shane day | The Boneyard

shane day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
what are your thoughts on him? can we make him OC on monday? i asume warde and him are michigan buddys...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
7511851.jpeg

He looks like he's 28 (he's probably 35, graduated in '99). He looks like he should be peering into a microscope down the hall from my lab. He looks like he could be the bass player for Death Cab For Cutie.

Can he call plays better than DeLeone? Probably.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
7511851.jpeg

He looks like he's 28 (he's probably 35, graduated in '99). He looks like he should be peering into a microscope down the hall from my lab. He looks like he could be the bass player for Death Cab For Cutie.

Can he call plays better than DeLeone? Probably.

he has whitmer going in the right direction with delone trying extremely hard for the kid to fail. must be something good going on right?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I guess it would be a bit of a risk but maybe one worth taking. Fire GDL and see what Day can do, give him the reigns for the rest of the season. If he shows promise and the kids support him give him the job full time next year. Like what Warde is doing with KO. Unfortunately at the moment the call to fire GDL rests with PP, so I don't expect him to do that mid-season.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is merely a guess but considering that he an NFL level QB coach position for a collegiate level QB coach position, there had to be some mention as to what the future could hold for him to come here.

I imagine he was brought here to work closely with DeLeone for a couple of seasons and then take over when George retired. Hopefully this will be expedited soon.

Reaction Score
what are your thoughts on him? can we make him OC on monday? i asume warde and him are michigan buddys...

actually, his resume is pretty good. he was a quality control coach (for offense) with SF for 3 years, was in charge of game planning and practice preparation. he's coached rb ol and qb positions, and worked under Mike Martz.

Reaction Score
I think since our QB is playing so well, this is a no brainer. (sarcasm alert)

Reaction Score
Assuming GDL was going to be fired or demoted (he isn't), why would we bypass Foley?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Assuming GDL was going to be fired or demoted (he isn't), why would we bypass Foley?

i would be interested in seeing what he could do also. i just see day as a super young guy who could be the youth we need at the oc position. foley did good things on the uconn staff for a while now but he didn't exactly set the world on fire at colgate years ago. giving day some time to see what he has, if he turns into something positive he could be here for a long time. imagine DB taking over for a bunch of years then eventually handing the HC position to day who was our OC for years. could be a great building block for this school. its all about giving him 6 games to try and see what happens type idea.

i would be very happy with db/day/hank next week as our sideline. i think its worth a shot to see what the season brings with them in control. then in december we can search and decide about our future. the other half of it is keeping the recruit momentum we had. i think i hung onto P here more than most becuase i saw good things starting to happen on the trail. something i follow more than others.

Reaction Score
i would be interested in seeing what he could do also. i just see day as a super young guy who could be the youth we need at the oc position. foley did good things on the uconn staff for a while now but he didn't exactly set the world on fire at colgate years ago. giving day some time to see what he has, if he turns into something positive he could be here for a long time. imagine DB taking over for a bunch of years then eventually handing the HC position to day who was our OC for years. could be a great building block for this school. its all about giving him 6 games to try and see what happens type idea.

i would be very happy with db/day/hank next week as our sideline. i think its worth a shot to see what the season brings with them in control. then in december we can search and decide about our future. the other half of it is keeping the recruit momentum we had. i think i hung onto P here more than most becuase i saw good things starting to happen on the trail. something i follow more than others.

What does "youth" have to do with it? He's going to be better because he's younger? We don't "need youth at the oc position" we need "quality".

You've got a hell of an imagination, I'll give you that.

pj

Reaction Score
If Day was hired with the plan of making him OC following an imminent GDL retirement, then that's great news, let GDL retire at the end of the season and let's see what Day can do.

Personally, I like PP a lot, my only trouble is with GDL. I think the offense has enough talent to produce a lot more yards and points than it has, and underproduction of the offense is his responsibility.

If Day becomes OC and QB coach, Foley takes back the line, Clayton White could take tight ends and special teams, and we could bring in a new RB coach who played the position and might help us recruit backs better. That could solve 3 problems at once (OC, OL, RB).

Reaction Score
If Day was hired with the plan of making him OC following an imminent GDL retirement, then that's great news, let GDL retire at the end of the season and let's see what Day can do.

Personally, I like PP a lot, my only trouble is with GDL. I think the offense has enough talent to produce a lot more yards and points than it has, and underproduction of the offense is his responsibility.

If Day becomes OC and QB coach, Foley takes back the line, Clayton White could take tight ends and special teams, and we could bring in a new RB coach that might help us recruit backs better. That could solve 3 problems at once (OC, OL, RB).

Sounds like getting rid of GDL would solve a ton of problems. Warde better get it done. GDL has to go!

Reaction Score
he didn't exactly set the world on fire at colgate years ago.

Just to set the record straight here, while it's true that Coach Foley wasn't a great head coach at Colgate (pretty early in his career relatively speaking), as an offensive coordinator at Colgate (1998-2005), he oversaw one of the best offenses at the FCS level. 5 Patriot League titles, 7 FCS playoff appearances, 3 FCS top 5 leading rushers (nationally), and always, a very productive offense that mixed the power game and the read option very effectively.

Don't believe me, check his UConn profile or do some digging on Colgate football over the past decade.

And HFD, while I admire your passion, you've really moved from passion to insane over the past 36 hours...

Reaction Score
Foley produced 6 first-team All-Big East linemen, two of whom are playing in the league. The arrogance of moving him out of a job where he had proven, consistent success is mindboggling. Two years ago, Edsall was smart enough to realize he couldn't do it all. Too bad GDL doesn't seem the type to come to the same conclusion and let a proven professional do the job.
After what we've seen in the first six games I don't see how much harm it would do to let Day call the plays.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I guess it would be a bit of a risk but maybe one worth taking. Fire GDL and see what Day can do, give him the reigns for the rest of the season. If he shows promise and the kids support him give him the job full time next year. Like what Warde is doing with KO. Unfortunately at the moment the call to fire GDL rests with PP, so I don't expect him to do that mid-season.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

As I understand it, Calhoun pulled a Dean Smith on Manuel. We'll see how it turns out, but KO is Billy Guthridge to Calhoun's Smith.

Back on Point, Manuel cannot force Pasq.'s hand, at least until the end of the year. He runs the risk of not only having a hard time getting a coach worth a damnmn, but the recruiting will probably fall off as well. No one will want to work for an underminding AD. Likewise recruits will have always have it in the back of their mind, "Who actually has control?"

There is no wonder - from me - why Manuel issued that vote of confidence a couple weeks ago.

Reaction Score
Not advocating canning PP right now, but I don't see how doing something with GDL - take away OLine, playcalling, or even firing - ould scare good future candidates off. Ambitious coaches aren't babies, they understand big boy college football is a performance business.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not advocating canning PP right now, but I don't see how doing something with GDL - take away OLine, playcalling, or even firing - ould scare good future candidates off. Ambitious coaches aren't babies, they understand big boy college football is a performance business.

Make no mistake that if Coach Pasq. has his druthers, he will do nothing and you know it. His hand would have to be forced by Manuel. Ambitious coaches are ambitious for a reason. They want to to prove they can run a program as The MAN. How can an ambitious coach do the job he wants/need to do if he is constantly feeling Big Warde over his shoulder?

It is my opinion that Manuel will not force Pasq. hand and that "vote of confidence" is only good for about 2 2/3 more months.

Reaction Score
IMO only a few really well-established coaches (Urban, Saban, Chip Kelly, Spurrier) don't have worry about the AD breathing down their necks. Hell, even Mack Brown and Bob Stooops arent immune.

Husky25

Reaction Score
All of those coaches you just listed have job security DURING THE SEASON. Even Charlie Weis had a job until November 2010. The reason? Pulling the plug on a season at the mid-point sends a clear message to the current players, recruits, fans, and donors: WE GIVE UP!!!! If you do it once as a program, there is a possibility it will happen again. You can no longer go into the next 4-star athlete's living room and say you never gave up because you did in 2012.

Regardless if the BCS (Which no longer exists as presently set up in 2014) considers the Big East a power conference. It is a major-major in basketball. Forget Shaka Smith (potentially). Manuel would have a hard time convicing Tom Moore to come back. He would be an emptier suit than Hathaway was at the end of his tenure if he goes over Pasq. head in anyway before the end of the season and UConn's revenue generating athletics would sink lower than Boston College's.

Reaction Score
Honestly, do we have any reason to think Day would be better at calling the plays than Husky Fan Dan?

Maybe Whitmer should just go no huddle and be given free reign. Would be a good growing experience if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom