Sha'ki Holines Commits to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sha'ki Holines Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
why not pile on? i wish our qb commit had mac offers like the rest of our commits wha wha wha

oh wait he just got named to a team of dream recruits. u have to look at star/offers/where/when and many more things to judge a class. some thing like offers weight more than others but in total i stand by my uptick theory because i'm seeing it and i think some others are also.
Jim Fuller@NHRJimFuller
#UConn football commit Richard Lagow named QB on National Underclassman Combine first team

link

i can go on and on with things
the past 2 years we have actually landed a ct kid each year with other big time offers. thats progress. is it killing it? no but its progress.
i can't wait to the day when we get a nj kid with a ruty offer, were close to doing that. that klecko kid who chose ruty came down to them and us and visited us and had a tough decision. did u know that?
we got texas kids thinking about us and a qb from texas
were getting kids from florida with sec offers, yea thats right.
were taking good steps in nyc also.

With regards to NJ. It will take a little more time to repair after Edsall. He still cant recruit there at UMD

Texas, We have had starters from there. Lagow is a nice get.
We have had kids from Fla with SEC offers, not just this year.
Very Hopeful in NY, Hoping for more DC area too.

I believe we had an uptick a couple of years ago. P has held it up so far and with a different type recruit. I do believe he is bringing in those that are a little more protypical for postion. If we go soley by their Rivals Ratings, P had a better start this year but kids like Myers, Stapleton and hopefully Fuchs that werent rated at the time of their recruitments, I can see having very succesfull carreers here like a Jesse Joseph or Sio Moore. Fatukasi seems like a Shamar S. Part II. I also think the one thing that will get us to the next level recruiting wise is to win with the players we got, we need a 10-11 win season(s). It happened with our conference foes, and it will it will happen to us.

Reaction Score
Dan,

there are posters on this board who are simply negative and no matter what happens find the black cloud on the sunniest of days. You can keep trying to persuade them, but my guess is they will pick out the examples that fit their argument and continue on the path of self-loathing.

Reaction Score
Dan,

there are posters on this board who are simply negative and no matter what happens find the black cloud on the sunniest of days. You can keep trying to persuade them, but my guess is they will pick out the examples that fit their argument and continue on the path of self-loathing.

Disagree with this. BCU is laughed at and mocked by those on this very board when they get a commit with an offer list like Maine and UMass. Because someone simply states that they personally don't see the uptick that others keep trumpeting does not mean they are a black cloud Fortebleedsblue wannabe. I'm concerned with the offer list of some of our guys as well. I don't consider myself a pessimist because I don't drink the Kool Aid.

I tend to reserve judgement on a recruiting class until their services are on display in college games.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Disagree with this. BCU is laughed at and mocked by those on this very board when they get a commit with an offer list like Maine and UMass. Because someone simply states that they personally don't see the uptick that others keep trumpeting does not mean they are a black cloud Fortebleedsblue wannabe. I'm concerned with the offer list of some of our guys as well. I don't consider myself a pessimist because I don't drink the Kool Aid.

I tend to reserve judgement on a recruiting class until their services are on display in college games.

So I don't disagree with your statement, Jimmy, but I am wondering; are people considering the transfers that he is getting as part of "recruiting"?

I think they should, because the transfers to this point have been very impressive. We were able to get Graham Stewart back home from the Gators. Shakim Phillips looks like he has the chance to be a really good one from BC. Mateas will be playing right away from Penn State. Chandler Whitmer is self-explanatory. Donohue looks to be a pretty good linebacker from Maryland. And we had, in principle, Bryce McNeal from Clemson until he didn't meet the grad qualifications. I hope I'm not leaving anyone out. Most of these guys are immediately in the 2-deep!

So if you couple that along with the slight uptick in 3-star recruits, I would say that the recruiting job that Pasqualoni is doing is very solid.

Reaction Score

I think it is great to wait to see production before evaluating a class, but if that were the case you would not care a less who else recruited them, if anyone. I don't see how you can can say I am not excited about a kid with regional offers only and then say I wait a few years. What does an offer list have anything to do with production on the field. Who in the starting lineup for Thursday's game had an offer list that excited you?

Reaction Score
Like I said....I have no idea if there is an uptick or not because I tend to judge these classes after they hit the field. That being said.....I'm looking at our commits and their offer lists and I don't see any noticeable difference at all. Some people act like we've never beaten out other BCS programs for recruits before.

Reaction Score
So I don't disagree with your statement, Jimmy, but I am wondering; are people considering the transfers that he is getting as part of "recruiting"?

I think they should, because the transfers to this point have been very impressive. We were able to get Graham Stewart back home from the Gators. Shakim Phillips looks like he has the chance to be a really good one from BC. Mateas will be playing right away from Penn State. Chandler Whitmer is self-explanatory. Donohue looks to be a pretty good linebacker from Maryland. And we had, in principle, Bryce McNeal from Clemson until he didn't meet the grad qualifications. I hope I'm not leaving anyone out. Most of these guys are immediately in the 2-deep!

So if you couple that along with the slight uptick in 3-star recruits, I would say that the recruiting job that Pasqualoni is doing is very solid.

and P did all of that in his first year back during a year of conference chaos. Without question an uptick. I think he is just putting more effort into it then his predecessor.

Reaction Score
I think it is great to wait to see production before evaluating a class, but if that were the case you would not care a less who else recruited them, if anyone. I don't see how you can can say I am not excited about a kid with regional offers only and then say I wait a few years. What does an offer list have anything to do with production on the field. Who in the starting lineup for Thursday's game had an offer list that excited you?

Because I tend to trust the evaluations of other big time programs more than I trust Mike Farrell. And it's the only measurable that I would lend any credibility to during the recruiting process.

Reaction Score
"I haven't committed yet, but it will be soon," said Holines.

Can someone who understands and follows the recruiting scene more than I do explain to me WTF this means?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
who? not trying to get at u but just curious. i'm pretty sure difton was from fl and our 2nd biggest recruit ever behind the fuma kid that also ended up doing nothing for us but difton i think didn't get sec offers. the fuma kid had a bama offer but he wasn't from fl i dont think. i just dont remember landing fl kids with sec offers before. not getting at u just interested in this...

RE's best recruits ever(on paper/offers/stars)
-fuma lb forget name
-gratz
-bennett
-difton
that's off the top of my head remembering big gets. PP hasn't brought in a offer list like those had i think if i remember correctly, but hes bringing in more kids with at least some other relevant offer bcs/nbe depending on your views of things. the big fish will come in time. if i remember correctly bennett's class was like him and 20 2* guys. which class would you rather have...

THREAD NOTE- read the free rivals article on holiness. flipping today, were his dream school, have been for a couple years...

This is by no means a comprehensive list, but I found a few that we beat the SEC out for (confirmed offers from Rivals, though not all players are from Florida):

Jarell Miller (2007) - South Carolina, Alabama
Jarvis Hicks (2006) - Auburn, Florida
Donnell Ford (2003) - Kentucky
Harold Stanback (2003) - South Carolina
Matt Lawrence (2003) - South Carolina

There may be more, but I didn't have to time during my lunch break to check out everyone. If anyone else knows of more, feel free to add to the list...

Reaction Score
This is by no means a comprehensive list, but I found a few that we beat the SEC out for (confirmed offers from Rivals, though not all players are from Florida):

There may be more, but I didn't have to time during my lunch break to check out everyone. If anyone else knows of more, feel free to add to the list...

Portee had an Auburn offer.

Reaction Score

thanks Dan97

Hicks and Ford are the Florida guys, also,
Carl Teague South Carolina
Imannuel Hutcherson Vandy
Jhavon Williams Kentucky
Maybe others have to look

Jimmy,
Reminds me about Portee he was from Ga, we had a few recruits from there that had SEC offers.
As far as highest rated recruits, people forget Kit Pommells who was a 4 * from NJ, *8 S,
Our most highly rated postion players along with Pommells have been Eric K at C, Stanback at FB all in top ten. Losing Pommells and Dorcelus from that class really hurt us in NJ.

Reaction Score
thanks Dan97

Hicks and Ford are the Florida guys, also,
Carl Teague South Carolina
Imannuel Hutcherson Vandy
Jhavon Williams Kentucky
Maybe others have to look

Didn't Ashiru also have offers from Vandy and Stanford?

Reaction Score
-williams is PP
-hutcherson is a good one, he fits the criteria i'm after.
-dont remember teague

my point is that were doing it more often now with PP. at best RE had a handful over 10 years that fits that certain criteria(which is not a big deal but a bit telling), meanwhile PP has 3 in two years so far.

Sorry Dan,
thought you were talking about this year, Think Teague got lost in the Beer Gate thing too.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Miller was enrolled at UNC first, right? I don't remember the details.

Reaction Score
Jimmy,
It was Vann that had a Stamford offer. Ashiru had Ole Miss and Miss. State both good gets.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
i think he was a big time recruit of of hs, went to unc then fuma then uconn then dropped out before playing.

Miller has to go down as our biggest recruit, from a "recruiting ranking" standpoint. I believe that he was the only player that we have ever landed that played in the US Army All-American game. Of course we had one or two other four-star players that have been mentioned (Difton), and for some reason, I thought Jamie Dixon was a four-star at the time, but now he is listed as a three-star. Must have been that UConn "down-bump" that Rivals pulls sometimes...

Reaction Score
Ashiru not only had a Stanford offer, he visited there the week after he committed to UConn.

Reaction Score
read in a pay message board on rivals that Holines to UCONN is now official... message was posted a little after 8:15 this morning

Reaction Score
read in a pay message board on rivals that Holines to UCONN is now official... message was posted a little after 8:15 this morning

Dez had it too right about same time...

Desmond Conner@desmondconner
Sha-ki Holines, a 6-3 240-pound Defensive end de-commit from #UMass is a #confirmed #UConnFootball commitment for #2013

Reaction Score

How "official" is any verbal - particularly from a kid that has already decommitted once. Let's just say that we are now his current verbal and see what happens.

Reaction Score
From the rivals article: "They kept it honest with me. The only thing I was waiting for was an offer. Even when I was committed to UMass, they kept in contact and treated me like I was not committed."

Great job by the staff. Keep working to get these kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom