SF Mario Kegler (Mississippi State Commit) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SF Mario Kegler (Mississippi State Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd love to get Gabriel but who is our center if Brimah goes pro? I think a center should be a priority and I'm not hearing us linked to a lot of them. Although we should be loaded at PF with Diarra, Facey, Enoch and even 3's like Larry and dham that can play that spot. Maybe some of these guys grow and play the 5

I think with the size of our PF's we could play multiple bigs to make up for not having a "true" center if it works out that way.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'd love to get Gabriel but who is our center if Brimah goes pro? I think a center should be a priority and I'm not hearing us linked to a lot of them. Although we should be loaded at PF with Diarra, Facey, Enoch and even 3's like Larry and dham that can play that spot. Maybe some of these guys grow and play the 5

I would like a center too. Wouldn't Gabriel overcrowd us with 4 PFs?

Reaction Score

I think that Diarra likely ends up playing mostly C for us. He's got the reach and the physicality for it. He needs to put on a little weight, but height-wise he's basically the same size as Okafor.

Reaction Score
I think that Diarra likely ends up playing mostly C for us. He's got the reach and the physicality for it. He needs to put on a little weight, but height-wise he's basically the same size as Okafor.

Agree and he has the frame to be rather large and strong if he wants to be and works at it. He may be only 6-7 or 6'8 but he is long and could be a nice space-eater, seems really tough too.

Reaction Score

I think there's a much better chance of Enoch playing center. He's 2 inches taller and has a longer reach.

Reaction Score
I agree we could get along covering the 5 position with multiple bigs if Brimah leaves, but I think he will stay to get stronger. I would also say that our market for 5's is better in 2017 than 2016 which looks like a weak crop at the 5 from the guys I have seen. A 4 like Gabriel is a different dimension than our other 4/s. Enoch and Facey are passive bigs that play in the flow, they can shoot but don't often. Diarra seems to be an energy big that scores as a result of relentlessness and rebounding and brings a more aggressive tougher attitude. Gabriel is a big that looks to score and be important to the offense, he has good size, can shoot, and seems like a perfect compliment to the others. I would agree that we don't need a 4 with limited versatility, but I think he is value added.

Reaction Score
I think there's a much better chance of Enoch playing center. He's 2 inches taller and has a longer reach.

Have you watched their games at all? Diarra is post player on offense and defense. Enoch plays face-up a lot of the time.

pj

Reaction Score
We could use a skinny 7'2" shotblocker to add some diversity in the post. But basically, we should be in good shape in the post, especially if we got Wenyen Gabriel. You need 5 big men or maybe 6 if you have a combo forward or two like Larrier (or Deandre Daniels, or Daniel Hamilton). With Gabriel we'll have the right number (Facey, Enoch, Diarra, Gabriel; Larrier as a combo; Brimah if he comes back would make 6) and they'll all be quality, versatile players.

Reaction Score
Have you watched their games at all? Diarra is post player on offense and defense. Enoch plays face-up a lot of the time.

Not looking to get in a pre school BY fight but Enoch is much taller, longer and more fit for the 5 position. It's pretty obvious to anyone that's watched basketball for more than 20 minutes. Diarra will likely never play the 5 unless sparingly, but Enoch will play a lot there.

Reaction Score
Diarra has a 5's game in a 4's body and Enoch is the opposite. Chukwu is plan A at center for this class.
I'm not convinced that Chukwu would be a starter. He has a long way to go. I see Enoch more as a 4 with decent shooting range.

Reaction Score
Not looking to get in a pre school BY fight but Enoch is much taller, longer and more fit for the 5 position. It's pretty obvious to anyone that's watched basketball for more than 20 minutes. Diarra will likely never play the 5 unless sparingly, but Enoch will play a lot there.
what are you talking about now a days there is no four or five its just bigs in general and if we're talking about the big that's going to be in the post more it's clearly going to be Diarra

Reaction Score

But what about his short neck? Do we really want a short-necked guy playing the 5 for us?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
what are you talking about now a days there is no four or five its just bigs in general and if we're talking about the big that's going to be in the post more it's clearly going to be Diarra

Hold on. I think you will be getting your period soon.

Reaction Score

Yes. I've thought this all along. He just needs to add some muscle and then, watch out.

Diarra has a 5's game in a 4's body and Enoch is the opposite. Chukwu is plan A at center for this class.

I'm not as sold on Chukwu as others are. I'd much rather have a front court of Enoch, Wenyen, and Diarra.

Reaction Score
I'm not sold on Chukwu being a stud either, but part of that might be because PC has a terrible coaching staff. I'd still take him because we have a bunch of scholarships and I don't know any other centers we're on at this point.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe Pascal Chukwu or could Enoch play center?

Reaction Score

I've watched it for 21 minutes and taller and longer doesn't automatically fit the position better. So was Deandre Daniels!

There have been some pretty good centers over the years in the Big East who weren't tall or long and manned that spot pretty well. I have no doubt with guys like Enoch and Diarra we will be fine if need be.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not really, one of those guys would play the 5.

I know Danz but I want an prototypical center or an AB type. I'm very enthusiastic about our team but some of the optimism reminds me of last year.
We are assuming that a power forward, a high school player with no track record in the NCAA will become our starting center. Possibly in his freshman year. It may happen and we made need to adjust to it. But I wouldn't plan it that way.
Don't know that Chukwu is the answer, but I want our next big man to be a center.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I know Danz but I want an prototypical center or an AB type. I'm very enthusiastic about our team but some of the optimism reminds me of last year.
We are assuming that a power forward, a high school player with no track record in the NCAA will become our starting center. Possibly in his freshman year. It may happen and we made need to adjust to it. But I wouldn't plan it that way.
Don't know that Chukwu is the answer, but I want our next big man to be a center.
Yeah, get diallo and Gilbert first. Then make it a priority to get a true 5. We have enough spacing we need someone big down low. Not saying you don't get the best player you can but I would love to get a true five like we always used have

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
On the topic of Gabriel, I see him playing as a bit of a stretch 4, perhaps spelling TL his freshman year. Or you never know, TL could shift to the 2 if KO decides he wants to go big for a period of time. I know that we're used to going small and not going big, but it's good to have variety in order to best suit whomever we're playing against.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I've seen Wenyen Gabriel and I think this board is a bit too high on him.

He doesn't have the SF/wing skills of someone like Deandre. He's a stretch 4 who probably has more in common with Facey than Daniels. A welcome addition, sure, but I think he'll find a better fit for himself than UConn unless he really is most concerned with winning a NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom