Season 1. UMass. | The Boneyard

Season 1. UMass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Game week starts today. The routine starts today. Game week prep and practice. I'm not sure if there was a formal camp closing or what, but I bet there was, and the guys are all ready to take these next few months of 1-week seasons by the horns.

Season 1. UMass.

Renewing what I believe is the longest,oldest UConn football rivalry. Who cares if it's not, actually that - the longest, a technicality. It's a long rivalry, and they have actually won more than we have in the 70+ years or whatever it is..., so we need to take a step to even that up.

When UConn and UMass last played, they hung 62 points on us. We lost, if you're wondering. By a lot. UMass defensive co-ordinator in that game, was a wild man named Don Brown that's now coaching the UConn D. George Deleone had just produced a QB on offense that was picked #2 in the first round of the NFL draft. Paul Pasqualoni was Deleone's head coach. That's what was going on then, with our coachign leaders. Coach Brown actually was back at UMass since, and might even have a few connections with older players there still.

Most of our players, last time these two programs were squared up on the field, were in elementary school, well except that big guy from the lands of vikings. (the real ones - not the Minnesota ones)

UMass is in the process of doing now, what we did 12 years ago, with football. The connections go back a lot farther, when you bring up names like Dick MacPherson, etc.

Bottom line, is that it's season 1 for us. Season 1 started for the team today.

For me, all the story lines are nice. Lots of old timer history, all of which doesn't mean all that much to the younger generation, but UMass? -along those lines? UMass, depending on how things go in the future, scheduling wise, how the interest in this game turns out from both sides? just might be a nice bridge between the old and the new when it comes to playing football every fall.

Especially on their end, after we hang 60 points on them as a return favor for last time.

Anyway, I am simply waiting for that feeling of waking up next Thursday morning, when I get out of bed, and among the many first thoughts of the day is...."We're playing tonight." - and the smile that it will bring.

Season 1.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Game week starts today. The routine starts today. Game week prep and practice. I'm not sure if there was a formal camp closing or what, but I bet there was, and the guys are all ready to take these next few months of 1-week seasons by the horns.

Season 1. UMass.

Renewing what I believe is the longest,oldest UConn football rivalry. Who cares if it's not, actually that - the longest, a technicality. It's a long rivalry, and they have actually won more than we have in the 70+ years or whatever it is..., so we need to take a step to even that up.

When UConn and UMass last played, they hung 62 points on us. We lost, if you're wondering. By a lot. UMass defensive co-ordinator in that game, was a wild man named Don Brown that's now coaching the UConn D. George Deleone had just produced a QB on offense that was picked #2 in the first round of the NFL draft. Paul Pasqualoni was Deleone's head coach. That's what was going on then, with our coachign leaders. Coach Brown actually was back at UMass since, and might even have a few connections with older players there still.

Most of our players, last time these two programs were squared up on the field, were in elementary school, well except that big guy from the lands of vikings. (the real ones - not the Minnesota ones)

UMass is in the process of doing now, what we did 12 years ago, with football. The connections go back a lot farther, when you bring up names like Dick MacPherson, etc.

Bottom line, is that it's season 1 for us. Season 1 started for the team today.

For me, all the story lines are nice. Lots of old timer history, all of which doesn't mean all that much to the younger generation, but UMass? -along those lines? UMass, depending on how things go in the future, scheduling wise, how the interest in this game turns out from both sides? just might be a nice bridge between the old and the new when it comes to playing football every fall.

Especially on their end, after we hang 60 points on them as a return favor for last time.

Anyway, I am simply waiting for that feeling of waking up next Thursday morning, when I get out of bed, and among the many first thoughts of the day is...."We're playing tonight." - and the smile that it will bring.

Season 1.

I guess it's due to the fact that I attended UConn in the early to mid 90's, but the UMass game has a lot more meaning to me than just a new FBS opponent. There is some genuine hatred there. It's a hatred that I didn't have for many of our other former rivals, including URI or even Yale. It was "the UMass game!"

I know that must sound silly to anyone who has washed away the UConn 1-AA experience, but for some reason, it just won't die for me. I'm really looking forward to this game!! :mad:

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i heard that the team played a scrimmage best vs the rest at the rent yesterday. getting pumped for the season!

btw, umass so far is doing a great job. new unis, creating local buzz etc. for a just upgrading team they are above the curve. recruiting wise they are killing it considering everything. they will win the mac within 5 years is my guess the way they are going. one of the major point of that is that this area had no team on that level for kids to go. before it was temple and marshall. now its umass and marshall. kids are going to eat umass up on that level as they should. good for them. but its time to eat them up next thursday!

Reaction Score
I guess it's due to the fact that I attended UConn in the early to mid 90's, but the UMass game has a lot more meaning to me than just a new FBS opponent. There is some genuine hatred there. It's a hatred that I didn't have for many of our other former rivals, including URI or even Yale. It was "the UMass game!"

I know that must sound silly to anyone who has washed away the UConn 1-AA experience, but for some reason, it just won't die for me. I'm really looking forward to this game!! :mad:
I hear ya Dan. I'm class 96 and I remember how when umass basketball became relevant how we couldn't wait to get our hands on them but they wouldn't schedule it. Bc was a fun game to get into too Definitely could be a great rivalry. Would love to see a umass/bc alternate schedule every othe year.

Reaction Score
I wonder if UMass is going to think of us as a big rival the same way we think of BC as our big rival (new kid on the block vs. more established team, same recruiting territory, New England, etc.). Would be good for NE football for it to develop into a mini rivalry (until we play BC, that is)

Do they have an active board?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I wonder if UMass is going to think of us as a big rival the same way we think of BC as our big rival (new kid on the block vs. more established team, same recruiting territory, New England, etc.). Would be good for NE football for it to develop into a mini rivalry (until we play BC, that is)

Do they have an active board?

i lurk the maroon musket blog which has no forum but the guys there are doing a great job. i think umass fans have a bball forum somewhere where they post. they prob are just starting to get a fball positing presence somewhere.

Reaction Score
i heard that the team played a scrimmage best vs the rest at the rent yesterday. getting pumped for the season!

btw, umass so far is doing a great job. new unis, creating local buzz etc. for a just upgrading team they are above the curve. recruiting wise they are killing it considering everything. they will win the mac within 5 years is my guess the way they are going. one of the major point of that is that this area had no team on that level for kids to go. before it was temple and marshall. now its umass and marshall. kids are going to eat umass up on that level as they should. good for them. but its time to eat them up next thursday!

I don't know if he's a paid consultant or not (knowing Lew - hard to imagine it's pro bono), but Lew Perkins has been consulting w/ UMass about the entire thing. There are a lot of things I"m looking for on Thursday, most obviously, a thorough ass kicking of the minutemen (That mascot name always got some funny comments out of the women...)....but beyond that, the other stuff, no dead ball fouls, no procedure crap, personnel groupings moving in and out. I'm expecting a win. They better destroy UMass when the ball is live between whistles. I'm looking for all the stuff that happens between the whistles the other way, when the ball is dead and the play clock running.

Having a #1 QB for all of camp, should have that cleaned up quite a bit.

Reaction Score
I go back quite a bit further than lots of you guys, and I'm excited about the prospects of UMass, too. It was the conference rivalry game of the year every year. Yale was a different animal in those ancient days, playing at a level above us, plus talk about getting home field advantage...whew going into the Yale Bowl you needed to go 101 yard to score while the Elis only had to go 98...But there were a number of good games with UMass, upsets on both sides over the years.

For what its worth, Carl, Rhode Island is our oldest and longest opponent, first game was in Octobe 1897. Umass was November, 1897, plus we played Rhody more, something like 20 more games...but at least by the time I was there, UMass was unquestionably the biggest. Question of the day, what was their Mascot before they became the Minutemen?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Class of 99 (duh) here, and I definitely have a little splendid hatrid going on this week. It's hard to explain to non-UConn people, but I think we all understand here.

Reaction Score
So what are the subplots for game 1?

One thing I am interested in finding out is who is the # 2 RB and whether or not Joe Williams redshirts (I doubt it)

Hopefully the DJ will not be back.

Other subplots?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
So what are the subplots for game 1?

One thing I am interested in finding out is who is the # 2 RB and whether or not Joe Williams redshirts (I doubt it)

Hopefully the DJ will not be back.

Other subplots?

can we snap the ball?
who is the #3 wr behind moore and phillips?
how big of a drop off in the fg game from DT?

Reaction Score
can we snap the ball?
who is the #3 wr behind moore and phillips?
how big of a drop off in the fg game from DT?

Is Mateus a player and how long of a leash does he get. That is a big question. Behind Moore and Phillips I expect the usual suspects (Davis and Jones, maybe Foxx). I expect Guttierez to redshirt even though he caught a 60 yard TD pass during the second open practice which for some reason was never reported.

Reaction Score
Does the QB make the OL better by moving up in the pocket and getting rid of the ball.
Are all 11 of the defenders playing their responsibilities with few big play breakdowns.
Is Williams a slot star; the wides pull the Easley button; a TE makes AA.
Does a running back provide the Dixon/Brown/Todman power and burst.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest question is the quarterback situation. Do we actually have an average D1A passer after 8 years of struggle? there are a number of sub-plots, mostly dealing with backups I think, but that is the big question.

Reaction Score
When I was in High School, they were called the Redmen.

Orangemen, Redmen....so incredibly un-PC huh?

Off topic, but tehre was discussion recently on the uniform. Duncan, I'd love to see a throwback uniform in the arsenal with the old time helmet logo you've got over there on your posts.

Reaction Score
Sub plots:
-Does the O-line second stringers step up to the task in the second half of the season?
-Will the defense be able to give 100% for all four quarters? We had a few more games won last year if they
had the gas to finish.
-How much of a drop off will there be in the kicking game now that Teggart is gone? Our O-line could be stellar,
the defense should have enough gas to get to the finish line but if we can't be a consistent field goal kicking team.....
-Will Ryan Wirth wreak havoc in the games that count(NC ST, Maryland, Louisville, USF) and be named Big East defensive
player of the year?
-What about Syracuse and Pitt? Do they get pounded on their way out? Do they play spoilers? If we get an amazing TV
contract(much better than the ACC's) do they try and beg their way back in?

As for game 1 vs UMass:

- Do we lose anyone due to injury?
- Do they get to the quarterback at all?
-Is the place a sell out? How much noise is there in the fourth quarter?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UMass was the big game when I was school as well. Hated everything about them.

Reaction Score
Good stuff. And a great example of what should be our "throwback" uniforms...Blue jersey with white shoulders. Or reverse it. Now that would be cool. I was trying to figure out the formation. Didn't look like a true single wing, which I think would have still been popular in the 30s and early 40s.

Reaction Score
Let's hope that UMass is insignificant to UConn for at least 12 more years. UMass right now, is just the opener for the Huskies. The bigger rivalries occur in weeks 2 & 3. NC State and Maryland (ACC) are the games that take on real significance. Like it or not UConn needs to work hard to position itself as comparable to the Maryland's, Virginia's, NC State, North Carolina, etc. Not UMass - that was so Yankee Conference ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom