SF Alpha Diallo (UConn Offer) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

SF Alpha Diallo (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With much more offensive ability.;)

Lyman had a rep for scoring coming out of high school. He was a high level athlete and a top recruit for UConn. He quickly realized lots of guys can score on the court. His path to 20 mpg was going to be defense.

C

Chief00

I know he has the athletic ability that some of us want, but does he have the power strength we need?

Good question. The answer is found in his work habits - which at this time is an unknown to me. Additionally, I do think he has a body type, that with appropriate strength training, he could be explosively powerful for his position. Let's not misunderstand the power strength is needed at the 4 and 5 positions - not as critical but still nice to have at the 2,3 and 1. I have covered my views on the UConn MBB strength coaching in other posts which apparently you have read and concur with, hence your question.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
With one scholarship, I was arguing about the need for a big over a PG. With 2 scholarships, I thought we would get one of each.
That said, I like AD. Grab him. He seems to have the intangibles we really needed this year. We will have to trust in Enoch & Diarra playing substantial minutes

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He would be a good change of pace player who could play a couple of positions. He would be a good get at this time

Reaction Score
Official visit to Providence on April 8.
Official visit to Florida on April 25.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Official visit to Providence on April 8.
Official visit to Florida on April 25.

Florida makes me nervous. I read earlier today that Devin Robinson is thinking about entering the draft, so that'd create a similar opening there for immediate playing time.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Florida is always really good at recruiting raw athletes. Their strength and conditioning program is one of the best in the nation and they've had a ton of guys like Alpha go their in recent memory and explode physically and become good players as well.

Reaction Score
I would much prefer Reinhart and Ollie reeling in a monster 2017 including wings. I get the feeling diallo is not very good, a bit of a tweener and not much bounce. But I mean it is what it is, beggers can't be choosers.

Reaction Score
I would much prefer Reinhart and Ollie reeling in a monster 2017 including wings. I get the feeling diallo is not very good, a bit of a tweener and not much bounce. But I mean it is what it is, beggers can't be choosers.
Agree 100%. A Dham for Diallo swap is a huge net negative.

Reaction Score
It's gonna be that way for pretty much anyone we sign this spring.
Not necessarily. If we add Larrier plus a 5th year senior that can contribute, that sum can be greater than DHam. Alpha Diallo plus anyone does not equal to the contribution DHam would provide for this team next year.

There is a huge reason why we were interested in Diallo so late. Its not because he would make us better. More of desperation.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. If we add Larrier plus a 5th year senior that can contribute, that sum can be greater than DHam. Alpha Diallo plus anyone does not equal to the contribution DHam would provide for this team next year.

There is a huge reason why we were interested in Diallo so late. Its not because he would make us better. More of desperation.

The kid is a 4* recruit just out of the top 100 about to visit an up and coming Providence and Florida. You're acting like he's some kid Ollie saw at the YMCA

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The kid is a 4* recruit just out of the top 100 about to visit an up and coming Providence and Florida. You're acting like he's some kid Ollie saw at the YMCA
Yup. Dude is ranked 107th in the nation according to 247. The guy who just won NPoY, Denzel Valentine, was ranked 105th as a senior

There's plenty of talent to be found outside the top 30 if you have the patience and skill to develop it. While I'm not 1000% sold on Diallo, I am satisfied if KO is.

Reaction Score
It's in no way a dham for Diallo swap. dham left. He left. No swap, no trade. He's gone. So what does KO do now? That's the question. This comparing is a waste of time. Who are the best players KO can get to support the guys we have coming back.
And it's not like we are looking for a starter or someone to play 30+ minutes. Any wing coming in will be splitting time with Terry and Vance.

Reaction Score
It's in no way a dham for Diallo swap. dham left. He left. No swap, no trade. He's gone. So what does KO do now? That's the question. This comparing is a waste of time. Who are the best players KO can get to support the guys we have coming back.
You are correct because we have to bolster this roster now and do we know what Rodney is going to do?

Reaction Score
You are right. It is a waste of time. Diallo isn't coming here.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think we're set at the wing for next year. As it was, things were going to be crowded with DHam, Larrier, and Vance all fighting for minutes at the 3, and none of them a great fit at any other position. I'd much rather see us go after a guard for next year, maybe two.

Reaction Score
I think we're set at the wing for next year. As it was, things were going to be crowded with DHam, Larrier, and Vance all fighting for minutes at the 3, and none of them a great fit at any other position. I'd much rather see us go after a guard for next year, maybe two.
I don't think we are set at any position at all. We could use another rebounder, another ball handler and another shooter couldn't hurt and we have three open scholarships. If there is a good wing prospect out there who has some of those attributes I think we should showing some interest.

Reaction Score
Don't get stuck that Alpha Diallo is just another 3 added to Larrier and Jackson. Alpha Diallo can easily play 2G against most teams and slide to the 3 in a 3 guard set a la Jeremy Lamb, or Richard Hamilton. Physically think Kromah or Calhoun. He doesn't shoot as well as Lamb did from deep, and I haven't seen the little tear drop runner, but he is deadly pulling up from 12-15' and very adequate from deep, and a better ball handler than Purvis, Kromah or Calhoun are/were. He can even play spot duty at the point in a pinch like Richard Hamilton did his freshman year when we had injuries, or Daniel Hamilton in high school when there were injuries. He can be a 'utility infielder' to back us up at the 1-4 with the 2-3 being his position He has Kromah's versatility with a better shot and handle. Plus he has a strong will to dig in and fight and would really give us the opportunity to play a pressure defensive package at times like many have wished could return. Plus, he tends to play without fouling. With Brimah, Enoch, Facey, and Gilbert's aggressiveness, is there any chance at least 3 of the 4 won't be on the bench with 2 fouls in the first half. Ollie is going to have many games with strange lineups in the last 10 minutes of the first halves. Daniel Hamilton's versatility to play with the ball or under the backboard allowed us the dimension to adjust to foul trouble in the front court or backcourt, or wing. Given the potential for foul trouble I think a versatile player like Alpha Diallo is a must for 1 of our remaining scholarships, and, like Giffey, I think we would be thrilled with him as years go by. With Hamilton gone I don't view him as being redundant to any player on the team. Our bigs are bigs, our guards are guards, our wings are big wings, we could use a 'Mr Versatility'. Plus he is just plain good enough.

Reaction Score
Don't get stuck that Alpha Diallo is just another 3 added to Larrier and Jackson. Alpha Diallo can easily play 2G against most teams and slide to the 3 in a 3 guard set a la Jeremy Lamb, or Richard Hamilton. Physically think Kromah or Calhoun. He doesn't shoot as well as Lamb did from deep, and I haven't seen the little tear drop runner, but he is deadly pulling up from 12-15' and very adequate from deep, and a better ball handler than Purvis, Kromah or Calhoun are/were. He can even play spot duty at the point in a pinch like Richard Hamilton did his freshman year when we had injuries, or Daniel Hamilton in high school when there were injuries. He can be a 'utility infielder' to back us up at the 1-4 with the 2-3 being his position He has Kromah's versatility with a better shot and handle. Plus he has a strong will to dig in and fight and would really give us the opportunity to play a pressure defensive package at times like many have wished could return. Plus, he tends to play without fouling. With Brimah, Enoch, Facey, and Gilbert's aggressiveness, is there any chance at least 3 of the 4 won't be on the bench with 2 fouls in the first half. Ollie is going to have many games with strange lineups in the last 10 minutes of the first halves. Daniel Hamilton's versatility to play with the ball or under the backboard allowed us the dimension to adjust to foul trouble in the front court or backcourt, or wing. Given the potential for foul trouble I think a versatile player like Alpha Diallo is a must for 1 of our remaining scholarships, and, like Giffey, I think we would be thrilled with him as years go by. With Hamilton gone I don't view him as being redundant to any player on the team. Our bigs are bigs, our guards are guards, our wings are big wings, we could use a 'Mr Versatility'. Plus he is just plain good enough.
He seems like a really good zone buster at the free throw line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom