Season 2023/2024 German Soccer | The Boneyard

Season 2023/2024 German Soccer

Reaction Score
I have seen nothing this year about the Bundesliga, or much of any German soccer at all, except the MNT's friendly at Rentschler although I know we have a number of fans of German teams here.

I follow the team in Regensburg, SSV Jahn, which was demoted after last season to the 3. Liga/third division, but has finished the first half of the season in first place. The coach is an American, Joe Enochs. He was hired for the last couple of games last season and has recently renewed his contract.

If my septugenarian memory serves Jahn Regensburg underwent a complete revamping of its roster and staff with 18 new players this year, the new coach, and a new club operations director, who is a former coach of the team prior to moving up to be manager at Köln, Mainz, and Leipzig. To me this all indicates there is an extremely broad pool of competent players and managers that make the third division a fully professional league.

Regensburg has had a habit of having good early season performance and then faltering, but right now, with Dresden in a close second, have opened up a lead in the table to head into the winter pause.

Reaction Score
It's good to see Jahn having more success this year. If it keeps playing out like it is now we'll be playing each other in the second division next year. I can't even say that we stink, we simply can't score. The number of 1-0 games we've lost where we've been the clearly better team is unbelievable. The only good news is that there are 3-4 other teams struggling as well, so if we can get our heads out of our rear ends in the second half we should be OK; we've got the talent but we're not getting the results.

Reaction Score
It's good to see Jahn having more success this year. If it keeps playing out like it is now we'll be playing each other in the second division next year. I can't even say that we stink, we simply can't score. The number of 1-0 games we've lost where we've been the clearly better team is unbelievable. The only good news is that there are 3-4 other teams struggling as well, so if we can get our heads out of our rear ends in the second half we should be OK; we've got the talent but we're not getting the results.
Mainz has had such a long run in the Bundesliga, but the 2. Bundesliga is heavily populated with former first division teams. That is part of the excitement - and tension - of having promotion and relegation in a country that has a very broad base of talent. Nothing will be certain with promotion back to the second Bundesliga until end of the season. Good luck to Mainz in the Rückrunde.

Reaction Score
Excitement in the DFB for the lesser leagues. Going into the semi-finals there is one 1.Bundesliga team, Leverkusen; two from the Zweite, Düsseldorf and 1.FC Kaiserslautern, and even a club from the 3. Liga, Saarbrücken (currently 9th in the 3. Liga) who beat Mönchengladbach today!

Reaction Score
Second Bundesliga sometimes outdraws the First. This is for Week 24
430103748_722391129881901_400566030816048973_n.jpg

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
There are some giants in Bundesliga 2. I hope Schalke can regain its footing and eventually get back to competing in the Bundesliga. The talent that played there years ago was mind blowing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom