Sean Mulcahy’s UConn Report Card | The Boneyard

Sean Mulcahy’s UConn Report Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn-2/football/sean-mulcahys-report-card/

Just sharing...
Mulcahy’s Report Card

Former UConn defensive end and SNY studio analyst Sean Mulchay grades UConn’s 30-24 loss to Western Michigan.
Quarterback - Grade: B+

Mulcahy’s comments: If UConn won, Chander Whitmer would have received an A. Whitmer had the best game of his career finding Geremy Davis the most out of any receiver. Chandler was 28-44 for 333 yards, three touchdowns, an interception and a fumble. He has to limit the turnovers. We can see that Whitmer is mobile, so he needs to recognize the blitz and pressure coming from either direction. Getting sacked six times is not good, and that is not all on the O-line or running backs in the protection. The weather conditions did not help Whitmer either, his receivers dropped the ball no less than five times, unacceptable. He is getting better though.

Running back - Grade: B+

Comments:Lyle McCombs finally had over 100 yds rushing with 119 on 23 carries which came out to 5.2 ypc. All positives the O-line can work off with McCombs. He was able to find holes, and also had a nice 28-yard scamper. He also had 2 catches for 28 yards, 24 yards on his longest catch. The Broncos did not blitz that much, which proved helpful for UConn’s running game. McCombs has to find the end-zone more often. That is my only criticism. His pass protection was fairly good as well.

Wide receiver - Grade: C+

Comments: This was a tough grade because Whitmer finally got the ball out there to numerous receivers, especially Geremy Davis who caught nines balls for 123 and a touchdown. Major problem: Davis, Shakim Phillips, Nick Williams and Mike Smith all dropped the ball. That can’t happen! On a good note, this corps did adecent job blocking down field in order to spring McCombs for 100+ rushing yards.

Tight end - Grade: B+

Comments: Two touchdowns for John Delahunt and Ryan Griffen. Well done and also helped spring McCombs for 119.

Offensive line - Grade: D

Comments: Too many sacks against a poor Broncos defense. It would have been an F had Lyle McCombs not had his first 100 yard game of the season. This O-line shuffle has not made the big guys comfortable. I know it is affecting the whole O-line, because a six lineman rotation at various positions is not easy but good for the future. They just aren’t comfortable yet and it shows. The Broncos didn’t even blitz that much and have not been effective in pass rushing scenarios in their previous games. UConn’s O-line made the Broncos look much better than they were.

Defensive line - Grade: D

Comments: What happened here? A couple of guys get injured and no one steps up to make plays. Being a former D-lineman, I take this personally. Trevardo Williams still got a sack, but where was everyone else? Ryan Wirth played great against Maryland, but I don’t think he was as consistent this weekend. The D-line did hold the Bronco’s to just 77 yards on 30 carries, but did not get to QB Alex Carder enough. It was almost too late by the time he was knocked out of the game. Even though the Broncos’ O-lne was huge, I expected more out of Angelo Pruitt at defensive end and Shamar Stephan at tackle. The 9-yard TD run by Dareyon Chance was devastating in the 2nd quarter to go up 17-0.

Linebacker - Grade: C

Comments: This is another group that was missing Saturday. While Carder was passing a lot of under routes (underneath the safeties) the LB’s should have been in Carder’s face more. Rather than in coverage helping the 2-Deep (2 deep safeties), the LB’s needed to attack like the previous three games. Carder’s release is too quick, he is an NFL type guy and needs pressure in his face. We did not see that once out of Yawin Smallwood, Sio Moore, or Jory Johnson.

Secondary - Grade: C+

Comments: This group was by far the best on Saturday. They did not get a lot of help from their front 7. Blidi Wreh-Wilson continued to play well after bouncing back from injury with 7 tackles and 1 PBU as did Dwayne Gratz with six tackles, and one PBU as well. Someone has to come up with a big turnover. The safeties and corners need to strip the ball on big running or passing plays. I did not see enough guys going for the ball, but they did a decent job in open field tackling.

Special team - Grade: C+

Comments: Inconsistent by Christen, how do you miss a 52 yarder with the wind and make a 32 yarder against the wind. That was a momentum swing there. Coverage was good, no big plays allowed. UConn needs the big plays, Nick Williams should get a large return at least every game due to his ability.

Coaching - Grade: D

Comments: No good, if you don’t win you get a poor grade. It is almost like a Pass/Fail class for coaching. The offense moved the ball better, so kudos to DeLeone for having a 300 yard passer and 100 yard rusher. No kudos to Don Brown with only one sack and no turnovers, albeit Jory Johnson forced a fumble, but no recovery.

Edit (sorry for formatting - cut and paste job)

Reaction Score
Is he saying the LB's were told to do the wrong thing or just did the wrong thing. Either your assignment is to rush the QB or not, or am I missing something. His comment on LB is about the coaching scheme. If he said they should have been able to cover better and stop the short passes, then it would be on LB's. What he is saying about the LB's is like saying the QB didn't pass enough against a weak secondary when the coach calls all running plays.

Reaction Score
Is he saying the LB's were told to do the wrong thing or just did the wrong thing. Either your assignment is to rush the QB or not, or am I missing something. His comment on LB is about the coaching scheme. If he said they should have been able to cover better and stop the short passes, then it would be on LB's. What he is saying about the LB's is like saying the QB didn't pass enough against a weak secondary when the coach calls all running plays.

Ask him... @seanmulcahy14

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Somebody should tell Sean that 52>32.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Somebody should tell Sean that 52>32.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I've read about 7 of your posts the past couple days and literally none of them have been coherent thoughts

What Sean was saying is, how can you miss a 51 yard field goal WITH the wind and miss a 32 yard field goal INTO the wind......meaning it should be about the same either way (face palm....shake head)

Reaction Score
I've read about 7 of your posts the past couple days and literally none of them have been coherent thoughts

What Sean was saying is, how can you miss a 51 yard field goal WITH the wind and miss a 32 yard field goal INTO the wind......meaning it should be about the same either way (face palm....shake head)

Bob's point was perfectly coherent. It was a strange post because you'd be expected to miss a 52 yarder before a 32 yarder. Even with the wind at your back, the angle you have to make the kick, if you reach, changes.

Reaction Score
And it wasn't like it was a blistering gale he was kicking into... The comparison makes no sense. 32 yarder is a chip shot, 52 yarder is a percentage play.

Reaction Score

He said how can you miss a 51 yarder with the wind and MAKE a 32 yarder into the wind, not miss the 32 yarder, and it doesn't make any sense. He barely missed a 51 yard FG. It was a tough kick and he almost made it. then he hit a 32 yarder into the wind, does Mulcahy really think the wind makes the kick more difficult than 20 yards? It was an idiotic comment. He might as well have said, "he was inconsistent, he hit some, he missed some." I think it's a little harsh to judge the kicker a C b/c he missed a 51 yarder. One thing I think I have learned this season is that we're in pretty good shape at kicker

Reaction Score
I always view 50+ as a 50-50 proposition. Worth the risk but no gimme by any means. Even really good kickers can miss beyond 50 yards at a higher percentage than from in closer (well except Teggart...he seemed to make them form 50+ but struggled from 40-50).

Reaction Score
I always view 50+ as a 50-50 proposition. Worth the risk but no gimme by any means. Even really good kickers can miss beyond 50 yards at a higher percentage than from in closer (well except Teggart...he seemed to make them form 50+ but struggled from 40-50).

My thoughts exactly. Scott Norwood never made a kick over 45 yards on natural grass in the NFL ... and that's from narrower hash marks.

Reaction Score
The ducking kicker? that's what we're talking about now? Everybody hates kickers. If anyone's on a pass / fail grading system - it's kickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom