no winter or spring classes. Classes resume when football season starts. There are so many legit prep school options for kids who have the grades but want an extra year to develop. Milford, in my opinion is not a legitimate academic institution.

Reaction Score
Exactly right....we are not talking about Harvard or Yale!,,but top blue chip football players go to Milford. Look at all the Div 1 and NFL players coming out of there.

Reaction Score
Exactly right....we are not talking about Harvard or Yale!,,but top blue chip football players go to Milford. Look at all the Div 1 and NFL players coming out of there.

Because coaches at Syracuse, Pitt, Miami and other schools made admissions hold their nose and let them in the school. UConn is not taking that path which irks many on this board. Edsall tried with the academic ?, but gave up even trying. Pasqualoni had many failed attempts in last year's class (Dodds, Cunningham, Sylva) and continues to have difficulty with kids that are attending legit JUCO's. Accept the fact that UConn aspires to higher goals than Akron and Temple and will get there in appropriate fashion.

Reaction Score
It's Official...Shane Nastahowski is a Temple Owl...UCONN loses another top Connecticut recruit! Him and Matakevich will be a thorn in UCONN side for poor recruiting practices. Not even an offer .

Coaches didn't offer for a reason, we shouldn't get worked up about a guy that didn't get an offer. I hope he does well at Temple, but I have confidence that the people that make these decisions know more about recruiting than we do as fans.

Reaction Score
You guys have to come to grips with the fact that Milford Academy kids will never get admitted to UConn. Kids don't go to Milford to work on their football......Milford props up their grades for a semester to make them eligible at some schools and UConn admissions is not one to fall for their academic antics. For better or worse that is the story.
Kids don't go to Milford for academics anymore. When it was in CT, many kids would come to repeat their senior years, not the case now. Once a student graduates from HS his GPA is locked. The SAT's are the only thing he can improve.

Reaction Score
Kids don't go to Milford for academics anymore. When it was in CT, many kids would come to repeat their senior years, not the case now. Once a student graduates from HS his GPA is locked. The SAT's are the only thing he can improve.

Milford Academy is in NY, not CT.

Reaction Score
Milford Academy is in NY, not CT.
I know that, up until about 10 years ago it was in Milford, when the school went under Coach Chaplick moved it to New York. It went from being grades 7-13 to just 13(or post graduates).

Reaction Score
GODDAMMIT!
I was praying we would offer, because (I was told) he wouldve jumped at it.
And it wasnt a grades issue. This kid did well in school.
It was a Pasqualoni issue, who deemed him not good enough. Just like his FCIAC brother Matakevich.
Good luck to Nasty!

Reaction Score

Exactly. Milford was the primary prep school for Yale, for about 80 years. Yale, since the mid 90s, has since moved on and has a couple of prep schools that they farm. Milford was a full time, academic secondary school with commuters and boarders. It was in Milford, CT, up to I think 2003. The leadership from the early 90s on or so ran he place literally into the ground. By 2001 or so, about a decade a go, the school was literally days away from shutting its' doors for good, and closing up shop for good. Health code violations, building code violations, delinquency in every form of debt service, the school was a disaster. The local community basically put up an ultimatum, and were willing to buy out the property, renovate, etc, but the school would have to pay back the bonding. Instead of taking that on, the school packed up, re-dedicated it's mission, and moved to NY.

Chaplick has been there through it all, and has done a phenomenal job, of building a post-grade secondary level (post high school) educational instituation that is 100% football oriented and geared toward taking kids that have graduated high school, but aren't NCAA eligible for scholarship, and getting them NCAA eligible. That's the school's mission now, in a nutshell, and they're good at it, and they're successful financially now, and htey have produced many good players, some of which have gone on to very impressive colleges, and made it to the NFL.

But, the fact is, that nobody is going to MIlford Academy, after high school, unless they didn't get the work they needed to get done in high school. This kind of thing is not unique to Milford, schools like this exist all over the country.

Milford lists the University of Connecticut as a destination school that graduates have gone on to, but I honestly can't recall right now, who we've accepted on scholarship to play football from there. Anybody know?

The other fact, is that NCAA eligibility requirements, are not the same, as individual university admission requirements, OR requirements mandated by conference level administration.

With regards to the Big East conference, and the future of UConn football, the rules and regulations of admission requirements, for scholarship athletes, is a HUGE,,,,,HUGE part of establishing a new conference structure, and Lord help me, I hope that Warde isn't asleep at the wheel on this.

As for Mr. Nastahowski - as I said yesterday - I wish him the best in his future in getting a college education as a student-athlete. It's always good to see a local kid get the ticket.

Reaction Score
GODDAMMIT!
It was a Pasqualoni issue, who deemed him not good enough. Just like his FCIAC brother Matakevich.
Good luck to Nasty!

How do you know this? What reason is there to think that there is some kind of personal problem with Pasqualoni and recruiting kids out of western CT? It' been alleged that there was some kind of error in the recruiting process for this young man. I have yet to see what that is - aside from actually not giving the kid a formal scholarship offer. Was he ignored by UConn? Was he misled? Love to see somebody actually come forward and state what happened, if it's more than just being annoyed that no formal offer was actually extended.

My gut tells me, that the vast majority of people that have opinions on such matters, really have no idea whatsoever what the recruiting process really is.

THe other fact, is that this kid's primary positon, is a position that Pasquloni has taking the past two years to re-stock with a whole bunch of studs. THere isn't a big need for linebackers in this recruiting class and we've got two lined up already, that aren't too shabby, one of them a CT kid, and another CT kid - that transferred in from FL last year too.

We aren't going to be able to keep all the CT players at home, especially if they want playing time.

Best of luck to Mr. Nastahowski, I"m sure he'll like playing at Rentschler field.

Reaction Score
GODDAMMIT!
Good luck to Nasty!

Here is the fair, intelligent way to make your point: "I know that BC, Syracuse and Rutgers didn't offer this kid either, but I've seen him play and I really wish we had offered him because I think he will be an impact player at the BCS level."

Instead, you manage to imply that our staff duck*ed up, when no one else in what we consider to be our recruiting peer group saw the kid's future any differently than P did. That does not make P (or the peer group) right. One is never right all the time when one is making predictions. But it makes you look either irrational, self-interested or just not that smart to imply P did something dumb when he did exactly what the other coaching staffs in our recruiting peer group did by not offering the young man.

And again, if you (or anyone) says something that makes me come to P's defense, you can conclude you've gone too far. Because I'd love it if the next kind thing I had to say about P was written at the end of next season and started with "Well, our coach is a good man who gave it his best shot but luckily he is now our former coach."

Reaction Score
People are so over the top that they have people like myself, BL, and whaler defending the staff.

Is the angst because Matakevich came to the Rent last year and stuck it up P's with 20 tackles or something? Are people equating the two different situations?

Reaction Score
bl, the only thing I don't completely agree on is the final statement. While I don't expect it, I would be thrilled to be saying next December "I didn't think it possible, but Pasqualoni turned the whole thing around this season..."

Reaction Score
bl, the only thing I don't completely agree on is the final statement. While I don't expect it, I would be thrilled to be saying next December "I didn't think it possible, but Pasqualoni turned the whole thing around this season..."

Fair enough. That would make in fact make me happier, and I would be pleased to say P proved me wrong. But, as I've said before, I would be very happy if Jennifer Anniston came to my house tonight to do me and my wife offered to make us a good dinner first. Just because it would make me happy doesn't mean it's worth talking about. And I view a significant turnaround this year, with our graduation losses and our schedule, as extremely unlikely.

Reaction Score
Can this thread be combined with the thread in UConn Football? If possible, that would be great because it's getting confusing....before anyone cracks any jokes....it doesn't take much to confuse me!!!

Reaction Score
Fair enough. That would make in fact make me happier, and I would be pleased to say P proved me wrong. But, as I've said before, I would be very happy if Jennifer Anniston came to my house tonight to do me and my wife offered to make us a good dinner first. Just because it would make me happy doesn't mean it's worth talking about. And I view a significant turnaround this year, with our graduation losses and our schedule, as extremely unlikely.

I'd bet a lot more money on the former than the later. You're really making it sound a lot more remote than it is. ;)

Reaction Score
I'd bet a lot more money on the former than the later. You're really making it sound a lot more remote than it is. ;)

I have predicted solid seasons the last two years and the staff has made me look stupid. I am now pessimistic until proven otherwise.

Reaction Score
According to CT Post, he has the opportunity to walk-on at Temple, however because of a shoulder injury he is not in school for the spring semester and will try to make the team over the summer. Maybe the staff knew what they were doing by not offering the kid a scholarship, especially since no other big east team offered. I'd like to know if we offered him a walk-on chance like Temple.

Reaction Score
Accept the fact that UConn aspires to higher goals than Akron and Temple and will get there in appropriate fashion.
It appears to me the NFL likes the players we are producing.

Reaction Score
According to CT Post, he has the opportunity to walk-on at Temple, however because of a shoulder injury he is not in school for the spring semester and will try to make the team over the summer. Maybe the staff knew what they were doing by not offering the kid a scholarship, especially since no other big east team offered. I'd like to know if we offered him a walk-on chance like Temple.

Interesting development... consider the beating the staff took here from some folks.

Reaction Score
And now two words about Milford Academics -- Kenny Tinney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom