Sean McDonough: "You can make the case that UCONN is the worst team in the country" | The Boneyard

Sean McDonough: "You can make the case that UCONN is the worst team in the country"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Whoa, don't hold back Sean. I'm not saying that he was wrong necessarily, just wow. I thought announcers were supposed to stay impartial and try to pump UP both teams, no matter how awful, to keep viewership.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's not even close to true. They might be better than the three FBS teams they are closest to. Nevermind a dozen dregs in CUSA and MAC.

Reaction Score
Maybe in a category or two (rushing, sacks?); but, South Florida will fight UConn to their last breath this year for the title of worst FBS football team. UConn lost at home by 15 to a ranked FCS team. S Florida lost at home to an unranked (at the time) FCS team by 32 points. They then lost to Michigan State (call it a wash with UConn’s loss to Maryland) and then got beat by another ‘lower’ level FBS team by 18 while UConn lost by 3 to a nationally ranked Michigan.

Reaction Score
He said that to emphasize how shocking it was that we were handling Michigan with relative ease at that point. Not a big deal, though I certainly cringed when he said it.

Reaction Score
That quote taken out of context seems harsh, but his lead up to that statement justified his remarks a bit. This was a remark made prior to kickoff and he was discussing team stats and the differences between both teams. UConns team stats prior to that game are pretty terrible, especially being 122 of 123 in rushing offense. Add to it a loss to Towson and an 0-2 record and it is not exactly unjustified or outlandish.

Reaction Score
Consider the source...

He is Boston biased and based. He is the son of Globe sport's writer, Will. Further, he is a Syracuse grad and we know how they feel about UConn. I don't think he would say anything good about UConn if his pants were on fire. Take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Reaction Score
Consider the source...

He is Boston biased and based. He is the son of Globe sport's writer, Will. Further, he is a Syracuse grad and we know how they feel about UConn. I don't think he would say anything good about UConn if his pants were on fire. Take everything he says with a grain of salt.
Except when he broadcasted UConn hoops games. He worshiped at the altar of Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
It was a biased comment. You can never underestimate the loyalties of these yahoos in the media business. We actually could use a hell of a lot more "spokesmen and spokeswomen" in the media in places like McDonohue, but instead we've got guys like Ray Allen, and the rest of the NBA stars, and the every increasing numbers of players in the NFL, that are actually the spokespeople for UCONN,. Anybody see the tweet about Michigan merchandise that showed up from a prominent media member?

Here's a column from the Detroit Free Press - from a well known sports media writer that has no such bias, even though he's from Joisey, and went to Columbia.

"Yet somehow, against a team that was ranked 101st in the nation in defense, a team missing its top receiver (not that you could name him) and whose coach is supposedly on the hot seat, Michigan laid an East Coast egg. As the Huskies fans rubbed their East Coast eyes, their team outhustled, outtackled, outpassed, and out-cooled mighty U-M."

"No one can be surprised that, ultimately, UConn gave this one up on its own mistakes — the interception and a missed field goal chief among them. Experience counts for something, and the fourth quarter is much different than the first three."

http://www.freep.com/article/201309...huskes-brad-hoke-devin-gardner-desmond-morgan

Reaction Score
That quote taken out of context seems harsh, but his lead up to that statement justified his remarks a bit. This was a remark made prior to kickoff and he was discussing team stats and the differences between both teams. UConns team stats prior to that game are pretty terrible, especially being 122 of 123 in rushing offense. Add to it a loss to Towson and an 0-2 record and it is not exactly unjustified or outlandish.

Then he said it twice because I heard it during the game. It's not even close to say UConn could be considered the worse team in football. He just doesn't want to give any props to UConn, period.

Reaction Score
There is a cure to this...win games. First step, fire P and GDL . There is absolutely nothing to lose. Pull the Band-Aid off already.

Reaction Score
Whoa, don't hold back Sean. I'm not saying that he was wrong necessarily, just wow. I thought announcers were supposed to stay impartial and try to pump UP both teams, no matter how awful, to keep viewership.

Coming from the worst analyst in the country I'd take that as a compliment. Of course it's that huge talent gap between us and Towson that's to blame.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I was just surprised, that's all. I've never once heard an announcer call one of the teams being shown on broadcast as being the worst. Like I said earlier, most announcers try to continue to make an absurd case for why a huge underdog could win the game (i.e. - why you, the viewer, should continue watching this game). Just further illustration of how far PP/GDL have driven our program into the ground. Oh the joys of being a UCONN fan!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You can make the case that McDonough is the biggest in the country.

Reaction Score
Kind of surprised by this comment. Hes done probably 100 UConn basketball games over the years and i never thought he was anti UConn in any way...even when they played Syracuse. Keep in mind he has one of the best calls in UConn history with the 1998 Sweet Sixteen game vs Washington.

Reaction Score
He was hard on us the other night but he loves UConn Basketball. I've always felt he was more than fair with us.

I think the fact that our football team sucks is making us sensitive. Imagine his same commentary in reference to Duke or Iowa State, you wouldn't even care or notice.

Reaction Score
That's right. Only WE can make the case that we are the worst. Outsiders must show respect!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
We're an underdog to buffalo - is he even that close to wrong?

Reaction Score
Maybe I misremember but I thought that statement was specifically in reference to our running game.

Reaction Score
Maybe I misremember but I thought that statement was specifically in reference to our running game.

It was said after we took the lead. Then 2 minutes later he said we were ranked 101 in both offense and defense. He had no business saying it like he did.

It was basically said like "Can you believe Michigan is losing to the worst team in football?"

Reaction Score
Don't get the hate for McDonough - he's called a lot of iconic UConn hoops games over the years, and at no point did he have anything but good things to say about the coach and program.

He tends to hyperbolize, even with his own school. When he was announcing the Georgetown-Syracuse game last year (the one in Georgetown where Syracuse got railed) he claimed Syracuse was "drifting towards bubbleville" even when they were clearly no where near the bubble.

He's one of the best play by play guys in the business, and one of the things I'll miss most about the Big East is him, Raf, and Bilas calling games.

Reaction Score
Don't get the hate for McDonough - he's called a lot of iconic UConn hoops games over the years, and at no point did he have anything but good things to say about the coach and program.

He tends to hyperbolize, even with his own school. When he was announcing the Georgetown-Syracuse game last year (the one in Georgetown where Syracuse got railed) he claimed Syracuse was "drifting towards bubbleville" even when they were clearly no where near the bubble.

He's one of the best play by play guys in the business, and one of the things I'll miss most about the Big East is him, Raf, and Bilas calling games.

Bubbleville and worst are pretty close. I guess you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom