SF Mario Kegler (Mississippi State Commit) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

SF Mario Kegler (Mississippi State Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Or maybe their coach is a good recruiter?

I'm sure most Maryland fans would admit that this isn't Turgeon alone, and that Under Armour is a major factor in their recruiting. The question is whether dirty methods are being employed.

Since shoe/apparel companies are almost always above board in their dealings with college recruiting and Turgeon's coaching mentor is Larry Brown, everything's probably as clean as a whistle.

Reaction Score
If anything shady is going on in Maryland, I doubt anything happens to them. Nike has been a major factor in the success of Oregon Football. Has Oregon ever gotten in trouble? My guess is the Nike/UA teams are not stupid. Don't do anything dumb. Don't say anything dumb. And in the event they do something dumb, the threat of an onslaught of lawyers is more than NCAA investigators are equipped to handle. The NCAA has no stomach for a real lawsuit. They are bullies. They will only fight Universities and students who are at the mercy of the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I'm sure most Maryland fans would admit that this isn't Turgeon alone, and that Under Armour is a major factor in their recruiting. The question is whether dirty methods are being employed.

Since shoe/apparel companies are almost always above board in their dealings with college recruiting and Turgeon's coaching mentor is Larry Brown, everything's probably as clean as a whistle.

Love your sense of humor. That is so funny.

Maryland is Dirty with a capital and bold D.

Reaction Score
jesus are you bumping every recruit thread and asking if 'we can get him'? just read the threads and youll get a idea of where the staff stands. This isn't reddit you dont get a TL; DR

Reaction Score
jesus are you bumping every recruit thread and asking if 'we can get him'? just read the threads and youll get a idea of where the staff stands. This isn't reddit you dont get a TL; DR
bruh

Reaction Score
bruh
you read my mind. this is my reaction to when posters bump threads 'asking for inside info'.

20140711-140227-50547944.jpg

Reaction Score
It's not that simple, though. Many of us don't have the time follow all the HS scouts and not miss any info. I for one certainly don't have time to read through 15 pages of a thread. I hop on here during breaks, before bed, etc. Furthermore, those youngins and madmen who do follow it closely often claim to (and often do) have inside info. Not saying you do any of this necessarily, but if BY recruiting guys don't want to be bothered, simply keep the info close until it breaks or don't reply. We will get the point that it's not anyone's job to main-line secret info into our UConn junkie veins if that is truly the case.

This kind of sniping "Bruh...BRUUUUUH" makes the board worse.

If nothing has come out in a long time, I get what you're saying. But this is a 5 page thread, and there is less than a total page worth's of stuff to read of info that has come out even in the last month. Yeah, it's not a huge deal, but you really should make SOME effort before asking, no? People will tend to post any info on here - you see what anyone else sees. It's not like anyone here is waiting for someone to ask about them before sharing info.

With me not knowing anything at all except looking back literally 1 page, I have found out: We have a high/probable chance at getting an official visit which gives us a shot. Many think it's an outside shot. Maryland <3's UA and UA <3's Maryland back.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It all might be revenge for us stealing Rudy Gay.
If I had a dollar for every time a Maryland fan brought that up in a UConn-related discussion.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
As for Maryland and the UA money. If anyone follows NBA closely they will see that in the last 2-3 years Under Armor has REALLY stepped up its marketing, especially in the basketball market. Big player signings like Curry and making that outrageous offer to Durant to steal him from Nike are them trying to shake up the status quo. With that comes the art of locking down talent young and early like Nike has been doing for ages, and that comes with funneling tons of money to the guys that mentor these kids (AAU coaches) to gain influence at one level, then to funnel them to your flagship university (Maryland) much like Nike does with Oregon to add a secondary level of influence. After that, for kids like Diamond Stone, it's hard to leave the UA circle after graduation and in the pros. It's a long term investment in the sport and it's not going away anytime soon.

What can UConn do to keep up? I've said this ad nauseum but market its brand. Make UConn more attractive in the media, to the players, and in the athletic clothing/accessory market. Soon enough players will come here for similar reasons.

Reaction Score
From MD 247 site:
Per Kegler's guardian and AAU coach, Omhar Carter, Maryland has continued to prioritize the 6-foot-7, 225-pound small forward. In fact, it's one of just two schools sure to get official visits.

"It's Indiana, it's Maryland, I've got to check if UConn is still on the list. Indiana and Maryland on the two that are definitely on the [visit] list," Carter said. "We're in the process of doing that right now and getting all the dates. [Maryland] gave me a few dates and we're getting everything down."

Reaction Score
I like Kegler a lot, but we have Larrier in the fold (we often forget), and are still pushing hard for Wenyan at the 3. Kegler could also be a small ball 4, which we kind of have in a different way with Juwan, who is more of a traditional stretch 4, and taller. He'd be great to get, and I still think it's worth the effort, but he probably sees that it could be a squeeze as well. I'm not sure why we don't seem to be prioritizing Powell more though - he fits a direct need and would seem to be ours to lose if we pushed hard.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I would still like one of Gabriel, Kegler, or Jackson. My fear is we spread ourselves too thin between the three of them and end up with none of the three.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
From MD 247 site:
Per Kegler's guardian and AAU coach, Omhar Carter, Maryland has continued to prioritize the 6-foot-7, 225-pound small forward. In fact, it's one of just two schools sure to get official visits.
"It's Indiana, it's Maryland, I've got to check if UConn is still on the list. "
Translation: dear UConn, send some $$$ so you can stay on the list.

Reaction Score
I really really wanted Kegler. But then we got Larrier. I'd still like to get him (who wouldn't) but UConn will be alright if he goes elsewhere. Best of luck to the kid though.

Reaction Score
Quite an interesting list of schools. I feel like he has changed his list quite a bit, much like Mustapha Heron. Several people I have talked to have repeatedly said that UConn decided to move on from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom