SG Hamidou Diallo (UConn Offer) | Page 50 | The Boneyard

SG Hamidou Diallo (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Amore has stated multiple times that he could potentially reclassify to 2016, including just last week, its definitely not just Boneyard speculation

Reaction Score
Not questioning you, but I couldn't find any info from the coach. The only concrete info I found is that Diallo is on pace to graduate in 2016 and he would consider it; that was almost 5 months ago. Everything after that is just message boards giving it legs.

Diallo was originally a 2016 recruit and reclassified to 2017 when he transferred. His stock has exploded over the last 12 months, and he's gotten a ton of top high-major offers. By all accounts, he's still on-pace to graduate this year. There are quotes in this very thread from Diallo that he's going to have to make a decision. If you can't find any indication that he might reclassify, you're not looking hard enough.

Reaction Score
Diallo was originally a 2016 recruit and reclassified to 2017 when he transferred. His stock has exploded over the last 12 months, and he's gotten a ton of top high-major offers. By all accounts, he's still on-pace to graduate this year. There are quotes in this very thread from Diallo that he's going to have to make a decision. If you can't find any indication that he might reclassify, you're not looking hard enough.

To be fair, he only said he hasn't seen anything from his coach - which I didn't provide and am basing on an often faulty memory.

Reaction Score
To be fair, he only said he hasn't seen anything from his coach - which I didn't provide and am basing on an often faulty memory.

He said
^ This... I don't think it has ever been reported anywhere else that Diallo was even considering it.

It's been reported a number of places, and for good reason. There is ample evidence that Diallo is a prime candidate to reclassify to 2016, up to and including Diallo himself saying that he's considering reclassifying to 2016.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
If Purvis does leave like expected, I would think we'd either go for a grad transfer 2 guard or try and get Diallo to reclassify. I love Gilbert but asking a 5'10 freshman point guard to start on a team that wants to compete for a championship is a tall order.

I hope Cassell improves a lot this year and is ready to really contribute in his final year of eligibility. He won't get many opportunities to score this year so hopefully he takes a page out of Giffey's book and makes himself an efficient producer in limited FGA.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If Purvis does leave like expected, I would think we'd either go for a grad transfer 2 guard or try and get Diallo to reclassify. I love Gilbert but asking a 5'10 freshman point guard to start on a team that wants to compete for a championship is a tall order.

I hope Cassell improves a lot this year and is ready to really contribute in his final year of eligibility. He won't get many opportunities to score this year so hopefully he takes a page out of Giffey's book and makes himself an efficient producer in limited FGA.
I hate creating pressure for a freshman, but I think Gilbert has the goods to lead the team as a freshman. He wouldn't be the first one to come to UConn with that ability and that height.

Reaction Score

I think it will be easier for Alterique based on the fact he will have Jalen next to him though. He should impact immediately upon arrival he has the tools and personality I believe.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I hate creating pressure for a freshman, but I think Gilbert has the goods to lead the team as a freshman. He wouldn't be the first one to come to UConn with that ability and that height.
There's still a good amount of risk there. That's a backcourt of Adams, Gilbert, and Cassell. Gonna need someone else unless Hamilton stays and plays the 2, both of which won't happen.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There's still a good amount of risk there. That's a backcourt of Adams, Gilbert, and Cassell. Gonna need someone else unless Hamilton stays and plays the 2, both of which won't happen.
No arguments about the need for an additional player at the position. Just advocating a belief Alterique is a special player.

Reaction Score

They will have 3's who can handle too but I think they cold use another guard potentially a 5th year or something.

Reaction Score
For those of us that like to read way too much into what's happening on social media. Hami and Alterique started following each other on twitter today.

Considering our need for a SG, why did we stop recruiting Bruce Brown? He's unbelievably talented. His cousin is on the team. He was quoted not too long ago saying he hoped UConn would start recruiting him again. hmmm

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
For those of us that like to read way too much into what's happening on social media. Hami and Alterique started following each other on twitter today.

Considering our need for a SG, why did we stop recruiting Bruce Brown? He's unbelievably talented. His cousin is on the team. He was quoted not too long ago saying he hoped UConn would start recruiting him again. hmmm

Kevin Ollie must have his reasons, and I trust him.

Reaction Score
Seems more and more likely Bruce Brown was somebody UConn wanted only for 2015 and not for 2016.

As an aside, it's strange how Brown's recruitment has been kind of stagnant after a solid summer - Indiana has been the one constant HM involved, and then the next school you see associated with him is UMass.

Reaction Score
It's strange how little interest there is for a top 50 recruit, it seems like it's between Indiana and UMass.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Maybe Indiana has had him in the bag for awhile? Kinda like how no one recruited Enoch cause they knew he was coming here.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
The Vermont Academy coach could have also done something that made KO sour on him.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The Vermont Academy coach could have also done something that made KO sour on him.

This is an interesting possibility. I remember last spring there were rumors of a pipeline being developed. Now, Tyrique Jones and Samuel Japhet-Mathias are committed elsewhere and we're not involved with Brown anymore. It's also worth noting that VA has had a bunch of recruits with high-major offers transfer out over the past couple of years: Sedee Keita (PSA), Christian Vital (STM, UNLV commit), K.J. Santos (Sunrise Christian in KS). Who know what's going on there?

Reaction Score
This is an interesting possibility. I remember last spring there were rumors of a pipeline being developed. Now, Tyrique Jones and Samuel Japhet-Mathias are committed elsewhere and we're not involved with Brown anymore. It's also worth noting that VA has had a bunch of recruits with high-major offers transfer out over the past couple of years: Sedee Keita (PSA), Christian Vital (STM, UNLV commit), K.J. Santos (Sunrise Christian in KS). Who know what's going on there?
Interesting. We're only guessing, but maybe KO just didn't feel he was the best fit and simply have interest in other two guards or saving it for 2017. Maybe KO knows that HamD is in the bag. Or maybe KO knows there's some bad smoke going on up there and is staying clear of recruits from that program. Who knows? Brown's recruitment is very strange though.

Reaction Score
This was from ESPN over the summer, his recruitment as a top 50 player is a bit odd

n this day and age "offers" are handed out to high school hoop stars at a rate that causes even the most casual college basketball fan to question the validity of this action. At the Fullcourt Press Cream of the Crop, BABC (Boston Area Basketball Club) star Bruce Brown stated that he had more than 40 offers. However, when asked about which of those 40 had coaches frequently showing up to his games at the Cream of the Crop, he offered only three: UMass, Indiana, and Boston College.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ya, but what are the reasons? It's a good question.

The Vermont players weren't good enough.

I get the reservations with Brown - I think he's a useful player, but he's a high school power guard.

He's not "unbelievably talented". He doesn't shoot very well and doesn't handle the ball that well - that is the kind of player who doesn't always translate well in college once they're not bigger/stronger than the opposition.

Earlier this year, there was a 'top 100' player who was deciding between Rutgers and Boston College. If you're deciding between those two schools, you're not actually a top-100 player. I think the same carries for Bruce Brown - it is what it is.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The Vermont players weren't good enough.

I get the reservations with Brown - I think he's a useful player, but he's a high school power guard.

He's not "unbelievably talented". He doesn't shoot very well and doesn't handle the ball that well - that is the kind of player who doesn't always translate well in college once they're not bigger/stronger than the opposition.

Earlier this year, there was a 'top 100' player who was deciding between Rutgers and Boston College. If you're deciding between those two schools, you're not actually a top-100 player. I think the same carries for Bruce Brown - it is what it is.
Then why did we recruit him? Why is Indiana recruiting him?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Then why did we recruit him? Why is Indiana recruiting him?

Maybe they thought his game would develop more over his high school career...and it didn't.

From Fishy's description he almost sounds like a poor man's Briscoe.

Reaction Score
Maybe they thought his game would develop more over his high school career...and it didn't.

From Fishy's description he almost sounds like a poor man's Briscoe.
He's not like Briscoe who is a point guard with a really tight handle, Brown is a shooting guard who wants to switch to being a point guard but it ain't happening for him, needs too much work on handle and passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom