Self-assuredness or stubborn arrogance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Self-assuredness or stubborn arrogance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
I agree with you that a process and next year is better, so long as there is actually a process! So the answer is, "Yes, I would feel that much better about an Army win, because it would tell me that with an extra week to prepare, this coaching staff could game plan one of the worst teams in D-1." The fact that they couldn't doesn't fill me with hope for there being a true process. Nobody hopes they are wrong more than I do. Nobody hopes that they eat crow more than I do. I hope we go 13-0 next year (literally, not '97). And if we have a great turnaround, I will be the first on the board to eat my words, I promise you that. It's not in my nature to be negative. But in the immortal words of Poison; "Give me something to believe in..."

We might have won that game if the refs didn't make a bad call. Or we called a timeout. Or Whitmer tossed it out of the endzone.

When you are mediocre team you win and lose games at the margin. Our fiesta bowl team could easily have been 5-7. And P could have been 7-5 each of this first two years. Handful of plays each game.

We have been mediocre pretty much forever. We are now less than that. But not so much less that we can't recover.

Reaction Score
I don't like that Ashiru and Abrams left the team during the season. To me that may be the lowest point of this season because it points to players that have put in time here not believing in what's going on and not wanting to work hard enough to make it better. Whether that's on the coach or the guys that left is up to the rest of the locker room to decide but sometimes a coach may have to go an extra mile to turn a couple bad apples. A good coach knows which bad apples to cull and which ones to try and save. This barrel is getting pretty empty though... 61 - 2.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We might have won that game if the refs didn't make a bad call. Or we called a timeout. Or Whitmer tossed it out of the endzone.

When you are mediocre team you win and lose games at the margin. Our fiesta bowl team could easily have been 5-7. And P could have been 7-5 each of this first two years. Handful of plays each game.

We have been mediocre pretty much forever. We are now less than that. But not so much less that we can't recover.

You mean we could have tied the game if Whitmer tossed it out of the endzone. Not won. We still had an overtime to go in order to try to get that win. And if not for Whitmer's heroics prior to that moment and an onside kick recovery, we aren't even talking about "1 play".

But having said all that, I hope you are right that we can turn it around. I hope you're right that we can recover...

Reaction Score
You mean we could have tied the game if Whitmer tossed it out of the endzone. Not won. We still had an overtime to go in order to try to get that win. And if not for Whitmer's heroics prior to that moment and an onside kick recovery, we aren't even talking about "1 play".

But having said all that, I hope you are right that we can turn it around. I hope you're right that we can recover...
Momentum was in Uconn's favor. Whitmer did a fantastic job of putting his team in position to tie the game. Yet Whitmer's Satanic twin brother reared his ugly head and that was the ball game.

EDIT: Maybe satanic is a bit extreme, but the two different players Whitmer can seem to be are tough to deal with.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Momentum was in Uconn's favor. Whitmer did a fantastic job of putting his team in position to tie the game. Yet Whitmer's Satanic twin brother reared his ugly head and that was the ball game.

EDIT: Maybe satanic is a bit extreme, but the two different players Whitmer can seem to be are tough to deal with.

No Whitmer, and we get crushed in that game. Anyone that doesn't get that is kidding themselves...

Reaction Score
Exactly my point. Now you understand why I'm upset with the coaching staff...
They got beat. They got beat. Whitmer started, he played and they got beat. They didn't give the game away nor did they get out coached. They got beat. Two pivotal turnovers produced by said QB himself led to points for the other team in both instances. So no, I do not understand.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
They got beat. They got beat. Whitmer started, he played and they got beat. They didn't give the game away nor did they get out coached. They got beat. Two pivotal turnovers produced by said QB himself led to points for the other team in both instances. So no, I do not understand.

You don't understand because you don't understand the fact that we only ran the ball 16 times with our running backs against an undersized Army D. You don't understand that we played our safeties 15 yards off the line of scrimmage against a team that almost exclusively runs the triple option. You don't understand that the only reason we were at the 5 yard line at the end was because of an onside kick recovery and Chandler running...I said "running"...for over 40 yards in the final drive, including crunching 3 defenders at the 5 yard line. You don't understand because yet again, Chandler wasn't the only QB that game, and he had at least 10 snaps taken away from him.

Maybe one day, you'll understand...

Reaction Score
You don't understand because you don't understand the fact that we only ran the ball 16 times with our running backs against an undersized Army D. You don't understand that we played our safeties 15 yards off the line of scrimmage against a team that almost exclusively runs the triple option. You don't understand that the only reason we were at the 5 yard line at the end was because of an onside kick recovery and Chandler running...I said "running"...for over 40 yards in the final drive, including crunching 3 defenders at the 5 yard line. You don't understand because yet again, Chandler wasn't the only QB that game, and he had at least 10 snaps taken away from him.

Maybe one day, you'll understand...
I respectfully disagree.

I guess I have become overly optimistic and you have gone to the dark side. You were one I could count on, sharing optimism and enthusiasm for the road ahead. Don't worry, this team won't miss your now negative attitude but will welcome you back when you decide to change.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree.

I guess I have become overly optimistic and you have gone to the dark side. You were one I could count on, sharing optimism and enthusiasm for the road ahead. Don't worry, this team won't miss your now negative attitude but will welcome you back when you decide to change.

You can't welcome someone back who never left, my friend. I've never left the team. I never will. It's not their fault...

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree.

Are you this much of a doosh in real life?

Reaction Score
You can't welcome someone back who never left, my friend. I've never left the team. I never will. It's not their fault...
Sad to know I stand (theoretically) beside someone that supports this program with such a decidedly negative view compared to my own. While it always can't be peaches and cream, flowers and butterflies, lows happen, teams go through periods of instability and ineptitude. In my lifetime, Uconn has yet to go through this until the past 2-3 years. I am a Raider fan and a Red Sox fan. I have been through success, I have been through heart ache, I have been through disappointment and failure, of course all as a fan. But again, that is the case here. I remain optimistic, positive, and my vision continues forward. To say my life as a fan of most major sports the past 10-12 years has been a roller coaster doesn't even touch the full extent of emotions expended during that time. I will steadfastly stand by this program and cheer them on until the very last second I have to cheer. This goes for Football, Basketball (both M/W) among other sports. You can take me out of CT, but you can't take CT out of me.

This program is headed in a direction better than most think. Time and patience is necessary. I understand it is hard to come by thanks to the past 3 seasons prior to Diaco. Hold out hope. Remove yourselves from the negativity that is highly contagious. In life I am far from a negative person. I don't like those that carry a negative attitude day to day. This bothers me. I just hope this is a resulting emotion from most on here and not a permanent mind set moving forward.

Reaction Score
Will you be selling those magic glasses on ebay? I'd like a couple of pairs in case one breaks.

Reaction Score
Will you be selling those magic glasses on ebay? I'd like a couple of pairs in case one breaks.
Yours are fogged. Mine are clear. But if you want to hit the bong, we might be able to work something out.

Reaction Score
Most coaches have to earn that arrogance, which is why many of us are shaking our heads. As for the press conferences, I think the reporters are finally asking some real questions and not just accepting pablum and writing it down.
A friend of mine who is a ND grad and huge football fan warned me when he was announced as the new HC. He said, "Get ready for some weird Press Conferences". So evidently that's part of what he brings to the table through good times and bad times. Just hope the good times are just over the horizon somewhere. Happy Thanksgiving and safe traveling to all.

Reaction Score
Yours are fogged. Mine are clear. But if you want to hit the bong, we might be able to work something out.
What, you still have yours?

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they have given up hope on our school. It just means they aren't accepting what we've seen with the blind faith you apparently have. And it truly is blind faith. Diaco has never done it before, if he had been a successful head coach somewhere else, anywhere else, even in high school you could latch onto that, but he hasn't so stop getting mad at other fans who are doubting him, we are entittled.

Reaction Score
Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they have given up hope on our school. It just means they aren't accepting what we've seen with the blind faith you apparently have. And it truly is blind faith. Diaco has never done it before, if he had been a successful head coach somewhere else, anywhere else, even in high school you could latch onto that, but he hasn't so stop getting mad at other fans who are doubting him, we are entittled.

This post needs more likes.

Reaction Score
You need to give Diaco more than this season to prove his worth, especially after the players lost from last year's team. He needs another recruiting cycle. To judge him on this season is premature. HCRE was practically run out of College Park his first year down there. He's now turning that ship around, but it wasn't a quick fix either.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You need to give Diaco more than this season to prove his worth, especially after the players lost from last year's team. He needs another recruiting cycle. To judge him on this season is premature. HCRE was practically run out of College Park his first year down there. He's now turning that ship around, but it wasn't a quick fix either.
Give him next year, the year after, the year after... Doesn't matter, really. But by the time he gets it right, college football very well may pass us by and no one will be left cheering except the particularly sadistic amongst us.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
This post needs more likes.

Thanks, appreciate it. Guess you didn't get the memo that because my user name is a reference to our coach's hair that I'm just a troll whose posts should be ignored.

I make no bones about it, Diaco alarms me. I didn't like hiring a guy who had never been a head coach. I didn't like the car salesman double speak that some others saw as wild enthusiasm. Maybe they were right, maybe I was, who cares, we both are entitled to our opinion. Alarm bells went off with that embarrassing starting QB announcement, I've been following football for 45 years and I've never heard such nonsense in my life. But, okay, it's all just talk, doesn't matter once BYU comes to town. And then after that bizarre game, with crazy substitutions all over the place, changing QBs in the red zone, the lack of preparedness, the alarm bells turned into sirens. And to read after the game that he was so concerned with sleeve length and sending guys off the field during pregame....what? Actually, more like WTF!!! And mostly it has gotten worse since, so that's where I come from.

It's early in his tenure, we all realize that. But it appears only some of us realize that not every coaching hire, especially first-timers at the FBS level, work out.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I just want Coach Diaco to doing an honest self assessment after the season and make the necessary changes. Part of being a good leader is admitting when you are wrong.
I had been wondering about this myself. Do they do an assessment after every game. Is this where having Don Patterson on the staff helps? I would really be interested in knowing how they assess and evolve in their positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom