Scheduling Question - UMass | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Scheduling Question - UMass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Schedule Umass on a regular basis and hope they get good. At the risk of sending some of you young chest thumpers into a fit of rage indulge an old man for a minute. There is a history between the two schools. When I was young (around the time the dinosaurs were leaving footprints in Rocky Hill) UConn/Umass was very important. It was one of three college games that mattered in southern New England most years along with Harvard/Yale and BC/Holy Cross. In the 50's & 60's UConn and Umass each ran off a string of wins that just drove the other fan base crazy. I know we are "above" them now but just think for a minute. Outside of maybe Rutgers is there a more natural rivalry than Umass if they are half way decent. Don't say BC because unless we get into the ACC or play in a bowl, that will probably not happen.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UMass is a very good non-conference game for UConn to play annually. It is a game we should win but one that should generate at least regional interest. Forget about not playing at UMass. UMass is probably the most desirable guarantee opponent in the MWC, Sun Belt, MAC and CUSA combined. I expect them to command the highest guarantee fees and be able to fill their schedule for the next 10 years if they want to.

UMass is the only big state, anchor school that will do guarantee games. That makes them much more valuable to an Alabama or Michigan which wants credible opponents that are willing to do guarantee games. UConn will not be dictating terms to UMass.

What do you mean by "guarantee" game? Why would UMass be the most desirable "guarantee" opponent? Pro stadium, recruiting?

I don't follow.

Reaction Score
It's better than playing *pause and yawn* Buffalo I will tell you that.

I hate playing them every year, it would be nice like once every 10 years or so, but every year is a sleepy game.

Reaction Score
UMass is a very good non-conference game for UConn to play annually. It is a game we should win but one that should generate at least regional interest. Forget about not playing at UMass. UMass is probably the most desirable guarantee opponent in the MWC, Sun Belt, MAC and CUSA combined. I expect them to command the highest guarantee fees and be able to fill their schedule for the next 10 years if they want to.

UMass is the only big state, anchor school that will do guarantee games. That makes them much more valuable to an Alabama or Michigan which wants credible opponents that are willing to do guarantee games. UConn will not be dictating terms to UMass.
Our OOC schedule is booked through 2014, while your 2014 OOC is empty. While a 2-1 maybe possible, we have no issues with OOC scheduling.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-east/connecticut-huskies.php

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/mid-amer/umass-minutemen.php

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What do you mean by "guarantee" game? Why would UMass be the most desirable "guarantee" opponent? Pro stadium, recruiting?

I don't follow.

"Guarantee Game" is a term for an opponent that is paid to show up, and usually, get beaten. It is how most lesser conference schools make their budget. The price for these games is about $1MM+ for a FBS school, to about $400k for a high level FCS, to $250k for a low lever FCS. I expect UMass will get well over $1MM. We can't afford UMass. In fact, UConn can afford maybe one of these games a year, maybe less, which is why UConn plays so many 2 for 1's and even 1 for 1's with lower level FBS programs.

Money and fan base drive so much of scheduling. Programs like LSU have fans that will show up to see 80-3 stompings of high school steams, because their fans do not care who or how many cupcakes they play. Most ACC, Big East and even some Pac 12 and lower tier Big 10 and Big 12 schools do not have that luxury. They need to schedule well or fans won't buy season tickets. More home games can actually hurt season ticket sales if there is not quality competition. Note that Indiana, BCU and Colorado are scheduling road games to UMass already. They can't afford the guarantee fee for UMass, but one less home game doesn't hurt their season ticket sales, especially if they win it and get 2 future home games in return that they don't have to pay a guarantee for.

This is why Big East, ACC, most of the Pac 12, and lower tier Big 12 and Big 10 schools generally play tougher schedules than the schools in those conferences with larger fan bases.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
"Guarantee Game" is a term for an opponent that is paid to show up, and usually, get beaten. It is how most lesser conference schools make their budget. The price for these games is about $1MM+ for a FBS school, to about $400k for a high level FCS, to $250k for a low lever FCS. I expect UMass will get well over $1MM. We can't afford UMass. In fact, UConn can afford maybe one of these games a year, maybe less, which is why UConn plays so many 2 for 1's and even 1 for 1's with lower level FBS programs.

Money and fan base drive so much of scheduling. Programs like LSU have fans that will show up to see 80-3 stompings of high school steams, because their fans do not care who or how many cupcakes they play. Most ACC, Big East and even some Pac 12 and lower tier Big 10 and Big 12 schools do not have that luxury. They need to schedule well or fans won't buy season tickets. More home games can actually hurt season ticket sales if there is not quality competition. Note that Indiana, BCU and Colorado are scheduling road games to UMass already. They can't afford the guarantee fee for UMass, but one less home game doesn't hurt their season ticket sales, especially if they win it and get 2 future home games in return that they don't have to pay a guarantee for.

This is why Big East, ACC, most of the Pac 12, and lower tier Big 12 and Big 10 schools generally play tougher schedules than the schools in those conferences with larger fan bases.

Ah, that's what I had figured the term 'guarantee game' meant, but I wasn't entirely sure, though I am aware of the process.

If a guarantee game with a FBS school is about $1MM, why would UMass going into season 1 of a FCS to FBS upgrade to the MAC conference, expect the top amount for these guarantee games?

Reaction Score
In fact, UConn can afford maybe one of these games a year, maybe less, which is why UConn plays so many 2 for 1's and even 1 for 1's with lower level FBS programs.
Where the heck do you see us playing 2-for-1 series? The only lopsided series I can see since we went FBS was against Notre Dame. Played one game at ND and that's it. UMass is in a totally different boat. They are in a very low level FBS conference. They have no choice. Can we expect UMass to go to C-USA for all sports in the near future?

Edit: Found a 2 for 1 with Vanderbilt. That's all I can find.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ah, that's what I had figured the term 'guarantee game' meant, but I wasn't entirely sure, though I am aware of the process.

If a guarantee game with a FBS school is about $1MM, why would UMass going into season 1 of a FCS to FBS upgrade to the MAC conference, expect the top amount for these guarantee games?

Because Tennessee or Alabama or whoever UMass is playing doesn't care that UMass is in season 1. All it cares about is that the University of a state is coming to play them, which is better than Toledo or Eastern Michigan or Arkansas State which no one cares about. UMass is the flagship university of a big state, and they are the only one like them that will play guarantee games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Where the heck do you see us playing 2-for-1 series? The only lopsided series I can see since we went FBS was against Notre Dame. Played one game at ND and that's it. UMass is in a totally different boat. They are in a very low level FBS conference. They have no choice. Can we expect UMass to go to C-USA for all sports in the near future?

Edit: Found a 2 for 1 with Vanderbilt. That's all I can find.

I mean the other direction. WMU is a 2 for 1 with UConn, right? The Akron games may be the only FBS guarantee games UConn ever bought. Army, Temple, and Buffalo or 2 for 2's. Kent State was a 1 for 1. The major conference opponents were all 1-for-1's, except Vandy and GTech, which were 1 for 2's.

Reaction Score
You know what I"m excited about UMass for? August 30, 2012. Opening night of the 2012 season, at home.

There was a time when UConn v. UMass was a big rivaly game. Unfortunately, the truth of the matter, is that even at it's best, and most recently there were were less than 20,000 people that really cared, combined following from both programs....really. I was at the last game we won in Amherst in 1998, dramatic game, Marcel Shipp ran for something like 275 yards on us, but a stafford-bond TD pass tied the game 27-27 in the fourth, and the extra point won the game 28-27, defense finally held on in the 4th quarter. It was a great game, with future NFL players on the field. Both programs, played at 1-AA, and if I remember correctly, that was our one season in the A-10 conference. A lower level of football, and it is what it is. Attendance was about 15,000 that day, generously. That 1998 season, for us, to date, is still our only season in over a century, with double digit wins.

(hopefully that changes this year....)

UConn, in the meantime since our last win against UMass, has transformed our football program, strikingly, dramatically. UConn has averaged 38k+ attendance at home for going on 10 years now. Coming off a 5-7 season, with all the factors involved, conference shifting, coaching change, etc. etc.....UMass, not having much of following right now.....I will not be surprised if this UConn/UMass game in just over 4 weeks, will be one of the lowest gate counts in a long time.

Casual sports fans in CT, and Mass, are fickle, spoiled almost , and as much as we diehards are so very proud of everything the football program has accomplished, UConn football is barely a blip on the radar for the average sports fan in CT, in the northeast.

It's going to take winning, at a level we haven't achieved yet, to get the band wagon rolling in a big way.

And we've got a new season to make it happen, and it starts with getting a nice revenge day on the 62 point loss, that UMass hung on us in 1999 in Storrs, last we played.

As for future scheduling? I'm looking for much bigger things from Mr. Manuel, than and extended contract with UMass. Our future non-conference schedule is a blank slate, minus I think four dates, over the next several years (Tenn, Virg).

Frankly, it's getting a little worrisome.

Reaction Score
It is amazing that we don't have 1 OOC game scheduled for 2014. That can't be right, can it?

Reaction Score
It is amazing that we don't have 1 OOC game scheduled for 2014. That can't be right, can it?

I've been talking about this for a little while now Jimmy. There's nothign public for 2014. When Manuel first got on the job several months ago, this was a big deal. The way Hathaway let the program get to it - was a big deal.

Now - having a wide open schedule, can be a very positive thing too. You can do all kinds of things with scheduling, but as the weeks go by, as we get into the 2012 season, all of those holes in the schedule coming, turn into big problems, rather than benefits.

I understand that the conference shifiting issue, scheduling and no TV contract and all that are a big part of why there hasn't been any movement on the future schedule at all, but my hope, is that as soon as the TV negotiations get going, and as soon as the new conference commish is in place, and things start to solidify in reality for the Big East in a few weeks...and we get a good idea of what the conference game scheduling models are going to be.....that we'll start to see some flooding of news on the non-conference scheduling front.

I know that an AD has got a lot to do, at a university the size of CT, and with the personalities and programs we've got at UConn, but to me the, single most important thing that Manuel has got on his plate right now, and from the moment he got here, is not the men's b-ball APR, or the men's b-ball facilities, etc. etyc.

The single most important thing - is the future scheduling of UConn football, I hope he's got a whole plan in the works, with major non-conference opponents coming in to Rentschler at least once annually, ready to just unfold as soon as the dates, times, and broadcasting stuff starts to fall into place.

Time will tell.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

If that slate remains open much longer, you will see UConn selling a road game to a power program.

Reaction Score
I doubt the schedule will be open much longer. Might not be open right now for that matter. I suspect more than anything else this is a function of conference reorganization...nobody knew until recently when, who would be where for 2014. Wouldn't be shocked to see Syracuse on that schedule. I have heard that there is some deal with the B-12 as part of the West Virginia deal, too so don't be all that surprised if Iowa State, Baylor or one of the Kansases or somebody shows up again for a home-home, probably starting in 2014. I realize that they may not have openings currently but scheudles have been moved around before, and will be again.

Reaction Score
I'm all for a regular series with UMass. All those that say we should avoid them have no right to complain about BC not playing us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If UMass replaces FCS two for one, I'm good with it. If they only replace Buffalo then it's the most minimal upgrade one could make.

Reaction Score
Where the heck do you see us playing 2-for-1 series? The only lopsided series I can see since we went FBS was against Notre Dame. Played one game at ND and that's it. UMass is in a totally different boat. They are in a very low level FBS conference. They have no choice. Can we expect UMass to go to C-USA for all sports in the near future?.
NO

C-USA is not worth the change compared to the A10/MAC combo. Temple signed a very costly contract with the MAC, which made our FBS MAC membership possible. Conference realignment has been painful for the Big East, but at least the Nova blockade has faded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom