SF Brendan Bailey (Marquette Commit) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

SF Brendan Bailey (Marquette Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I haven't once heard of a recruit committing after a mission. They want a guaranteed (LOI-wise) place that they know will have a spot for them on the team when they come back. After two years, there's no telling which coaches will still remember them/not be busy with high schoolers.

A letter of intent is meaningless as a guarantee for a kid going on a two-year mission.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
A letter of intent is meaningless as a guarantee for a kid going on a two-year mission.

The one little thing it does is change the amount of time you are allowed to contact the player. With an LOI, you can stay in touch constantly, through dead periods, etc. Without one, they are just another recruit. It helps to give you a leg up on the next cycle (which of course may not matter).

Reaction Score
I definitely don't think we should stop recruiting him. By the time he would be a freshman, Larrier and Diallo will most likely be on the closing chapters of their collegiate careers. So once those two are gone, Bailey would step in and be our SF alongside Adams and Gilbert in the backcourt. Ollie should lock this guy up so we have our wing player/shooter of the future.

Reaction Score

There is a new trend of only doing one year. I have had a few student's who did one year and do a agreement to do a second year before 40. (More progressive view)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is a new trend of only doing one year. I have had a few student's who did one year and do a agreement to do a second year before 40. (More progressive view)

Okay.

A letter of intent is meaningless for a kid doing a new-fangled one-year mission.

Reaction Score
Not sure why anybody wouldn't want a kid like this in our program. A talented player from great pedigree that is putting others before himself, sure sounds like someone I want at Uconn.
"Putting others before himself"... I don't think thats what the mormon missions are all about. Aren't they just trying to convert people around the world to Mormonism. Proselytizing naive self righteousness is the worst.

Reaction Score
Okay.

A letter of intent is meaningless for a kid doing a new-fangled one-year mission.

Just passing on info. There has been issues for Mormon kids and colleges not hold spots for them right after high school.

Reaction Score
This whole thread is about religion.. We want players to buy into Uconn.. not be a PR moment for your religion.. Is UConn basketball #1 or #2 in your life?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This whole thread is about religion.. We want players to buy into Uconn.. not be a PR moment for your religion.. Is UConn basketball #1 or #2 in your life?

Thankfully you aren't setting the standards for our boys.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Any kid who can shoot like this kid deserves an open invitation, no matter how long it might take him to get here!

Reaction Score
"I highly doubt UConn basketball is number 1 in even Kevin Ollie's life."

Besides family obviously...it better be.. I don't want Uconn basketball to be third in any of our recruits life.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Yeah, that's silly.

I'm good with third through fifth.

It shouldn't be first, second or third - we'll let them set those for family, grades and religion, if they'd like. Fourth is obviously Shark Week.

So, officially, we want kids who put UConn hoop fifth.

PS - Potential recruits - please keep religion out of it because it bothers some nitwit on the internet. Thanks!

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's silly.

It shouldn't be first, second or third - we'll let them set those for family, grades and religion, if they'd like. Fourth is obviously Shark Week.

PS - Potential recruits - please keep religion out of it because it bothers some nitwit on the internet. Thanks!

You're wrong...Kids need a couple points of focus..not 5 You accept Uconn to be #3-5 along with their Ipad and Twitter? Between religion, family, and team., Uconn needs to be top 2 for 2-4 years. K O would agree, even if he wouldn't admit that.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's silly.

If Shark Week isn't a top five priority in their lives, I question their heart, judgment, and commitment to what makes America great. Let those kids go to Kentucky or Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt UConn basketball is number 1 in even Kevin Ollie's life.
I highly doubt UConn basketball is number 1 in even Kevin Ollie's life.
You're right...he might say otherwise... KO is a spiritual man, as am I. But what a person spends most of their time doing says something about their priorities. #1 OR #2

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
You're not allowed to play fullcourt, or any leagues. But you can play half-court all day long and lots of them do. I suspect Bailey will shoot a million jumpers over the next 2 years.
So was it Joseph Smith or Brigham Young, who mandated no full court but half court is fine? What a joke smh
Also stupid Mormon rule #265: swimming is outlawed on missions. There's crazy, but the Mormon's take it to another level

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
These aren't religious restrictions.

People on missions are supposed to devote their energy to the missions so competitive sports are restricted. They don't want their missionaries to be too tuckered out, so no swimming, no strenuous exercise, no keeping score in games, etc., etc.

I'd say it's straight from the old-timey school of thought that had boxers' wives banned from training camps to 'save their legs'.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ok that's a good one. Shawn Bradley and Brendan Bailey's case is in way similar. Bradley a 7+ footer who was a shoe in to make the league. Bailey, while a very nice looking prospect is not guaranteed anything.

Anyway my point is that while it certainly can happen, you don't see it happening for obvious reasons

At least Bailey looks like he could end up at more than 110lbs.

An aside, googling 'Brendan Bailey UCONN' reveals this pic (4th one in):

5260.jpg

You stalking @Stairmaster?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You're right...he might say otherwise... KO is a spiritual man, as am I. But what a person spends most of their time doing says something about their priorities. #1 OR #2

Do any of these things really have to have a ranking? It's not like they are mutually exclusive.

Depends on the time of day for me.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So was it Joseph Smith or Brigham Young, who mandated no full court but half court is fine? What a joke smh
Also stupid Mormon rule #265: swimming is outlawed on missions. There's crazy, but the Mormon's take it to another level

Back in the day, many Mormon missions in Africa and South America were near alligator/crocodile infested waters. The rule was simply for pragmatic reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom