Screaming And Cursing Coaches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Screaming And Cursing Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I can't see how profanity can be an issue since most of the players routinely use language that would make a sailor blush. I think the real problem is that too many players consider themselves "precious." One harsh criticism from a coach and they consider themselves abused.

On a recent flight we were seated in front of a young mother and her toddler son when I heard "I told you no more duck*ing candy. Now be duck*ing quiet. It's who we are these days.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine that is a referee/ head WBB & MBB ref scheduler in CT worked the table during the Big East WBB Tournament at the XL Center!
He comes back the day after the semi's several years ago, and asks "who is the Head Coach at Rutgers? I've had 2 of her games so far, and almost every word out of her mouth is some form of duck! To her players, Assts. Refs, anyone she talks to on the BB court she has the dirtiest mouth I've heard on a HC and that includes most men coaches!" We WBB fans told him it was C. Vivian Stringer, and he said how does she keep her job? She's nasty!"
By the way he loved Muffett McGraw's legs!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Once again, I rely on Mark Twain for guidance.

He was known to often express himself by cussing. His wife was uncomfortable with this trait, so she tried a novel solution to remedy this dreadful habit.

As Mark was about to go out to a lecture, she (deliberately) fumbled while attempting to tie his bow tie. Exasperated, she unleashed a torrent of cuss words. Mark's gaze never wavered. He looked at her coolly and said:

"Livvy, you've got the words, but not the music."

I guess some coaches are like that - they've got the words, but not the music.;)

Reaction Score
It was a different society, and he had a very different upbringing than Geno. The use of blasphemy in public and in private is much more acceptable, though there is still a distinction between that and the cruder kinds of 'curse' words. And some of the words that started as 'vulgar' have become disassociated with their original meaning most of the time - word and s word becoming as common and carrying the same meaning as 'damn it' used to.
You are correct--it was a different time, different morals, different culture. I, was raised early on, in a community with lots of old world Italians (made their own wine and the best pasta and gravy) they were much like Geno's mom and they didnt allow any of that in their houses. So I doubt Geno was raised much differently.
When I went into the military and returned home from boot camp 12 weeks later I had hear F this and so often it took great restraint not to use it as a verb or adverb, after service, it rarely crept into my usage. I served in the Army and Navy. I'm with a lot of Veteran organizations can't remember them being crude. If you choose you can speak properly.
Everything you say is true--but in polite company, with relatives, with parents, with professional business associates--it would be a bit foolhardy to use it frequently--it still offends me to hear it used in the presence of women, yea I know they too use it (I read lips and DT regularly used it ).
Not in my house I respect my wife more than that..No I wasn't educated in a seminary nor was my wife in a convent--and if I was speaking to any member of a Womens team (knowing the use of F) no swear or curse would invade that speaking. RESPECT~~!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A friend of mine that is a referee/ head WBB & MBB ref scheduler in CT worked the table during the Big East WBB Tournament at the XL Center!
He comes back the day after the semi's several years ago, and asks "who is the Head Coach at Rutgers? I've had 2 of her games so far, and almost every word out of her mouth is some form of duck! To her players, Assts. Refs, anyone she talks to on the BB court she has the dirtiest mouth I've heard on a HC and that includes most men coaches!" We WBB fans told him it was C. Vivian Stringer, and he said how does she keep her job? She's nasty!"
By the way he loved Muffett McGraw's legs!

It comes down to RESPECT---seems there is a song --to go with Kibitzers Words. Livvy!!
What candidate (who use it frequently) would be elected if it was heard in an open mike
Look a Rubio's loss--directly related to his hand size comment, must less but crude.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I grew up in Storrs in as the child of an english professor and a minister's daughter - I don't think I ever heard my mother swear, but in moments of stress when my father couldn't find his glasses for example the profanity did come out. But I never was allowed to use that language in the house, and and S word were never part of his vocabulary - but amongst my friends in HS an college it was pretty common. And in my first workplaces which were threatens and scene shops, it was very common. When I changed to a career in business, it was dropped from my vocabulary again. I have never really distinguished usage with gender, but rather with environment and have always seen a distinction between location and attire - office and living room having a different vocabulary from job site and sporting venue just as slacks loafers and button down shirt from jeans work boots and t-shirt or sneakers, sweats and sweatshirt. Formality of location and attire requiring more former vocabulary. 'Gentility' of activity having a civilizing effect on speech.

I have never been offended by colorful language being used in what I consider a suitable venue, but have been shocked by it being used in more formal locations.

I do think coaches shouting profanities in games at a volume that carries beyond the front rows is not good - those in the front rows paid extra for the privilege of being able to listen! :cool:

Reaction Score
The logic obviously went right over your head, BV. Pinocchio was wooden, Pinocchio was Italian, ergo Wooden was Italian. Same reason fire trucks are red, sort of.
I got it and I stated the obvious--you missed it!! When we (you and me) are obtuse the replies are seldom obvious.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Storrs in as the child of an english professor and a minister's daughter - I don't think I ever heard my mother swear, but in moments of stress when my father couldn't find his glasses for example the profanity did come out. But I never was allowed to use that language in the house, and and S word were never part of his vocabulary - but amongst my friends in HS an college it was pretty common. And in my first workplaces which were threatens and scene shops, it was very common. When I changed to a career in business, it was dropped from my vocabulary again. I have never really distinguished usage with gender, but rather with environment and have always seen a distinction between location and attire - office and living room having a different vocabulary from job site and sporting venue just as slacks loafers and button down shirt from jeans work boots and t-shirt or sneakers, sweats and sweatshirt. Formality of location and attire requiring more former vocabulary. 'Gentility' of activity having a civilizing effect on speech.

I have never been offended by colorful language being used in what I consider a suitable venue, but have been shocked by it being used in more formal locations.

I do think coaches shouting profanities in games at a volume that carries beyond the front rows is not good - those in the front rows paid extra for the privilege of being able to listen! :cool:

Interesting my father was a Carpenter and often in times of need he was a truck driver. I rode with him a lot, mingled with him and his brothers and fellow workers and strangers--I never hear him use anything other than common defecation(common usage) on rare occasions. His family was so poorly educated, except for Sunday school (which he had little use for), you could call them ignorant (but never to their faces or you'd pay), two of his 8 brothers went to high school, the rest (he went to 6th grade then began working) 2nd grade and worked the family business--logging. I guess he just wasn't REALLY educated. My mother went to 2 years college--considered over educated by relatives.
She insisted I would go to college begged borrowed, wouldn't steal to provide that start--the GI bill did the rest and as a person of intellect, common sense I don't hold a candle to my father.

Reaction Score

If you grew up in Storrs you remember the Quonsett huts behind the ROTC?? Or the ones where the Rathskeller began next to the centrifuge. I had a all University Elecric/electronic lab there non teaching research assistant..

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thank Java man. I watched a Duke womens game and was apalled at the stuff coming out of the coaches mouth. If your reading this and what I said makes you mad, bet you talk like her, and think its right to have a trash mouth..sorry, just saying. Theres no need for it.

No ill will intended by me. Im wondering if John Wooden spoke like that... Don't even try to visit my house. ....I'm waiting for allegations against many, many other coaches...no kiddin.

I suppose sitting within earshot of the UCONN bench would be like sitting near a bunch of church ladies during a Sunday School session ?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No, what i read doesnt make me mad....for the record I dont use profanity... and I rather not be around it either.... but its inevitable that you hear it during games, at work....and in public..

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If you grew up in Storrs you remember the Quonsett huts behind the ROTC?? Or the ones where the Rathskeller began next to the centrifuge. I had a all University Elecric/electronic lab there non teaching research assistant..
My parents first lived in a set of army surplus housing affectionately called 'oil can row' because the heating oil for each building was an oil barrel on wooden supports behind each one. They had moved 'up scale' into the mansfield apartments when oil can row was torn down. I came along in the mid-fifties and can hardly recognize the campus anymore - I miss the apple orchards which used to be were the parking garage for Gampel is now. They used to sell bushels of a wide variety of apples every fall.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1 - Ministers are not exempt. A female pastor my wife worked for used the "s" word in a staff meeting and one of the old church fogies tried to explain that it didn't mean what it sounded like. The pastor explained that it pretty much meant exactly what it sounded like. Also, I was alone in the lunch room waiting for my wife when the pastor walked in and exclaimed the "f" word. Didn't realize I was there, but then I wasn't a parishioner so all was good.
2 - I have heard the CVS story a few times. Take it with a grain of salt. She loves to say "f" and "s" words, but usually not in sentences. And she is very soft spoken, even from the bench. We sat directly behind the bench at numerous games and could rarely hear her, regardless of what direction she looked. She certainly didn't curse at the refs, in fact, Dennis DeMayo was sent to a fan club meeting from the BE to talk about reffing and commented that she rarely talked to the refs at all. Based on observation - when she did, she was usually irate.
3 - Also sat behind the UConn bench many years ago. Geno is a hoot. Not necessarily particularly profane, although his remarks could be taken as offensive if you had no idea of his style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom