Semi OT: Boo UConn! | The Boneyard

Semi OT: Boo UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
UConn sues Clinton High School Huskies for trademark infringement. I understand and agree with trademark protection but in this case a lawsuit seems bit heavy handed. LINK

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How to build good will in the state. :mad::confused::mad:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Poor judgement. Legal department over-ruling PR department?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
There's a more substantial story here:

http://www.courant.com/news/education/hc-morgan-huskys-1023-20121022,0,2086719.story

I only read of a cease and desist and a willingness on both parties part to work to resolve the issue. I don't see the term lawsuit. One of the challenges with trademarks, logos and the sort is that you need to prove that you defend them. If you do not, over time, competitors and other parties can use your lack of vigorous defense and the fact that you let others "use" your marks as a way to be able to use them as well. I am not an attorney, so I can't speak to it in the legalese, but I do know that my marketing clients need to be proactive and address every apparent infringement on their property. I can be fairly confident that UConn did not want to take this action, but they would be foolish not to.

UConn appears to be very willing to be reasonable and helpful. This can be a good lesson in the way the real world or marketing plays for students at both schools.

My biggest criticism would be to WFSB for its shoddy reporting. They quote a high school student and a Clinton resident in the roles of persecuted little guy without giving more detail on the potential consequences for UConn not defending its property. It makes it look like UConn is running roughshod over a little high school without detailing the issues. Also, the video version has an almost identical quote coming from a town official that is attributed to someone else in the print version, so I don't know if that was a mixup. However, the video is fun to watch to see the painfully long pauses between the satellite feed and the field reporter getting the okay to start.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But couldn't UConn strike a licensing deal with Clinton and still defend their trademark and support an in state high school.

Reaction Score
UConn sues Clinton High School Huskies for trademark infringement. I understand and agree with trademark protection but in this case a lawsuit seems bit heavy handed. LINK

Where have you seen the word "sue" come into play. UConn has been quite specific that there would be no legal action

“We’re not looking for changes overnight, and there’s going to be no legal proceedings,” said UConn athletics spokesman Michael Enright. “We’re looking for them to eliminate it from uniforms and so forth … and basically come up with a new logo that doesn’t serve as copyright infringement.”

http://nhregister.com/articles/2012/10/23/news/shoreline/doc5085b39012285625970004.txt

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
"Reasonable and helpful" would be to offer to license the logo to Morgan HS for $1 a year "and other valuable considerations"

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
"Reasonable and helpful" would be to offer to license the logo to Morgan HS for $1 a year "and other valuable considerations"
We can't say that. We don't know what agreements UConn may have with apparel and merchandising companies and how they are structured for exclusivity. A merchandising company apparently is one of the players in this situation.

An attorney would be able to tell you how that affects their intellectual property -- licensing to another school.

I do know that I would not want to open that licensing route if I were UConn. Who keeps track of the high school's merchandise? What happens when another Connecticut high school asks if they can use the logo as well? My son's middle school's mascot is a husky. Can they get the same deal? If not, why not? Who administers all of that? It just gets too messy, in my opinion.

My high school mascot was a bear. I couldn't tell you what his pose is or how he is drawn, and I attended every basketball and football game during my four years there, plus many of the lacrosse games there for four years after I graduated. It's not a big deal to make the change and move on.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The word sue was used in a radio news report this AM. The reporter said he read about it in the San Fransisco Chronical (I didn't check that). His spin was that the story portrayed UConn as a bully. I agree.
There was also an interview with either the Clinton HS principal or maybe the mayor. Based on what they had to say UConn was not being helpful and cooperative. Things may have changed since the story started getting coverage or someone from the UConn PR deptartment intervened.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Exactly, JRRRJ. That is the kind of agreement I was suggesting.
It would accomplish UConn's goals and build goodwill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom